Roland JD800 vs. Korg Wavestation EX.....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Roland JD800 vs. Korg Wavestation EX.....

Postby downgrade » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:59 pm

In a pad-off competition, who's the winner?

Would like to know, as that's where my money would be going.
downgrade

Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Advertisement:

Postby seamonkey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:24 pm

At one time I had both in my studio and they compliment each other very well. I would have to go with the JD800, it's one of my all time favorite synths and I miss it a lot, unfortunately I just don't have room for such a huge beast.
The JD is easy to coax new sounds from, just moving the sliders and choosing a sawtooth makes it a joy to work with and it's also a lot of fun.
I think you will get a broader pallette to create new sounds which can still be fresh today, the filters are nearly as good as sex to my ears and you can make lush pads, atmospherics, clangy belltones and much more.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric
seamonkey

Postby portland » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:49 pm

JD800 has a nice liquid sound
portland

Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Postby clubbedtodeath » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi there

The JD800 and WaveStation often come up in conversation here on General Synths. Why not take a look?

You can find the search function here:
http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/search.php
clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Postby downgrade » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:44 pm

thanks!
downgrade

Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Postby iProg » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:16 am

Wavestation any time of the day!
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Roland JD800 vs. Korg Wavestation EX.....

Postby Pro5 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:16 am

Wavestation isn't very nice TBH. Have had the Keyboard and the A/D and it's just as dated and undepowered (as a synth) as the M1! No filters to speak of...

Anyway JD-800 any time of the day (or night; it can do some very nice 'night pads' if you know what I mean, mild phaser and sweeping bandpass, gorgeous Roland resonance echoing away...) it relies on normal synthesis methods and a great digital filter to do it's work, unlike wavestation which is a box of wave sequencing tricks that serve very little purpose in a modern context, and arguably were only impressive back in the day because they were new, still sounds way more pre-canned than the JD-800 which is a proper synth - you just gotta know how to program it right to take it away from digitalitis overdose, can sound absolutely epic & gorgeous.

Not to mention JD-800 is one the most fun synths to edit/program/interact with while running midi through it.... the wavestation? the polar opposite, it's a nightmare to use.

oh and of course, the JD-800 is also one of the best looking synths ever made (even better in reality than photos show as it looks all plastic in photos but is actually brushed metal over the entire control surface with a kind of plum tint colour to it - very posh). The wavestation? bland black box.

3 wins out of 3 to the JD.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Return to General Synthesizers