Future Retro XS sequencer: Mobius vs. Revolution

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Future Retro XS sequencer: Mobius vs. Revolution

Postby Entropy Farmer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:08 am

I'm targeting an XS for later in the year, but I don't have any hardware sequencers. Which one do you guys think would give me more bang for the buck?

Revo Pros:
ACIIIIIIIID!
Only 350$ more than the Mob for a complete synth
Interesting pattern remix knobs
Uh, round?

Mobius pros:
Rack mount
Cheaper
??????????
Entropy Farmer

Advertisement:

Postby killedaway » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:38 am

i've blabbed about this before, but i recommend the Revo. if you buy used, you can likely pick one up closer to 200-250 more than a Mobius, and i think the inbuilt synth is worth that price. the circular sequencer took me a little while to get used to (it's not hard to input data -- it's just that one gets used to the typical left-to-right method of sequencing, and this clockwork style takes some adjustment), but now i love it.

besides price, i'd say the only other big benefit to the Mobius is space. i think its rectangular/rack design is much more efficient than the Revo. in fact, i wish Jered would just build the Revo into the Mobius and call it Revolution 3 (or whatever).
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Another thing to consider about the Mobius: the CV/gate outputs can be set for V/Hz and S-triggers allowing it to sequence more types of vintage CV analogs (Korg MS, Yamaha CS, Moog) than the Revolution can.

If you never expect to own a vintage analog, then it's a moot point.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby tunedLow » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:01 am

I think you also get a glide rate with the Mobius. Plus the rack mount is a nice feature. I have a revo and love it, but I don't like the big round interface. I made a wooden stand for it so that it would take up less desk space.

But if I had to choose I'd still pick the revo because I like the synth (which you'll also get to process with the XS), and I love using the remix pattern function. I'll put these into a midi track, then cut and paste pieces of different patterns until I find something I like.
tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Postby sequence » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Mobe. 8) Love it. Revo? >eh<
twentyfirst century fizMO man
sequence

Postby tunedLow » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:05 am

Right, but why? I ask out of genuine interest, not in a "my sequencer's better than yours" kind of way!
tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Return to General Synthesizers