Quasimidi Polymorph opinions?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Quasimidi Polymorph opinions?

Postby breitt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:58 am

I'm purchasing a Quasimidi Polymorph this weekend and was wondering what VSE users thought of this machine. I've done as much homework on it as I can, but info is a bit scarce. I was a big fan of the sound of the Spectralis when I owned it, though its user interface nearly drove me insane. I loved what I was able to do with the Speckie, but I hated what I had to do to get there.

The basic gist, from what I understand, is that the Polymorph (Speckie's precursor) is a bit inferior, sonically, to the Spectralis (particularly without those analogue filters), but a fair bit easier to navigate. I'm prepared for a bit of Jorg-flavored frustration, but from the little I've heard (both opinion and sound demo), it's worth it. Supposed to be a weird and wonderful hodgepodge of VA, Rompler and Digital. The sequencer on it is reputed to be stunning, particularly for its time. I'm hoping to replace 2 of my Mobii and my Nord Lead with this unit. Thoughts, opinions, etc. are appreciated.
Elektron Analog 4
breitt

Advertisement:

Postby clubbedtodeath » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:27 am

This would belong in Buyer's Guide. And to there -- off it goes.
clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Postby syncretism » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 pm

The Polly's hella lo-fi and gnarly, but endearingly so. Watch the levels, because it overloads and distorts at relatively quiet osc mix volumes. As a MIDI sequencer, it's not very good - it doesn't send velocity out, and busy sequences actually mess up the internal and external timing. BPM is saved per patch, which can be frustrating when the Polly is the master clock.

But...

As a self-contained unit, slaved to an external clock and humming along in its own world, the Polymorph's a fabulous, distinctive instrument. The sequencer's powerful, but a doddle to use. The dodgy sound cuts right through a mix and is excellent for darker, more electroid numbers. The Mellotron waves are pretty sweet, and its multitimbral options are rather smart.

So, it's not for everyone, but there are damned good reasons people hold onto them. I only sold mine to finance a Sunsyn purchase.
Yours,
Niall.
syncretism

Postby breitt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 pm

syncretism wrote:As a self-contained unit, slaved to an external clock and humming along in its own world, the Polymorph's a fabulous, distinctive instrument. The sequencer's powerful, but a doddle to use. The dodgy sound cuts right through a mix and is excellent for darker, more electroid numbers.

That's exactly how I'm going to use it. It will be slaved to my Monomachine (which will provide an occasional percussive bleep or blurp) and I will also have it connected with my Jomox 09 and, if I can find a way integrate the sound, my Voyager. But, I'm hoping the Polymorph will be the centerpiece, providing some unearthly acid/minimal/industrial.
Elektron Analog 4
breitt

Postby syncretism » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:25 pm

If you get it by early February, let's jam. I'll be in town with the MDUW for a few days after the fifth.

Edit, I'll probably bring the Manikin Scrittmacher, as well - think of it as a 21st century Polly sequencer!
Yours,
Niall.
syncretism

Postby stikygum » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:11 am

I'm selling 1 of my 2 Polymorphs right now if interested. Mine's been babied and you won't find a pretty one than this. I have it on ebay and listed on various other forums, including the For Sale section here.
stikygum

Return to General Synthesizers