eBay advice - Have a look here

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Postby ColdTrinity » Thu May 01, 2008 3:34 am

thanks!
.... gold rush, golden years ...
ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SCI-Pro One/ROLAND- Jupiter 6, Juno 60/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1, DW8000
Band: Voight-Kampff Machine

Advertisement:

Postby mute » Wed May 28, 2008 2:59 pm

my personal favorite is when someone is selling a "vintage" poly like a jupiter 8 or mono/poly with a starting price above 1000 with no photos or descriptions in the auction.

lol.. case in point: http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-Mono-Poly-Synt ... dZViewItem
mute

Postby synth3tik » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:16 pm

braincandy wrote:What do you guys think about the new rules regarding buyers, such as not being able to leave feedback on sellers (although buyers can unfairly slag sellers) and getting pinched not only after the sale on eBay, but on Paypal as well?

I'll bet MiniMe has something to say, as that's his primary storefront.

Because of the new ebay rules I have stopped selling stuff on ebay. I think it is absolutely stupid. It give people more abilities to buy something before thinking about it and not following through with the auction with out worrying about feedback.

With the trouble I have getting my Jupiter 6 I think I am also done buying. Ebay can kiss my arse.
synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Postby monolith » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 am

mute wrote:my personal favorite is when someone is selling a "vintage" poly like a jupiter 8 or mono/poly with a starting price above 1000 with no photos or descriptions in the auction.

lol.. case in point: http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-Mono-Poly-Synt ... dZViewItem

...And it appears that someone bought it. did they just get scammed or what?
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: eBay advice - Have a look here

Postby synthesizerist » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Synthacon wrote:3 - Ask for more pictures of the unit, if they had a camera to put up a picture in the first place they will be able to do this.

As someone who has sold a few synths on ebay, I'd like to qualify this with, if it has 8 pictures already, you don't need to ask for more!
synthesizerist

Postby th0mas » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:51 pm

synthesizerist wrote:
Synthacon wrote:3 - Ask for more pictures of the unit, if they had a camera to put up a picture in the first place they will be able to do this.

As someone who has sold a few synths on ebay, I'd like to qualify this with, if it has 8 pictures already, you don't need to ask for more!

unless you want proof the user has the item.. ask for a picture of the unit at some random angle they wouldn't have stolen a picture of from another auction. Doesn't mean they're going to ship it to you but at least you know they actually have the item.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby synthesizerist » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 pm

th0mas wrote:unless you want proof the user has the item.. ask for a picture of the unit at some random angle they wouldn't have stolen a picture of from another auction. Doesn't mean they're going to ship it to you but at least you know they actually have the item.

You guys are scaring me. I've never heard of any of these scams on ebay. Worst I ever had happen was buying a broken 8 track off a psychopath that thought that since it was old it should be broken (even though he had said it worked fine). But I guess I've been lucky...
synthesizerist

Postby th0mas » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:53 pm

synthesizerist wrote:
th0mas wrote:unless you want proof the user has the item.. ask for a picture of the unit at some random angle they wouldn't have stolen a picture of from another auction. Doesn't mean they're going to ship it to you but at least you know they actually have the item.

You guys are scaring me. I've never heard of any of these scams on ebay. Worst I ever had happen was buying a broken 8 track off a psychopath that thought that since it was old it should be broken (even though he had said it worked fine). But I guess I've been lucky...

I bought something (thankfully it was cheap) and had the person claim they were their daughter and the person who did the auction had died and only told me this after me sending the money.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby wiss » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:59 pm

th0mas wrote:I bought something (thankfully it was cheap) and had the person claim they were their daughter and the person who did the auction had died and only told me this after me sending the money.

i bought a turntable from someone years ago and a month later it still wasnt here and no response. He had been a horrible car wreck and was in the hospital the whole time.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby th0mas » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 pm

wiss wrote:
th0mas wrote:I bought something (thankfully it was cheap) and had the person claim they were their daughter and the person who did the auction had died and only told me this after me sending the money.

i bought a turntable from someone years ago and a month later it still wasnt here and no response. He had been a horrible car wreck and was in the hospital the whole time.

ouch. In my case I found the person's blog and watched them continue to update..
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby svenedikt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:25 pm

I'm about to buy my first Analog synth from ebay and I feel like it might be a scam.
I really don't want to mess this up as I'm not a very experienced ebayer.
I've won the bid on a Roland Juno-60

I've asked the seller twice about how he plans to pack the synth - He has not replied to that question.

He has replied to my messages that I sent directly through ebay straight to my actual e-mail address using his personal e-mail address. So no communication is going through ebay at the moment.

He said he could arrange for a pick up, I've asked to pay him in cash on pick up but he says 'paypal only'

I've asked him to contact me on my mobile but he has not.

I've asked for his phone number 2 times but he ignores that question.

I've asked for him to call me and play a few notes on the synth over the phone.
But then he replies - The roland synth belongs to his son inlaw who lives in another town but that the synth is in full working order as stated.

So now the synth is in another location than the seller and he is suggesting just to post it after all.

I've asked to get in touch with his son in law but he has not replied.

I'm so confused. I really feel like this is some kind of a scam.
I've had bad experience with ebay once before and it was exactly the same, someone was selling an item for a friend.

How can I be 100% sure he has actually got the synth.

Hope you can advise me on this.

Best,
Frank
svenedikt

Postby minime123 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:36 am

actually, ebay hasnt been our primary storefront for a long time - we sell most of our gear directly through our website after having been disappointed (to put it mildly) by ebay policies and management. now we only use ebay as a last resort. otherwise its direct sales, often to repeat customers, many who are done buying pot luck on ebay.

as for my thoughts on the new rules, they suck. dont trust ebay.

braincandy wrote:
What do you guys think about the new rules regarding buyers, such as not being able to leave feedback on sellers (although buyers can unfairly slag sellers) and getting pinched not only after the sale on eBay, but on Paypal as well?

I'll bet MiniMe has something to say, as that's his primary storefront.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- http://www.123synthland.com (redirects)
minime123

Postby th0mas » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:23 pm

svenedikt wrote:I'm about to buy my first Analog synth from ebay and I feel like it might be a scam.
I really don't want to mess this up as I'm not a very experienced ebayer.
I've won the bid on a Roland Juno-60

...snip...

Hope you can advise me on this.

Best,
Frank

I would not pay him for that synth unless his communication turns around 100% or you can pay him on pickup. He sounds completely full of shit.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Blackie1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:04 am

If it's too good to be true, it isn't
Blackie1

Postby cornutt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:08 am

Heads up, guys! Someone has used what appears to be a hijacked account, "prestigebmwoframsey", to spam the Ebay US electronic musical instruments section with a huge number of fraudulent listings. Besides this user name, they all appear to have a starting bid of $111.00. The text and photos for all the listings that I've looked at appear to have been copied from other listing. Some people are falling for what appears to get a piece of vintage kit very cheap; there is a P5 that is bid up to $577. There are other inconsistiencies in the listings; for example, the listing header says the items are in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, but the listing text says they are in Italy.

I would recommend not bidding on any of these listings, and retracting if you already have bid. I've sent a report to Ebay. The listings start expiring about 16 hours from now.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide