Moog Murf or Frostwave Resonator

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Moog Murf or Frostwave Resonator

Postby wiss » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:13 am

I am debating between the two....I am looking for something that will give me smooth underwater effect....

a lof of the murf sounds like a tremolo from the demos and I havent heard much from the Frostwave but rave reviews in mags...
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Advertisement:

Postby MissionBrown » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:43 pm

2 different filter mate.

The Frostwave is based off the MS20 filter and doesn't have any inbuilt LFO the Murf on the other hand is a Sequenced multi band notch filter(try saying that three times quickly!)

The murf is capable of quite a bit and I just discovered the inbuilt LFO on non animated mode, damn cool wierd vibrato effect, sometimes it sounds like a phaser others its like a delay the murf has a tendency to trick your ears, as a tremolo its beatuiful too.

On slower speeds it can sound a little like a flanger and its also a pretty neat graphic EQ.

The murf will give you underwater, backwards and a whole lot more.
The demos don't do it justice!
MissionBrown

Postby dracena » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:05 pm

anybody knows where to buy the frostwave resonator (and other frostwave products) in europe?

sorry, a little offtopic but i don't want to start a new topic since we're already talking about the resonator here...
dracena

Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,
909,707,626,Drumtraks,dr110,kpr77

Postby ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:09 pm

the_undercutters wrote:The murf is capable of quite a bit and I just discovered the inbuilt LFO on non animated mode, damn cool wierd vibrato effect, sometimes it sounds like a phaser others its like a delay the murf has a tendency to trick your ears, as a tremolo its beatuiful too.

On slower speeds it can sound a little like a flanger and its also a pretty neat graphic EQ.

+1

The MuRF can be a little unwieldy at first, but you just have to get used to it, and explore it. It is definitely a unique effect.

If you are just looking for simple filtering, I would go for the Resonator. If you want a filter with an LFO that can do some crazy tremelo, phaser, even delay-ish effects, get the MuRF. It can definitely do some 'underwater' tones.
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:19 am

dracena wrote:anybody knows where to buy the frostwave resonator (and other frostwave products) in europe?

sorry, a little offtopic but i don't want to start a new topic since we're already talking about the resonator here...

http://www.frostwave.com
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby sequence » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:21 am

I'd go with the MurF because Foogers integrate well together :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man
sequence

Postby dracena » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:32 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
dracena wrote:anybody knows where to buy the frostwave resonator (and other frostwave products) in europe?...

http://www.frostwave.com

OK, thanks :wink:

I just realised they don't have international distribution, only direct purchase from Australia.
dracena

Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,
909,707,626,Drumtraks,dr110,kpr77

Postby MissionBrown » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:38 am

sequence wrote:I'd go with the MurF because Foogers integrate well together :D

The Murf is also the only fooger I have left in my collection, though I want the freqbox one day... after I've paid off the Andromeda
MissionBrown

Postby Peake » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:39 am

the_undercutters wrote: snip
The murf is capable of quite a bit and I just discovered the inbuilt LFO on non animated mode, damn cool wierd vibrato effect, sometimes it sounds like a phaser others its like a delay the murf has a tendency to trick your ears, as a tremolo its beatuiful too.

I'd like to hear these things, if you would post an mp3. Please...
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT
Peake

Postby depecheNIN » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:01 am

the_undercutters wrote:

The Murf is also the only fooger I have left in my collection, though I want the freqbox one day... after I've paid off the Andromeda

Which ones did you have and why did you trade them back in?

I ask because it seems like they might add a nice analog touch my digital synths...
depecheNIN

Postby MissionBrown » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:20 am

depecheNIN wrote:
the_undercutters wrote:

Which ones did you have and why did you trade them back in?

I ask because it seems like they might add a nice analog touch my digital synths...

honestly I think the foogers are bloody fantastic.
The ONLY reason I sold any of 'em is because I've built my own modular from Ray Wilson's designs(music from outer space) and had something close to the functionality of the foogers and more!

I had the MF 101, CP 251 and MF 102
The murf is special sounding so I couldn't part with it.
All the others were nice and quiet ad added a lot to tone and all that but the Andromeda does a couple of those things too. I also still ahve an MS10 so it seemed like I was getting full up on low pass filters!

PLease... if I don't make sense.... its the beeer
MissionBrown

Postby brian.only » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:37 am

another vote for the Murf-

It is one of the most expressive pedals I've ever played-
as already stated it can do whooshy underwater and shimmery phasing.
I have lots of fun putting every pedal I own before or after this lil beastie in the chain- permagrin. can do subtle to ridiculous.
envelope control w/ a pedal is addictive and satisfying.
I tend to use the non animated setting for vocals a ton.
The drive setting is really handy for builds, and the tap tempo is awesome for stage use w/ a drummer or arpeggiator.
it also really sounds good on guitar, elec piano, and makes my mono/poly and cs01 f_cking shine like the sun.
The lower bands almost seem to breathe- spooky and sexy all in one.

I have only messed w/ the frostwave for 15min on a k2600 so its a hard to really compare but it seemed a bit more friendly in terms of the learning curve.

I almost feel cheated- like reading an authors best book first- none of the other foogers look exciting anymore by themselves. good thing you can chain them up :wink:
sell me your KS5!
brian.only

Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Postby brian.only » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:37 am

another vote for the Murf-

It is one of the most expressive pedals I've ever played-
as already stated it can do whooshy underwater and shimmery phasing.
I have lots of fun putting every pedal I own before or after this lil beastie in the chain- permagrin. can do subtle to ridiculous.
envelope control w/ a pedal is addictive and satisfying.
I tend to use the non animated setting for vocals a ton.
The drive setting is really handy for builds, and the tap tempo is awesome for stage use w/ a drummer or arpeggiator.
it also really sounds good on guitar, elec piano, and makes my mono/poly and cs01 f_cking shine like the sun.
The lower bands almost seem to breathe- spooky and sexy all in one.

I have only messed w/ the frostwave for 15min on a k2600 so its a hard to really compare but it seemed a bit more friendly in terms of the learning curve.

I almost feel cheated- like reading an authors best book first- none of the other foogers look exciting anymore by themselves. good thing you can chain them up :wink:
sell me your KS5!
brian.only

Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Postby crystalmsc » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:27 am

dracena wrote:I just realised they don't have international distribution, only direct purchase from Australia.

you can also get it from big city music. they have the Resonator in stock and can be bought from their e-bay store, worldwide.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby redchapterjubilee » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:33 pm

Never touched a Murf but I had a Resonator for several months. If all you want is a straight filter then that's a serious monster. If you have the ability ot control it with CV it will certainly come alive. No LFO so you'd have to have your hands on it at all times. The other thing that bugged me about it is that it is a guitar pedal and you have to hammer on it to engage the filter and it clicks so...I wound up letting it go. I miss it though.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Next

Return to Sound Production