Vintage Synth Explorer Logo Design Contest

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Vintage Synth Explorer Logo Design Contest

Postby vintagesynth » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:20 am

Ok gang, I guess we need some kind of logo. This probably won't be for the website but for the apparel we're going to have on Cafepress (t-shirts, jackets, caps, etc). These will be items you can order and a small portion of each item's cost will go toward the cost of running this place. An 'everyone wins' kind of deal. It's a chance to show off your love of synthesizers and your dedication to this site.

The logo should feature "Vintage Synth Explorer" and a smaller reference to "www.vintagesynth.com" kind of like my signature. You can use images of a synth in it too, but make sure you use nothing that is copyrighted. If you can take your own pics or create your own graphic designed synthesizer, that'd be really cool too! I'd suggest bright colors that look good against a dark background, but it's wide open right now.

Submit your designs by Feb. 1st and then we'll all vote for a winner. Submit as many as you want.. within reason. The winner will get a t-shirt on the house. It is best to just email your designs to me at: webmaster (at) vintagesynth.org. After Feb 1st, I'll post them all up in a Vote/Poll thread for us to pick the best design.

For now I'm just planning on shirts, but caps, bumper stickers, magnets, pins, girlie shirts, etc. could all be available too. The logo will go on the front of the shirt.

Logos should be JPG for now, the winner should send me a Photoshop version if possible in case I need to resize it for the various products. The more DPI, the better, from 100 to 300 DPI is good. And the logo should be no bigger than 10" by 10"

Good luck and let's see what ya got!
Last edited by vintagesynth on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Advertisement:

Postby Yoozer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Actually, the best option is to make so-called vector-based files; these are resolution independent.

Since a lot of people do know Photoshop and a lot less of 'm know Illustrator here's my offer - I'll make a vector version of the winning logo. This means you don't have to submit a really huge version but something like 800 x 600 would already be enough - provided that you don't use photos in your logo (which is bad practice for logo design anyway). The people who do the T-shirts like this better too since they can scale it up to any resolution they want.

... If mr. Vintagesynth himself agrees with this, of course ;).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby vintagesynth » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:40 am

Of course I agree... But we'll have to wait and see what the winning design is...

Keep 'em coming guys... So far, submissions have been depressing... Not the the quality, but the quantity... Only two of you have stepped up to the plate so far...

It reminds me of the photos for the forum header... That idea was virtually ignored until I finally put one up there, then I could hardly stop the submissions from coming! It'd be nice to see some of that enthusiasm in this thread as well. :occasion5:
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Postby piRoN » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 am

Vintagesynth,

I've just sent in a design, but I'm having trouble with my email at home, so could you just confirm whether you got it or not?

(I'd send a PM, but they've been flaky of late)

Thanks!

Edit: Whoops, forgot to put the web address on there! Time to make some modifications...
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby vintagesynth » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:20 pm

piRoN wrote:Vintagesynth,

I've just sent in a design, but I'm having trouble with my email at home, so could you just confirm whether you got it or not?

(I'd send a PM, but they've been flaky of late)

Thanks!

Edit: Whoops, forgot to put the web address on there! Time to make some modifications...

Yep, I got it... and it was a REALLY good one too!
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Postby vintagesynth » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 pm

Note: I changed the submission date from Feb 14 to Feb 1..

A month just felt like a long time to wait to get this thing going :)
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Postby pricklyrobot » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Yoozer wrote:Actually, the best option is to make so-called vector-based files; these are resolution independent.

Since a lot of people do know Photoshop and a lot less of 'm know Illustrator here's my offer - I'll make a vector version of the winning logo. This means you don't have to submit a really huge version but something like 800 x 600 would already be enough - provided that you don't use photos in your logo (which is bad practice for logo design anyway). The people who do the T-shirts like this better too since they can scale it up to any resolution they want.

... If mr. Vintagesynth himself agrees with this, of course ;).

Although, it's easier to make spot-color separations for screenprinting in Photoshop. I'd say large Photoshop shop files are good, just remember to un-check the "anti-alias" box on any tool that has that option. Anti-aliasing is not your friend when creating screenprintable artwork.

Also, any photographic content needs to be turned into bitmapped halftones.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby vintagesynth » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 am

Here are image format requirements:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/i ... elp_images

Best is 300 dpi / RGB / PNG files
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Postby Johnny Lenin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:13 am

As far as I know, Cafe Press doesn't require colour separations and, since all of their stuff is essentially process colour, spot colour is unnecessary. You send them the artwork -- RGB, CMYK, whatever -- and they just print. It's gital [not analog, sorry] printing, anyway. That also means that you don't have to worry about whether your halftones are 100 or 85-line, the printer does it. So... to recap, all you need is fairly high-res bitmaps. Even then, considering that it'll probably print no finer than 60-lines oncloth, it doesn't even have to be all that high-rez, but 300 dpi full size sounds reasonable to me.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Postby pricklyrobot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 am

Aah, so it's not screenprinted at all? That's good to know.

I couldn't find any details on their site about how they actually print the shirts, just this by way of vague description: "unique print-on-demand technology". So I'm assuming they use those newfangled direct-to-garment inkjet machines.

Don't think I've ever seen any direct-printed shirts. How do they stack up against screenprinted shirts, aside from being limited to CMYK?

Apologies for nerding out about printing on the synth forum; I worked in a t-shirt shop for 4 years.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby derma_tek » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:02 pm

i just sent my design, you should receive it in a few minutes :)
http://www.derma-tek.com
-- ----------------------
clavia nord lead 3, moog little phatty se, novation supernova 2
derma_tek

Gear: clavia nord lead 3, moog little phatty se, novation supernova 2
Band: Derma-Tek

Postby vintagesynth » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:53 pm

Well there are only a few days left, so anybody else who wants to send us their VSE logo design concept, please do!
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Postby Johnny Lenin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Don't think I've ever seen any direct-printed shirts. How do they stack up against screenprinted shirts, aside from being limited to CMYK?

Apologies for nerding out about printing on the synth forum; I worked in a t-shirt shop for 4 years.

The printing is good, but not mind-blowingly great. I had some things done for a Web project a few years back. all of these comments relate to that experience -- I can't comment on how or whther things have improved. Edges lack some definition -- partly because of a little bleed into the weave of the cotton cloth, partly because of the technology [it's basically spray-on, after all]. The colours are good when you're closer to full-density colours, though the blacks tended to be about 90-95%. It doesn't compare with dye-sublimation, of course, but you can't do really short runs of that. I will say that t-shirts and sweatshirts printed MUCH better than the baseball cap. The dye/ink seems to hold through the wash, too, which is nice.

And I'm all about geeking out, too. I worked in a graphic design/typesetting shop for four years many years ago. When I left the company, we had just upgraded to Mac Quadra 840AVs and were thinking of migrating away from the Compugraphic 8600 system...
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Postby crystalmsc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:22 pm

another design sent by e-mail is in.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby vintagesynth » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:51 am

The time for logo submission has ended...

Thanks to everyone who submitted a logo to us!

I'm incredibly grateful to all of you who sent us your design entries, for your time and creativity... They have more than exceeded my expectations!
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Return to General Synthesizers