Cv\Gate on a Korg 800DV

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Cv\Gate on a Korg 800DV

Postby Broken Synthacon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Is there any way to control an 800DV via CV\Gate using the existing ports?
Broken Synthacon

Advertisement:

Postby Vast Halo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:10 pm

No. According to Bluesynths, a stock 800DV has no provision for external control of pitch. Weirdly, Univox's Maxi-Korg, an otherwise identical variant of the 800DV, does feature CV and Gate sockets.

I own a Korg 770 (essentially half an 880DV), which had a Kenton kit fitted to it to provide CV and Gate In. Perhaps Kenton could adapt their design to provide control over one or even both of an 800DV's voices.
Vast Halo

Postby Broken Synthacon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:23 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Interesting...I have the Univox version. I'll check it again, but I don't remember it having ports labelled CV and gate. However, there are accessory ports.
Broken Synthacon

Postby Dirk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 am

There are several versions of the 800DV, I've so far seen three.
All with different logo's to.

The assessory ports are there so you can insert an efx between the vco and vcf. :twisted:

It must be very eazy to put CV/gate on it, but it will have Hz/V instead of V/oct. So be sure your midi to cv converter can handle that. Or diy a V/Oct to Hz/V converter, but thats not eazy. When time allowes I will make CV/gate on my 800DV and 700.

Here's the schematics: http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=AN4RGLV1
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.
Dirk

Postby Micke » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Afaik neither version* had CV/gate. According to the owners manual for the Maxi-korg, the "accessory" jacks are for coupling external effects units into the "upper" or/and "lower" oscillators.

I reckon therefore that the Maxi-korg reviewed at Bluesynths has been modified.

* Korg 800 DV and Univox Maxikorg K-3
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby bill H. » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:38 pm

To answer the original question, there is no way to control CV/gate using the accessory jacks.

My own Maxi-Korg, and several others I've seen over the years, have accessory jacks. I think they're all that way. I've never seen one where they've been replaced with CV/gates. I think that this is an internet error listed by someone that's kind of caught on and spread around because these synths are so rare, and few have seen them in person or actually used them.

I could be wrong so if anyone actually has an 800 or Maxi-Korg K3 with factory CV/gates please correct me.
bill H.

Postby drawtippy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:10 pm

As far as I know, no versions of "The Maxipad" have CV/gate options. However, I reached to fellow owner insky on this matter and this is where he pointed me.

"The MIDI JACK II from Synhouse is what you want to use to midi your 800DV. Although it doesn't claim to support the 800dv they explain in their site that it will work for the 800DV, but it will not be able to play duophonically."

Haven't ordered it yet but I want to. I think I'll let a tech handle the job and go over the synth as well. BTW, it took me about a year and half to find this rare beast but wow, does it sound amazing!
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox
drawtippy

Band: Draw Tippy

Postby Broken Synthacon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I did some searching and found a CV/Gate kit for the 800dv offered by Analog Solutions. It sounds pretty useful: "CV (HZ/V), Gate, Traveller (x2) CV ins - all x2"

Anyone have experience with this kit?
Broken Synthacon

Postby Dirk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Broken Synthacon wrote:Thanks everyone for your help. I did some searching and found a CV/Gate kit for the 800dv offered by Analog Solutions. It sounds pretty useful: "CV (HZ/V), Gate, Traveller (x2) CV ins - all x2"

Anyone have experience with this kit?

I want to know to.
Dirk

Postby Dirk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:49 am

Dirk

Return to General Synthesizers