ARTURIA minimoog v or modular v??

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

ARTURIA minimoog v or modular v??

Postby ben1402 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 pm

hi. i am completely new to synthesis and therefore slightly confused as to which of the above would best suit me.

the reason i am looking at the above is simply because of the moogs legendary status and because of its superb value for money (the vst versions of course!)

i assume the modular v provides the user with a much greater variety of sounds than the minimoog but could someone explain the main differences between the two??

would this be a step in the right direction to creating electronic music?

thankyou in advance.
ben1402

Advertisement:

Postby chamomileshark » Thu May 29, 2008 10:38 pm

I have the Moog Modular but not the Mini Moog emulation. Basically the difference is the same as with the hardware, the Modular is more complicated to work with but has much more scope..e.g 9 oscillators (I think) compare to 3, several filters compared to one, plus it has a ring modulator and frequency shifter and a sequencer.

The downside is that it is probably harder on your computer and will take longer to understand. If you want "instant" or just standard synth sounds, go for a mini moog clone..if you want lots of possibilities and enjoy spending a little time getting the sounds you want, go for the Modular.
chamomileshark

Gear: Wiard 300 Series Modular, Frac Modular, Roland SH2 + SH101 +U20, Yamaha DX9, Microwave 1, Roland SVC-350, Virus B, and too many soft synths

Re: ARTURIA minimoog v or modular v??

Postby Yoozer » Thu May 29, 2008 11:23 pm

ben1402 wrote:hi. i am completely new to synthesis and therefore slightly confused as to which of the above would best suit me.

Neither. Start with freeware and learn how synthesis works before investing a lot.

because of the moogs legendary status

The only thing they did was allow Arturia to slap the name Moog on the software - that's it.

but could someone explain the main differences between the two??

With the Mini, you have a structure - Oscillators > Filter > Amplifier. This is so-called "hardwired" - you can not change the order to Oscillator > Amplifier > Filter, for instance.

However, as Moog found out, that structure was sufficient for a large range of sounds, and it saved money because you didn't need separate modules with separate powersupplies and patch cables. Plus, it was much more portable.

On the Modular, you can change the order. This means you can also add extra oscillators and filters - for instance, if you use 2 bandpass filters with the right settings, you can emulate the human voice. The Mini only has a lowpass (a famous one, though), so it's limisted to that.

The Modular offers way more possibilities but is, as already said, much more complex, and you can't zap through the patches and get instant understanding.

would this be a step in the right direction to creating electronic music?

What do you have in terms of sequencer software, samplers, effects and other related gear? Do you have monitor speakers, a controller keyboard, an audio interface?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Sat May 31, 2008 2:46 am

download them both and see which is best for you. i ended up with the modular, (and the 2600) but i have the demos of the cs-80 and jupiter 8v as well.
LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Postby ben1402 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:41 pm

thanks for the feedback. it is appreciated.

i have cubase 4 as my sequencer & a novation 25sl compact as my controller.

the sounds in halion 1 (the vst instrument in cubase for those who have other sequencers) are quite basic, and i was looking for a plug in to give some boll***s (sorry!!) to my production. and thought the moog sounded good.

i have a very very basic idea of synthesis from the novation bass station which has oscillators, envelopes & a low pass filter. although it seems daunting right now, i am confident that with the right commitment i can teach myself.

i best get cracking ha ha.

thanks alot.
ben1402

Postby ben1402 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:51 pm

What do you have in terms of samplers, effects and other related gear?

one last thing, could you please elaborate on the above with a couple of examples??

thanks.
ben1402

Postby Solderman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I thought it fair to mention that Minimoog V produces zipper noise when controlling with Midi CC's. I don't remember if the Modular also does. They both sound good, but you can get a Minimoog VST for free
http://www.home.no/gunnare/downloads.htm if you can deal with the annoyance panning to stereo brings.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), Virus b

Postby Yoozer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:58 pm

ben1402 wrote:
What do you have in terms of samplers, effects and other related gear?

one last thing, could you please elaborate on the above with a couple of examples??

You already mentioned these, unless I misunderstood you.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby CS_TBL » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:21 pm

ben1402 wrote:..because of the moogs legendary status..

Is this really that important to you? I'd choose a synth based on its functionality first. A Mellotron is probably infinitely more legendary than a softsampler like Halion, but is that a reason to choose a Mellotron(-VSTi) instead?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby ben1402 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:04 am

ben1402 wrote:
..because of the moogs legendary status..

Is this really that important to you? I'd choose a synth based on its functionality first. A Mellotron is probably infinitely more legendary than a softsampler like Halion, but is that a reason to choose a Mellotron(-VSTi) instead?

thankyou....what i was trying to say was i know little about synths other than the brands such as korg or moog, i suppose i just assumed it was a safe bet and thought id get some advice from people who know!!...maybe i should have titled the topic "what synth?" ha ha. thanks for the advice & ill take a look at the mellotron.

& thankyou for the link to the mini moog!! gonna check that out too!
ben1402

Postby CS_TBL » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:07 am

Have a look at FM8 from Native Instruments, which can do about everything thing you'd ever want.

For examples look in offtopic in the challenge thread. :P
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby soundxplorer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:30 pm

+1 on that. I just tried it out a few days ago and it sounds great.

Use your hard cash on hardware, because there are a lot of great FREE softsynths out there:

http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst/emulator

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products
soundxplorer

Postby oberheim » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:38 pm

Get the modular, just for the fact you can do more with it that the mini. If you must get a mini, then get Gforce's MiniMonsta as it sounds amazing, and has some great modulation options too...

Oh, and it costs less 8)
[RO] SH101, D550, D-110 JV1080, MKS70, S750, S550 [KW] K1r, K5m, R-50 [AK] S700, S1100, [EMU] ESI32, ESI2000, Proteus 1 [KRG] EX800, X5dr, M3r, Wavestation SR, P3, Symphony, DW6000, DSS1, DS-8, Poly61, S3, DDD1, [NV] A Station, [OB] Matrix1000, [NRD] MicroMod, [YAM] TX7
oberheim

Gear: Lots of Korg's, Kawia's, Roland's, Akai's and Emu's. Plus a Yamaha, Nord and Oberheim.

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:07 pm

+1 for Minimonsta

Personally, I find most of the Arturia stuff bland and uninspiring.

However, I *love* Minimonsta, and with the modulation and patch morphing you can be incredibly expressive.

One of my fave synths ever...
desmond

Postby Bitexion » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:25 pm

I'd also say go for modular, but in many cases they are so totally baffling for the user, you end up doing nothing with it. Seeing all that mess of 20 cables in a patch you load up is intimidating..and 9 oscillators. The Arturia manuals can be confusing too, because they are badly translated from french. I have Modular and CS-80. Both awesome synths, I don't bother much how close it is to the real thing, because I'll never own any of them anyways. I work with what I have.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers