Korg MicroKontrol with Reason for electro/house music?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg MicroKontrol with Reason for electro/house music?

Postby jimmyasquith » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:04 pm

I'm wanting to make electro/house music, like the Ed Banger label and European underground stuff (Justice, Daft Punk, Sebastian, Goose, Jence, Digitalism, MSTRKRFT, Mr Oizo.)

I like that heavy fuzzed up bass/synth sound but also the funky (more poppy?!) disco sound that some of the acts do.

Do you think this setup would be good for this? I am on a budget of about £400-500.

Also, do they work together well?
jimmyasquith

Advertisement:

Postby fletriste » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:43 pm

you might consider switching the korg for a Yamaha Cbx-1 controller. i got mine for £20. it runs on battereies, is tough as nails and is great to work with.
fletriste

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 am

They should work together fine, but consider looking at Ableton Live instead of Reason, you can record into it (for vocals etc)and can use any softsynth or effect you want, with Reason you're stuck with what comes in the box.

I'd also have a play with the microkontrol before you buy one, make sure you can live with the tiny keys. I for one think they're too small to be of any use, but then I've got big hands.

Live is a bit better than reason for that kind of stuff cause it's easier to chop up samples and fuck with them. There's a free demo of Live available from http://www.ableton.com/downloads check it out before you commit any money to software.

If you decide to buy Live the cheapest way to get it is to buy a Behringer FCA202 which comes with Live Lite, then upgrade the light version to the full version for half the full version's price.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Korg MicroKontrol with Reason for electro/house music?

Postby crystalmsc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:01 am

jimmyasquith wrote:I like that heavy fuzzed up bass/synth sound but also the funky (more poppy?!) disco sound that some of the acts do.

I'd consider a used X-station 25 which oftenly goes for very cheap over the microkontrol. With that you will get a nice hardware synth with a cool sounding distortion fx and filter overdrive, for that dirty up bass/synth sound. Also there are many banks available for those pop type of sounds including the Jamiroquai bank. It also an audio interface that able to process your other gear with the fxs (not the engine) and to record audio to your daw. Also it's a nice controller that will work with both Live and Reason as a part of the factory templates. It got a much better feeling keys with aftertouch and a X-Y pad. I would choose 25 proper keys over 37 smallish for that bass/synth line. if you need more portability, look for the XIO synth which have the X-engine with several differences. but that didn't have an aftertouch.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,MS20m,mntrb,Volcas,WD1
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline