Alesis Micron or Microkorg?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Postby Alex E » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:05 am

Summa wrote:
Syn303 wrote:
andrew13 wrote:The MicroKorg is purely analogue

:shock: :shock: :shock: ermmm digital.... me thinks

Yep, when I had to opened it to replace the keyboard, used it to control Softsynths but the Keyboards wasn't resistant enough, it looked completely digital/DSP based to me...

Guys if it was analog it wouldn't be only $400 new... :lol:

It's a true VA synth.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Advertisement:

Postby Summa » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:29 am

With some luck you get an Oberheim Matrix-6 for that price ;)
Summa

Re: Alesis Micron or Microkorg?

Postby CuBulo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:11 am

If you are willing to pay a little bit more you could get the Korg R3. It is is just like the MK but with an awesome vocoder and more ability, and full size keys. Thats what I have. The only thing I dont like is how hard it it is to make a new noise when you have to scroll through a bunch of crap to get to a specific modifier.
wiggle diggle do
CuBulo

Postby esoteric » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:35 pm

I own both these little guys, so I I'll throw my two cents in:

The MicroKorg is definitely the funner, more accessible of the two. Switch it on, select a preset and go. One-button access to the arpeggiator and knobs for cutoff, resonance, amp attack and decay, and tempo right up front mean you can get jamming right away.

The vocoder sounds better and is easier to use than the Micron's in my opinion. Sound-wise, the MK tends towards brighter, buzzier sounds, but it's still quite capable in other areas. The digital waveform oscillator offers some nice timbral possibilities and somewhat makes up for the (relatively) limited modulation options.

The Micron, on the other hand, is less accessible but way deeper. Three oscillators, various sync/FM/Ringmod options, dual filters each with a ton of modes, 3 envelope generators, etc... Many more modulation possibilities than the MicroKorg. If you want to exercise your sound design muscle, this is the one. Soundwise, I think it's excellent, and capable of a wide range of really good VA sounds. The vocoder, while not as easy to use as the MK's isn't bad by any means.

With limited knobbiness, editing on either machine is kind of tedious. I personally prefer the Micron's editing. It's linear, one parameter at a time, instead of the MK's approach of seeing which parameter grid is active, which row you're on and then scrolling down to see which knob corresponds to which parameter. Plus with the micron you can assign any parameter you want to the three knobs and setup customized modulation controls on the two mod sliders.

OK, I've gone on long enough, I suppose.
What we cannot speak of we must pass over in silence.
esoteric

Gear: Moog Little Phatty (Tribute); Korg EMX, ES Mk II, MicroKorg; Yamaha DX-7; Alesis Micron; MidiNES; Prophet 64; Thingamagoop;

Postby Huppo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:48 pm

esoteric wrote:I own both these little guys, so I I'll throw my two cents in:

I don't own either of these any more but did own them both at the same time a while back and I can agree with everything esoteric said. Except the vocoder stuff since I never tried the vocoder on the Micron. Can't agree or disagree on that one!

The uKorg is definitely more 'fun' from a casual standpoint, but the Micron is more rewarding to dig into. i found the Micron editing to be easy as well, maybe because I think in fairly linear way when programming synths. The uKorg's matrix never got as easy for me as, say, a Waldorf MicroQ.

The uKorg is battery powered and the Micron is not, so that's a factor in some cases.

Can't forget the irritating tiny keys on the uKorg which prevented playing it like a 'real' keyboard since i have large hands and fat fingers. I didn't care for the flush wheels, either. Then again, the horizontal wheel on the Micron was kind of disorienting, too.

I've never played or seen an R3, but the specs read like a uKorg on steroids, plus it loses the tiny keys. Definitely worth a look if you're shopping in this class of synth.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, AN1X, Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, Micron, 50+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Postby stephen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:52 pm

A nice demo of microkorg sounds appeared on youtube a few days back. There's a *lot* of microkorg stuff on youtube, but most of it is a bit below par...

Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnBmhTkBLnM
Stephen(2)
stephen

Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Re:

Postby Untouchable_888 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:I prefer the microKORG's tone myself (bright, harsh) - it sure has plenty of balls for something so petite. The ION engine is much creamier - definitely less edge to the sound until you process it although it can still sound thick. I'd say the ION is probably better at nailing analogue tones of the two, although that really isn't saying much.

Right now i have "Decypher" in my head, so i cant pick out the ION sound i know of, but to me the ION has a real cutting edge, but that is just imho. and the ION sounds more distinct than the microKORG to me. but again, MO.

however, the microKORG to me sounds a lot "snappier" when it comes to dancy/trancy stuff. and it "moves" along a bit better. where as i said, the ION cuts pretty sharp and is a bit tighter.

but that is all from my experience...
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~Cheetah ms6, Alesis Ion, Korg ESx1, Silvertone bass; mixer, MIDI sequecer, 4 track recorder

FoX: Heart of Thorns
F8
Untouchable_888

Gear: Cheetah ms6
Alesis Ion
Korg Electribe ESX-1
Silvertone bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Re:

Postby sepiakeys » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:51 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
sepiakeys wrote:Looking for a small and portable VA with a Vocoder. Alternatives?

let's add another micro here. the Nord Micro Modular is just about the smallest and got a nice vocoder with a bunch of processors you can link with the vocoder.

Picked one up on E-Bay last week :D
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.
sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

Re:

Postby sepiakeys » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:55 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
this subject has been done to death a million times,

I suspected that, when I started this topic... I'm very thankful for all replies nevertheless.
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.
sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

Re:

Postby madtheory » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:32 pm

Hey andrew13, stop creating misinformation please!
andrew13 wrote:Well I own both of these machines...

And in the "How do you connect an oxygen 8 V2 to an amp?" threadhttp://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41344
pricklyrobot wrote:So wait, you have all of this stuff: MicroKorg, Alesis Micron, Korg R3, Korg Micro X, Novation bass station, Clavia Nord modular, Casio MT-40, Yamaha PSR-73...

andrew13 wrote:No I don't own all fo those synths. I just know people who do and i like them.

Say no more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts