eBay advice - Have a look here

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Postby Escobar » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:43 pm

AstroDan:
Ebay's big enough now, they really need to set up some third party shipping/receiving/cash on delivery type service. As in: I send the item I just sold to the Transaction Center, and the buyer sends the payment to the Transaction Center, and someone there says "Item looks good. Payment looks good. Okay. Everything's verified." I'm certain it would be more complicated and troublesome than that. But as Ebay gets bigger, and the scamming too, the days are numbered for unregulated peer-to-peer dealing.

So go start one. Right now. Get off the GX1 and go.

Or not.

Since PayPal is an eBay Company they already have a foundation for it. I don't see any reasons why they can't do it.
Roland MKS-70 | Roland SuperJX | Roland S-770 | Roland S-50 | Roland MC-500 | Roland TR-505 | Emulator III rack | Emulator II+HD | Emax HD rack | Emax Kb | Prophet 2002 | Yamaha TQ-5
Escobar

Advertisement:

Postby Kalu » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:28 pm

Kalu

Postby BluMunk » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:34 pm

I found this s90es on ebay the other day, at a really low price. But, he's taking money orders only. And, I sent him a few questions and didn't hear anything back. Unresponsive seller who's only taking cash? Kinda fishy to me.

[/url]
BluMunk

Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
Supernova II
Alpha Juno II
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QS7.1
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Postby BluMunk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:38 am

And now this s90es as well, which is using the same picture as the previous (though states a different location), and also will not accept paypal.

[/url]
BluMunk

Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
Supernova II
Alpha Juno II
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QS7.1
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Postby carbon111 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Kalu wrote:http://cgi.ebay.de/Minimoog-Nachbau-zum-Aufbauen-Analog-Synthesizer_W0QQitemZ330171166031QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46983QQcmdZViewItem

What the Hell is this?!?

That, my friend, is a thing of true beauty!
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Shadow": http://cdbaby.com/cd/carbon1112

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com
carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Carbon111

Postby burnt toast » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:22 am

carbon111 wrote:
Kalu wrote:http://cgi.ebay.de/Minimoog-Nachbau-zum-Aufbauen-Analog-Synthesizer_W0QQitemZ330171166031QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46983QQcmdZViewItem

What the Hell is this?!?

That, my friend, is a thing of true beauty!

man. missed that one!
burnt toast

Postby sequence » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Currently Im dealing with a clown who lives in a US/Mexico border town (US side, Cali) who was the winning bidder for my minty MEK ($850 inc ship/ins.) Guy had 100% feedback on 14 transactions but never asked any questions WHILE the item was listed. Anyway, I require all winning bidders to contact me within 72 hours after auction's end, and despite me sending him the invoice and reminder right at about hour 70 I finally heard from him.

So completely cluelless, was talking about when he could get his money into PP, wanted to know about alternate payments (NO!) and said he'd have the $$ in my PP account yesterday. Well yesterday no $$, more lame broken English excuses as to why not, and gave me his phone # to ask about "deals" on shipping and other questions--stuff he shouldve asked me WHILE the auction was still active.

Since I dont deal over the phone--I keep it all in email so there's a written record--I told him if he wishes to withdraw I will agree to do so as well. I have a gut feeling that this is some kind of scam; US/Mexico border towns are full of them, and when I saw his location a HUGE red flag went up.

But what gets me is eBay's policy re unpaid strikes against buyers who renig or fail to agree to their legal obligations as auction/BIN winners. Is there a way to tell if a bidder has unpaid item strikes on his or her record? Also, can scammers forge their feedback scores to give the impresssion they are on the up and up? And, an unpaying winner who does NOT meet contractural obligations can leave negative feedback on the seller? WTF is with that?? :?

Out of nearly 20 pricey transactions, this is the second to create problems after auction's end; I once had a Cuban guy in Florida agree to BIN, but bypassed PP and send me third-party traveller checks that were obvious forgeries. I reported him to USPS fraud officials.

Ya know I generally have good luck with eBay, but this kind of lame bullshit makes me rethink as to whether I should continue, and maybe advertise my stuff here or Craigslist. I also hate to do so, but Im thinking of refusing all bids from the smaller US/Mexico border towns.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
twentyfirst century fizMO man
sequence

Postby Entropy Farmer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:51 pm

I only sell via buy-it-now with immediate payment required - filters out a lot of idiots. Filters out a lot of buyers, too, but oh well. People will contact you if they want to make a deal for a lower price, so you can just flip the auction price lower if you're willing.
Entropy Farmer

Postby braincandy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm

What do you guys think about the new rules regarding buyers, such as not being able to leave feedback on sellers (although buyers can unfairly slag sellers) and getting pinched not only after the sale on eBay, but on Paypal as well?

I'll bet MiniMe has something to say, as that's his primary storefront.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby smallsynth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:11 pm

braincandy wrote:What do you guys think about the new rules regarding buyers, such as not being able to leave feedback on sellers (although buyers can unfairly slag sellers) and getting pinched not only after the sale on eBay, but on Paypal as well?

I'll bet MiniMe has something to say, as that's his primary storefront.

wait, what? are you saying buyers can no longer leave feedback for sellers? huh? wha?
smallsynth

Gear: the source, monomachine, k-station, gnat, buzz
Band: resterisk

Postby elios » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:40 pm

The ebay feedback system was pitched enough for the story to make the news.

However my qualm is with the insurance, and whether the guy sending a $1900.00 piece of gear would bother to offer it as an option.

I'd be more worried if I was a buyer that the issue was obscured by prioritizing insignificant facts rather then notice he fell a few bucks short of the cost to insure the package.

Both ebay and paypal open the door to difficult transactions by operating as if sending a package over a given amount without insurance is standard fare. Sounds risky, and with the 'bid now - it's easy' showing up without post info invites risk.

To maintain an awareness of good practices separate from the page does not make sense. Having done so, after capitals over some hoopla how a seller wouldn't forge papers for foreign bids and leaving the (optional) insurance away from the bidding procedure Put a strain on the auction.

Buyers shouldn't have to be reminded of obvious business practices that are misconceived to begin with.
elios

Too good to be true... (ebay related scam)

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:44 am

Soooo.... I had my eye on a jup-8 on the ol' ''bay, when I get a message from the seller (I had previously asked if local pickup was ok)...

He tells me he was travelling, so he had to pull the auction. Checking up, the auction had been cancelled... He tells me it would be $1700 inc. shipping, but I could check it out first.
I thought ok, well he IS a no feedback seller, but if I can come check it out in person, what can happen?

I respond indicating I would like to come check it out, and give him my number...

Today, I get a response back. turns out he's STILL travelling (in spain of course), hence shipping is the only thing he can do. But it's ok, cos I can check it out for 14 days before the intermediary "Moneybookers" or some other faux third party holds my money in case I'm not satisfied!

OHH..... big red light goes off in my head, hopes of getting a cheap jup-8 are dashed...

But his first email, tho slightly oddly worded, really did sound authentic... These damn scammers are getting clevererer every day! be warned! :shock:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby eeprom_one » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:53 am

Oriiginal Korg electribe EM-1 (Not EMX)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-EM-1-Electribe ... dZViewItem

greetings
Analog powA!
http://www.myspace.com/spaindeejayscom
http://www.myspace.com/eepromone

2xElectribes rmkII (drummachine+synth) + Tg-500 Yamaha (tone generator). Comming soon: elektron monomachine mkII
eeprom_one

paypal payment safety

Postby ColdTrinity » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi to all of you.

I need an advice. How safe it is to make a payment through Paypal in case you come a cross an idiot seller or a scam. I mean if I pay certain item $800 or $900 and it turns to be a above mentioned situation.

thanks in advance.

Zlaya
.... gold rush, golden years ...
ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SCI-Pro One/ROLAND- Jupiter 6, Juno 60/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1, DW8000
Band: Voight-Kampff Machine

Re: paypal payment safety

Postby Mixolydian » Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 am

ColdTrinity wrote:Hi to all of you.

I need an advice. How safe it is to make a payment through Paypal in case you come a cross an idiot seller or a scam. I mean if I pay certain item $800 or $900 and it turns to be a above mentioned situation.

thanks in advance.

Zlaya

Paypal can be risky as the seller has immediate access to the transferred funds. Basically with eBay, only pay for items that have a regular auction run, and only use Buy It Now if the seller has a good rating.

That said, I've had fairly good luck with ebay, both as a buyer and seller. If if don't understand something, I ask questions, and if I don't receive an answer, I don't bid.

If you do get an item that isn't what the seller advertised, eBay wants you to first contact the seller and try to resolve it. If that doesn't work, then eBay will intervene. However, they can only contact the seller and ask them to fix the situation. The worst eBay can do to a seller is ban them, and that doesn't do anything for the buyer.
Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide