Future Retro dropping the Mobius

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Soundwave » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Syn303 wrote:
synapsecollapse wrote:im confused.

could you explain the difference between skip and on-off?

I was thinking in the way, say a Moog 960 Sequencer works.

Most sequencers allow you to mute notes (off), ie: if you don't want a note sounding on say the mobius you have to press CLEAR and the note on the 16-STEP's you don't want to sound. SKIP excludes that STEP you don't want to sound in the sequence, and jumps directly to the next note from the previous one. When you have a note muted (off) in a sequence (depending on tempo) there is a brief audible pause, but with SKIP you don't hear it.

With most digital sequencers, it's either note-on or note-off (mute) in a sequence.

Doesn't this fuck with the time signature tho unless you're after that effect?
Soundwave

Advertisement:

Postby sensorium » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Syn303 wrote:But anyway it's a shame Jered at FR is calling it a day for the Mobius, as it's been popular and has done so well.

I think he's putting the announcement out to get rid of any spare parts laying around as people scurry to buy up the last few......right before he releases his latest/greatest sequencer.
sensorium

Postby Syn303 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:51 pm

What the Rev mkII, i might buy one, i had the mkI before
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Syn303

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:10 pm

All this "buy one now before prices go up" talk is kind of silly...

You're all saying "it's a great sequencer, he's done well and sold lots", so surely, the market has been well catered for.... It's not like a totally boutique item that was only available in limited quantity... This has been out for a while, has had a steady price, etc.

Go ahead and buy ten, but I would seriously doubt the investment is going to pay off... maybe in 20 years? :wink:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Suburban Bather » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:36 am

Has anyone here used the MFB Step-64? I can't find any reviews on it anywhere.
Suburban Bather

Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Postby JSRockit » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:All this "buy one now before prices go up" talk is kind of silly...

You're all saying "it's a great sequencer, he's done well and sold lots", so surely, the market has been well catered for.... It's not like a totally boutique item that was only available in limited quantity... This has been out for a while, has had a steady price, etc.

Go ahead and buy ten, but I would seriously doubt the investment is going to pay off... maybe in 20 years? :wink:

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt the Mobius sold crazy units...and it is a boutique item. I never see these sold in Guitar Center or Sam Ash. It fills a niche, price wise, that no other TB style sequencer fills. There will be a void and things will get expensive quick.
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Sir Ruff » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:56 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:All this "buy one now before prices go up" talk is kind of silly...

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt the Mobius sold crazy units...and it is a boutique item. I never see these sold in Guitar Center or Sam Ash. It fills a niche, price wise, that no other TB style sequencer fills. There will be a void and things will get expensive quick.

ok, but as far as boutique items go, this was not some homemade pedal that could only be ordered firectly from the maker. The FutureRetro name has been around for a while.

whatever, I don't know... But I would fathom that a digital sequencer is not going to have the same resale value in the future as a synth i.e. the 777.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby JSRockit » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
whatever, I don't know... But I would fathom that a digital sequencer is not going to have the same resale value in the future as a synth i.e. the 777.

You may be right... but if there is more demand than supply, then... However, if someone steps up and makes something similar readily available...then it probably won't.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby badboodle » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:17 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:whatever, I don't know... But I would fathom that a digital sequencer is not going to have the same resale value in the future as a synth i.e. the 777.

Obviously you have never heard of:

sequintix p3
akai asq10
latronic notron
the frostwave sequencer

Oh and have you seen the price of the remaining hardware sequencer options still in production? Most of them are well over a 1000 bucks! some are over 2000 Euro!?

The composition tool can be as important as the sound.

In the case of the mobius there will be a lot of future demand because whilst there are many tb-303 clones very few of them have a built in sequencer.
badboodle

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:34 am

badboodle wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:whatever, I don't know... But I would fathom that a digital sequencer is not going to have the same resale value in the future as a synth i.e. the 777.

Obviously you have never heard of:

sequintix p3
akai asq10
latronic notron
the frostwave sequencer

Oh and have you seen the price of the remaining hardware sequencer options still in production? Most of them are well over a 1000 bucks! some are over 2000 Euro!?

The composition tool can be as important as the sound.

In the case of the mobius there will be a lot of future demand because whilst there are many tb-303 clones very few of them have a built in sequencer.

Funnily enough I HAVE heard of all those sequencers... But unlike the above, the Moebius was definitely more readily available (with the exception fo the ASQ-10, which I don't see that having risen dramatically in price over the last 10 years. I also don't hear a whole lot of cats claiming absolute devotion to a 20 year old digital sequencer)...

the Sequentix was essentially a DIY project made commercial for a brief period, and the Lactronic was already in outer space for price range...

Again, I don't really care, buy as many as you;d like... I just hate seeing "runs" on equipment simply for the sake of resale or avoiding future price jacking....

(doepfer is still making similar sequencers which all can be had for under 1000)
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby JSRockit » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:25 pm

There is a big difference between $400 and $1000 for most people. Someone will step up and make one though.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers