Matrix 6 or 1000?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Matrix 6 or 1000?

Postby DJ Axon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi,

I obviously need an obi but have decided to keep a cool head and buy a cheapy as i've gone wild recently, so my plans for an xpander have gone on ice.

Matrix 6 or Matrix 1000? They seem to go for similar money, give or take a £100.

I heard that the 6's voices aren;t tied to the same clock so it can sound richer, but with an interface like that it's not going to be much easier to programme than the 1000 via a SW editor is it? Having said that i'd probably use it as a back up to other programmable stuff i've got so maybe i can live with, dare i say it, the presets (strike me down!) if they do it justice...

Any advice appreciated - i've never owned or played an Obi but I know i need one!

cheers

Dan
DJ Axon

Advertisement:

Re: Matrix 6 or 1000?

Postby Z » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:48 pm

As far as I know, the Matrix 6 and 1000 use the exact same voice chips except for their width. One voice on my M-6R went wacky in the early 90's and I ordered a replacement from whoever owed Oberhiem at that time and they originally sent me one of the narrower chips for the 1000. THey only had a few of the wider chips left for the 6's and then sent me one of those. I understand there are chip socket adapters, but have not found them, although I have not searched for them in over 10 years.

Personally, I would go for the 6 over the 1000 because you can program it from the front panel. You mut use a computer editor to create your own sounds for the 1000.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby DJ Axon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Surely its no easier front the front panel on the 6 than on-screen for the 1000? (one para at a time)

I had a sequential multitrak a while back and even found that interface frustrating!

I'm more concerned about the overall tonal quality, if there is any difference...

As i said though i know nada about either of these synths!

cheers

d
DJ Axon

Postby Z » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 pm

AFAIK, you cannot program the 1000 from the front panel, via software only. There are hundreds of sounds in ROM and a few dozen slots in RAM for user sounds (1000 total patches ROM & RAM).

The Matrix 6 has 100 patch memory, all of which can be over-written.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby filtermod » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:50 am

The 6 can also be programmed from a computer editor. Many (all?) of the 1000 editors will work with the 6 since they are essentially the same engine. I've had both and kept the 6. They're pretty much the same soundwise, but I like the option of editing from the front panel if I just need to fine tune one of my patches.
you can't fix stupid
filtermod

Postby madtheory » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm

DJ Axon wrote:I heard that the 6's voices aren;t tied to the same clock so it can sound richer,

Where did you hear that? It seems doubtful to me that the engine would get such a major redesign just to fit it into a 1U rack.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby cornutt » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:35 pm

There is some minor difference between the way the voice circuits are configured on the 6/6R vs. the 1000. I have both a 6R and a 1000, and the only difference I notice is that the 6R goes out of calibration quicker. :shock: They both use the CEM 3396, although in different packages.

The 1000 has 200 RAM patch slots and 800 ROM slots. The 6/6R, as noted previously, has 100 RAM slots and no ROM slots. The factory patches are available on the Web if you look around.

It is true that the 1000 cannot be edited from the panel (except for a few system parameters). The 6/6R can, but it's so much trouble that I just the same software editor for both. Patch dumps are interchageable between the two, with one very annoying exception: The 1000 neither displays nor stores patch names. If you take a patch dump from a 6/6R, load it into a 1000, and then dump it back, all of the patch names will have been changed to default names.

The 1000 has a somewhat better MIDI implementation. It can deal with most parameter changes in real time; the 6/6R can't. The 1000 has the "guitar controller" mode, in which each of the six voices is assigned to its own MIDI channel. The 6/6R doesn't respond to MIDI Volume controller messages by default; people who do patches for them usually assign controller 7 (volume) to one of the lever inputs, and then route it to the VCA2 in the matrix to make the patch respond to volume messages. With the 1000, you don't have to do that. On the other hand, the 6/6R can do keyboard splits, which the 1000 can't.

The 6/6R has jacks for plugging in sustain and expression pedals. The 1000 doesn't, although it does respond to the MIDI messages. The 6/6R has stereo outputs, but you have to set up a split to output in stereo. The 1000 is mono out.

Somewhat to my surprise, the vacuum-fluorescent display on the 6/6R doesn't seem to have any reliability issues. Oberheim must be one of the few companies who ever figured out how to assemble and package those things properly. Both the 6/6R and the 1000 are regarded as reliable synths. Some 1000s have a power supply that hums slightly (accoustically, not electrically) and can be heard in a quiet room.

No one has ever identified that there is any difference between the black-face and white-face 1000s, other than the panel color.

Either type is a great way to get the Oberheim sound at a low price.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Return to Synth Shootouts