An uncomfortable question about Arturia CS80V...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

An uncomfortable question about Arturia CS80V...

Postby Martin P268 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:14 pm

I can run the synth at different sample rates, 41100, 48000 and 96000. If I choose higher sample rate, the envelopes become faster and the overall pitch of the synth rises.

Which sample rate emulates the CS80?
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Advertisement:

Postby kk994 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:52 pm

That's odd and shouldn't happen afaik...

The only time pitch would change is if you have an audio sample recorded at one sample rate and then play it back at another sample rate without converting the audio.

Audio is timestamped with the sample rate it was recorded with. For example 48000 samples per second. If I change the sample rate to 96000 it would play twice as fast. Like a film that has been recorded at 24 frames per second being played back at 48 frames per second.

This shouldn't happen with softsynths as they calculate their vales in realtime. So if I play something at 96000 it should play as normal but have 96000 sample resolution. The same for 44.1....

If this isn't the case... then I'm stumped :)
kk994

Postby Martin P268 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:20 pm

I was wondering if this is because I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 4 soundcard instead of a proper audio interface...
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Postby Synthaholic » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:42 pm

Your sound card may not support the higher bitrates, so set it to 44.1 and you should be good to go!
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Postby Martin P268 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:49 pm

Yes, I'll stick with 44.1 for the Audigy. I can't believe it could be some kind of bug, it's too obvious and I have the latest version of the synth.

Thanks for comments.
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Postby krushing » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:34 am

SoundBlasters have long been notorious for the fact that their sample rate is locked at 48kHz or something like that - or at least that's how it was still a couple of years ago. I don't if the newer Audigys are any different. But if this is the case, it might be that while you can theoretically choose a different sample rate in a program, the playback is stlil forced into the locked rate, which should theoretically be a transparent conversion but, well, sometimes isn't.

//edit:
this tidbit from the Creative forum, as I suspected: "creative asio drivers for the audigy 4 are locked at 16bits/48khz and 24bits/96khz."
krushing

Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Postby Martin P268 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:00 pm

But when I use Direct X driver instead of ASIO I get the same thing - three different sounding CS80Vs. I think I'd better start to enjoy this feature :?
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Postby Altitude » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:16 pm

martinp268 wrote:But when I use Direct X driver instead of ASIO I get the same thing - three different sounding CS80Vs. I think I'd better start to enjoy this feature :?

The driver is irrelevant, its the hardware thats the problem.
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Martin P268 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:15 pm

I will get rid of this blasted soundblaster in the summer anyway, but can you tell me if your Arturia synths do the same pitch and envelope speed switch on your proper audio interfces too?
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Postby Bitexion » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Has never happened to me, I have an M-Audio soundcard w/ analog ins/outs.
When you increase the samplerate, you should just get a clearer, deeper sound as a result, because you're "raising the ceiling" so to speak so less parts of the full sound spectrum are shaved off on the top and bottom.

But keep in mind, CD format is still 44.1Khz, so if you record something in 48/96KHz, and try to burn it to a CD, you'll get no result.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Martin P268 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:20 pm

But keep in mind, CD format is still 44.1Khz, so if you record something in 48/96KHz, and try to burn it to a CD, you'll get no result.

I believe I could hear the result even if I recorded to an audio cassete. Especially in the filter and resonance sound. Otherwise, what's the point of 96000Hz resolution?
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Postby Soundwave » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:21 pm

martinp268 wrote:

I believe I could hear the result even if I recorded to an audio cassete. Especially in the filter and resonance sound. Otherwise, what's the point of 96000Hz resolution?

My Arturia Modular sounds much clearer in the high end at 96khz and thats not just with the stuff thats theoretically above what you can hear. I think the extra processing helps the normal higher frequencies you can here tho it tends to be a little too CPU intensive on my PC for normal use.
Soundwave

Postby Martin P268 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:53 pm

That's another issue... My PC can't handle 96KHz on sounds with long release and my computer configuration wasn't yet possible when the CS80V was out. The Soundblaster was there already, though ;-)

Ok, I have fought with the software for the last week and, I think, I'll call it a day. If I have to spend about £150 on a proper audio interface to make my CS80V do 96KHz, then I'd rather spent that money on BOSS Micro BR multitrack and steer clear from the PC before I run into problems with computer DAW, etc.
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Return to Software Synthesizers