this just in...Akai s612!!!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

this just in...Akai s612!!!

Postby 9mm » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:59 am

as i was walking out my door for work, up walked the post man with a box....opened it, my s612 and md280 from ebay!

despite a little rack rash the front panel looks great all buttons and knobs are there and it powers up (yet to connect and play around with it). can't wait to get the cord to plug it inot my Aaki ax60 and really fuck up some audio!

anyone one have any hints,tips or resources you would suggest i look into?

i know about the atari st emulation and the old atari program for loading samples. does it work on vista?

weird...just checked the akai site for the manual and it had a download for ak.sys file loader...anyone try this?
AX60|AX80|JD990|S612+MD280|SQ80|Micron|ER1mkII|RY30|TG33|VT1

Wanted: super bass station, drum station v2 or d-station, evolver
9mm

Advertisement:

Postby tallowwaters » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm

use it as a preamp!

works great for that.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby tallowwaters » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm

use it as a preamp!

works great for that.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:19 pm

tallowwaters wrote:use it as a preamp!

works great for that.

I know you can do this, but what characteristics would this impart on the sound that would beat just going straight into a mixer? (I haven't a-b'ed the sounds, so maybe it sounds different and I haven't realized it?)

anyways, i love my 612... in these days of pc-recording, having an outboard sampler doesn't make a whole lot of sense (to me), but I make an exception for the 612... it's just easy to use that grabbing souynds on the fly becomes part of the creation process, rather than a tedious knob twiddling chore...

Just screwing around with the decay knob and start/end points will make lots of wackiness...
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby 9mm » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:37 am

anyone know about the STEam engine and the s612 editor? work good? does it run on vista? or anyone know about the ak.sys. software on the akai site?

tips tricks or other resourse...?
AX60|AX80|JD990|S612+MD280|SQ80|Micron|ER1mkII|RY30|TG33|VT1

Wanted: super bass station, drum station v2 or d-station, evolver
9mm

Postby dthestampede » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:23 am

i just bought a 612 also. using as a preamp makes me curious. what effect would it have. how do i go about that? also does anybody know if it can play loops without using a KB controller? synced?
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!
dthestampede

Postby gcoudert » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:04 pm

9mm wrote:anyone know about the STEam engine and the s612 editor? work good? does it run on vista? or anyone know about the ak.sys. software on the akai site?

tips tricks or other resourse...?

I have used Steam and it works great. I used it on my Win98SE machine and it worked fine. I don't know about Vista. It is one of the only (the only?) Atari ST emulator that supports MIDI. I used it mainly to program my Yamaha TX7 via DXHeaven but it became redundant when I got the DX keyboard. Steam was a little fiddly to set up to begin with; I seem to remember that I had to define a folder that was to become the emulator's virtual drive but it didn't take too long.

I didn't realise there was an S612 editor for the Atari. Is there one for the S1000?

Gilles
Gilles C.
gcoudert

Gear: Roland Fantom X8, R8, JV1080 + Orchestral & Vintage Synth cards, Akai S5000, Fender Telecaster, Korg AX3000G.

Postby Sir Ruff » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:03 am

dthestampede wrote:i just bought a 612 also. using as a preamp makes me curious. what effect would it have. how do i go about that? also does anybody know if it can play loops without using a KB controller? synced?

it should be apparent once you've got it setup-you just turn the monitor knob up while feeding in your source material and you will hear it throught the line out. The "rec level" knobs sets the gain... might be worth doing an A/B through sampler, and then not through sampler to see how it sounds...

The only other way I believe you could trigger it is with the ext trigger in on the front... a hot signal, maybe even a mic should trigger it.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby tallowwaters » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:00 pm

as a preamp - max out the audio in, and the rest of the beauty comes from the converters.
tallowwaters

Postby Spike Vincent » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 pm

S612's also make great doorstops.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.
Spike Vincent

Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Spike Vincent wrote:S612's also make great doorstops.

haha... says the man with an S2000? :wink:
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Spike Vincent » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:53 pm

S2000's are too big,I keep tripping over it.I might put legs on it and use it as a coffee table though..

I do own an S612.
Spike Vincent

Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Spike Vincent wrote:S2000's are too big,I keep tripping over it.I might put legs on it and use it as a coffee table though..

I do own an S612.

haha.. but surely they're the same size? the 612 certainly heavier... it's amazing how much 128Kb of RAM weighed back in the day... probably was worth it's weight in gold too!
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Spike Vincent » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 pm

I haven't actually used - or seen - my S612 for some time,I think they're the same size..
Spike Vincent

Postby novielo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:36 pm

if you'ld like to let it go i'm currently looking for one s-612.

and you s200 is nothing compared to a s5000!! :-)
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes
novielo

Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band

Next

Return to Samplers