EML SynKey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

EML SynKey

Postby TX81ZJH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:07 am

Hey everyone,

Does anyone own a EML SynKey? - I was browsing the synth list on here the other day and I came across the SynKey. I was fascinated by the "punch card" storage of sounds. My dad told me (He's an Organist) some old Allen organs ran on punch cards as well.

I can't find any images of the SynKey punch cards though. Was wondering if anyone could post some cool pics of a SynKey and some cards.
TX81ZJH

Gear: Yamaha TX81Z, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio SK-1, Akai MPD-16, Linux Multimedia Studio
Band: FYYRATÈA

Advertisement:

Postby Villi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:52 am

Sure looks like an interesting synth. I like this quote:

Related & Alternative Gear:
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too unique to relate it to anything else.
Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Postby TX81ZJH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:58 am

Villi wrote:Sure looks like an interesting synth. I like this quote:

Related & Alternative Gear:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too unique to relate it to anything else.

Your telling me! - I've used cassette storage, but punch cards? that is WAY old school and COOL! :shock:
"KĒSMUS PRŪSISKAN AMZIS"
--Joshua E. Horn
TX81ZJH

Gear: Yamaha TX81Z, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio SK-1, Akai MPD-16, Linux Multimedia Studio

Postby B00gie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:38 am

I own eml synkey for almost a year now. It's my favourite mono so far, even though mine has scratchy resonance pot. I have seen some pictures of punch cards on the web, but i don't really care, since all the pots are disabled if you are using patch card. There are some pics of Synkey in studio pics thread (check out page #407)

If you need more pics or you need some info - feel free to contact me

P.S. Im gonna sell my Synkey to afford freakin Machinedrum...
B00gie

Postby B00gie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:40 am

here you go:
B00gie

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:04 am

B00gie wrote:I own eml synkey for almost a year now. It's my favourite mono so far, even though mine has scratchy resonance pot. I have seen some pictures of punch cards on the web, but i don't really care, since all the pots are disabled if you are using patch card. There are some pics of Synkey in studio pics thread (check out page #407)

Don't sell it yet. If you think it's a mono after having it a year, I think I have a surprise for you. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby TX81ZJH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:19 am

B00gie wrote:here you go:

Thanks for the upclose picture. The one on VSE is too small to really see anything.

B00gie,

Thanks for the info, I'd consider buying it if I had any money LOL!

I'm just so fascinated by the whole punch card sound loading!
"KĒSMUS PRŪSISKAN AMZIS"
--Joshua E. Horn
TX81ZJH

Postby B00gie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
B00gie wrote:I own eml synkey for almost a year now. It's my favourite mono so far, even though mine has scratchy resonance pot. I have seen some pictures of punch cards on the web, but i don't really care, since all the pots are disabled if you are using patch card. There are some pics of Synkey in studio pics thread (check out page #407)

Don't sell it yet. If you think it's a mono after having it a year, I think I have a surprise for you. :wink:

Oh, please surprise me AG!

(even though you CAN play chords on synkey using 12 divide-down oscillators, you can only access 1 chord at a time, and you do it by just pressing 1 key on the keyboard; this key represents root note, and all the semitones from dd oscillators are gonna be stacked on top. While it's perfectly good for making strings/pads/chords in the studio i think it's a bit tricky to do this kinda thing in live show environment. Also, chords are limited to square waves only, whereas single mono voice is represented by really cool oscillator which can blend between 7 waveforms. So in another words i can't consider synkey as a polyphonic synth)
B00gie

Postby B00gie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 am

this thread needs moar synkey 8)
B00gie

Postby Carey M » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 am

Those buttons are dead sexy!

- CM
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby ColorForm2113 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:02 am

I'm interested in hearing what the last Mod Osc wave all the way to right sounds like. it looks like this "\ \"
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby B00gie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 am

Ok, so here is quick example of the last mod osc wave. (the one that looks like "\ \")

http://www.box.net/shared/okofi734gk

first sound is simple square wave, opened filter, amp sustain at max. MOD osc set at its fastest rate. First i increase the amount of mod osc -> pitch (to a 100%), then i gradually turn mod. osc. speed from fastest to slowest.

Second sound is the same thing, but im using a chord instead of 1 note, and also some env cutoff modulation is going on

I think it shows the character of that lfo shape very well.
B00gie

Postby cornutt » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:49 pm

I've always wanted to have one of these things. Besides my unhealthy fascination with EML stuff in general, I'd like to see if I can hack into the card reader interface and make all the parameters MIDI controllable.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby TX81ZJH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:24 pm

B00gie wrote:this thread needs moar synkey 8)

it's the card reader! COOL!
"KĒSMUS PRŪSISKAN AMZIS"
--Joshua E. Horn
TX81ZJH

Postby TX81ZJH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:28 pm

B00gie wrote:Ok, so here is quick example of the last mod osc wave. (the one that looks like "\ ")

http://www.box.net/shared/okofi734gk

first sound is simple square wave, opened filter, amp sustain at max. MOD osc set at its fastest rate. First i increase the amount of mod osc -> pitch (to a 100%), then i gradually turn mod. osc. speed from fastest to slowest.

Second sound is the same thing, but im using a chord instead of 1 note, and also some env cutoff modulation is going on

I think it shows the character of that lfo shape very well.

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard. Period.
"KĒSMUS PRŪSISKAN AMZIS"
--Joshua E. Horn
TX81ZJH

Next

Return to General Synthesizers