Sample storage - SCSI stuff and so forth

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Sample storage - SCSI stuff and so forth

Postby tallowwaters » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:37 pm

Needing somewhere to put all those samples?

Well here is a cheap and effective cure that I am happy to report works perfectly in my Korg ESX!

This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820163403

and these:

Find them just about anywhere. Look in the bargain bins at Staples or Office Depot.

(credit to sorcerio)

I know for a fact that these work on my Korg ES1. i think BlueMonster uses on his roland mc something...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Advertisement:

Postby tallowwaters » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:40 pm

Needing a large variety in SCSI options?

go here

http://www.scsicardreaders.com

a little pricey, but you pay for excellent service, a no frills return policy, knowledgeable staff, and alla round good people. you would rather give some money to them instead of the ebay crooks, right?
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby piRoN » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:12 am

http://www.scsiforsamplers.com/storage.asp

Holy crap. Nice find, Tallow. Should also add that you're paying for assured compatibility; at least one person I know of has spent hundreds trying to get the exact SCSI drive their sampler actually supports.

I think this week's pay just got spent...
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:58 pm

piRoN wrote:

Holy crap. Nice find, Tallow. Should also add that you're paying for assured compatibility; at least one person I know of has spent hundreds trying to get the exact SCSI drive their sampler actually supports.

I think this week's pay just got spent...

oh, they are cool as hell folks too. i wanted to test our a microtech card reader on my dj70 mkII just to see if it would work and they gave me a full refund just to try it. thats class.

i guess my 'a bit pricey' comment is off mark. gone are the days of finding some hapless computer strippers scsi parts for 10 bucks...
tallowwaters

Postby GeneralBigbag » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:28 pm

tallowwaters wrote:i guess my 'a bit pricey' comment is off mark. gone are the days of finding some hapless computer strippers scsi parts for 10 bucks...

I dunno, I got my external SCSI drive for my E6400 for $15.99 ($15 shipping) . I bought an external drive case off of ebay for $0.99, and then put an ad out on craigslist for SCSI drives. After about a week a guy emailed me to say that I could have a whole bunch of old ones he didn't need anymore, and out of the 4 he gave me 2 work flawlessly (the others had bent pins). I don't live in the biggest of towns either...
virb.com/ookpikk
GeneralBigbag

Postby tallowwaters » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:41 am

well dan, you are more patient man than me i suppose. after 15 minutes of trying to get a scsi drive to work, i tend to want to punch things (mostly the scsi drive) :lol:
tallowwaters

Postby TrondC » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:09 am

so, you get one of each of theese devices and voila: 128mb of space to put samples in for 10$? That's really cool! I'm gonna get a couple :)
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Postby KnowGood » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:48 am

I've said it here before, but what some don't know or realize is that you can only use xD cards as high as the SM cards that were designed for it. If your ES-1 takes 64mb than you can only use a 64mb xD card, so don't go out buying huge cards as they will not work. You need to stay within the units limits.
KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Postby rivas3 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:28 pm

i just wanted to add in that after reading about "scsiforsamplers" on here i decided to check out the website. i exchanged a few emails with JD and felt he was very personable and quick to respond. so i decided to purchase a card reader for my S5000, i had already upgraded my mpc2000xl to a card reader and felt it really brought my sampler up to date with everything in my studio, and kinda breathed new life into it. so i wanted to accomplish this with the S5000 also, mainly for live use, not so much for in studio. anyways, i was able to hook it up, they sent me all the necessary parts needed to finish the job. and they are there late for anyone needing to call or email them.

very very highly recommended for anyone interested!!!

i also told him about how i came across there website on this forum and hope that he joins in.

thanks tallow.

-rivas3
rivas3

Band: Bad Employees

Postby SfS_JD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Andy, thank you for that great review. I'm glad to hear the PCD-47B is working out well for you.

We still have 15 PCD-47B units, 1 PCD-10 and 9 PCD-25B units in stock, so if you need one (or a hard drive, CDROM drive or rack/tabletop combo unit), please have a look at our site.

Quality warranted products and guaranteed compatibility may cost a bit more but I feel it is worth the small extra.

JD Wilson
www.scsiforsamplers.com
727-953-6877
SfS_JD

Postby Dr. Sound » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Needing a large variety in SCSI options?

go here

Nice link. Thanks for spreading the knowledge.

Now where are all those ZIP disks with my samples?
[ + ]
Dr. Sound

Postby RichShan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 pm

That site is great. I'll certainly be contacting them about getting a SCSI CD-Rom drive for my lovely old ESi32.

Well shared knowledge.

RichShan

Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Re: Sample storage - SCSI stuff and so forth

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm not convinced that some of the newer compact flash or MMC card to SCSI converter solutions will work in the older SCSI samplers such as EIII and S1000 - please prove me wrong as this would be a very neat/quiet running solution.

For older cherished samplers I still highly recommend the use of SCSI 230Mb Magneto Optical (MO) drives for these machines as the media is extremely stable unlike ZIP, SyQuest, SyJet and Jazz!! They were the professional choice for archival use for a long period. The drive to look out for is the Olympus Power MO 230II which was popular on Macs at one point and runs very quietly. The disks are still available and should be ok second hand. I have 230Mb MO disks dating back to 1991 that still work perfectly. The MO drives will work for definite on the E-mu EMAX II, Emulator IIIXP, S1000 & S1100 and I'm sure very many others.

Cheers,
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:43 pm

It also seems they've shut down. Just checked the scsiforsamplers site, and it says they're closed for further business, but the support line is still open.

:cry:
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby novielo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:43 pm

hope they'll come back...

hideaway, i got one and made it was workin great with a emu-4000 i had. the only problem i did have is that i couldn't use it with it and a s5000 at the same time. the s5000 seems to make himself appropriate the drive (is that a sentance that got any sense?). i had to load to the emu-4000, then power up the s5000 otherwise the emu-400 couldn't get access to the drive.

price wise though if i had to do it again i would try those adapter ide-to-compactflash to replace the hdd.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes
novielo

Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band

Next

Return to Samplers