Yamaha SY85 help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha SY85 help

Postby RichShan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:34 am

I need a little help to revive my trusty SY85 workhorse... I've been using it almost daily for about 12 years and know how it works very well now. My friend lent me a Triton- but I wouldn't swap the two! (OK, maybe I'd have both)

One of the keys has broken and I'm not sure how easy it is to replace keys on these machines. I tried to take the cover off the board but there are about 8000000 screws and i still couldn't get to the key bed. Does anyone know how this might be fixed easily, or will it be an expensive return to Yamaha service dept job?

Also would like to get hold of some of the waveform cards. Anyone have any opinions on these? Are they easy to find and worth having? Does anyone have any spare?

RichShan

Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha SY85 help

Postby crystalmsc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 pm

RichShan wrote:Also would like to get hold of some of the waveform cards. Anyone have any opinions on these? Are they easy to find and worth having?

seems like those cards are not easy to find. but, the TG500 contains some material from those card in it's additional 2mb rom. since it's oftenly being sold for ridiculously cheap, it could also be a better expansion option. good luck with the keys.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Yamaha SY85 help

Postby RichShan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:36 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
RichShan wrote:Also would like to get hold of some of the waveform cards. Anyone have any opinions on these? Are they easy to find and worth having?

seems like those cards are not easy to find. but, the TG500 contains some material from those card in it's additional 2mb rom. since it's oftenly being sold for ridiculously cheap, it could also be a better expansion option. good luck with the keys.

Yeah, I was thinking of the TG500 option... Not sure how little they go for. I must admit that I haven't really had a good look on ebay- mostly because I hate the fact that everyone seems to sell everything as vintage/collectible... Mind you, I can't imagine that the TG500 is very "fashionable"... I might take a different route and go for something like the TG77, which I notice you have... How well do you like it? Is it easy to program? What kind of sounds are available?
RichShan

Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:45 pm

I fixed a couple of duff keys on a friend's SY77 a while back... seem to remember it did take a lot of undoing. It's not something I would recommend if you've not dismantled a synth before; the keys on those things are about the last thing you get to.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby RichShan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I fixed a couple of duff keys on a friend's SY77 a while back... seem to remember it did take a lot of undoing. It's not something I would recommend if you've not dismantled a synth before; the keys on those things are about the last thing you get to.

Yup! That's exactly how it seems :(

Annoying as it's only one key- but it's in the lowest octave. Wouldn't be so worried if it was all the way up top
RichShan

Postby crystalmsc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:32 am

RichShan wrote:Is it easy to program?

it depend on how you want to use it. layering some awm elements would be simpler, but when you starting to use the FM op and RCM, it could be way more complex than the TG500. but that's the strong point of it and how I view the synth, as a hybrid beast. I won't comparing the rompler material with the TG500 since the later have a much better quality and quantity material. Also in the fx department where the TG500 is way much better in quality and control. Since your SY key is having a problem and you are looking for a hybrid synth, may the the SY99 is going to be a good choice. It got a better fx and some additional rom material than the TG77 which sometime also being dump for cheap. but mind the shipping, since that's one hell of a heavy keyboard. it's better to get it from a local pick up.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby RichShan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:08 am

crystalmsc wrote:
RichShan wrote:Is it easy to program?

it depend on how you want to use it. layering some awm elements would be simpler, but when you starting to use the FM op and RCM, it could be way more complex than the TG500. but that's the strong point of it and how I view the synth, as a hybrid beast. I won't comparing the rompler material with the TG500 since the later have a much better quality and quantity material. Also in the fx department where the TG500 is way much better in quality and control. Since your SY key is having a problem and you are looking for a hybrid synth, may the the SY99 is going to be a good choice. It got a better fx and some additional rom material than the TG77 which sometime also being dump for cheap. but mind the shipping, since that's one hell of a heavy keyboard. it's better to get it from a local pick up.

I was actually thinking along the lines of the SY99 myself. But polyphony is too limited.

My plan is to start playing out live again soon- using hardware only. So, I think I'll try to find an Emu XL7 as my main sequencer (huge note memory) the SY85 as my master keyboard and then modules for the rest. Unfortunately the SY99 has too small a sequencer memory AND not enough poly...

So I think it might be better to look for a TG77- it's the same synth engine, isn't it?
RichShan

Postby crystalmsc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:20 am

RichShan wrote:the same synth engine

yes, the same engine with less 4 mb rom, older SPX80II based fx processor instead of the newer SPX900 in the 99 which supposed to be the same as in your SY85 and no sample RAM function. still a mighty synth though.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer