EMU SP12 channels?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

EMU SP12 channels?

Postby HamTyler » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi - I recently aquired a SP12 turbo, and I'm having trouble getting my head round the channel assignments, in terms of what sounds share a channel and will therefore cut each other off. There seems to be no MPC style mute grouping that i can find, but I want to sample hihats, and have the open and closed samples cut each other off. There seems to be some arbitury note stealing going on across the 32 slots, but I cant find a pattern to it, and cant find any documented explanation. Any SP experts out there that can enlighten me? Hope this makes sense.
HamTyler

Advertisement:

Re: EMU SP12 channels?

Postby JSRockit » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:53 pm

I did a search and found this...not sure if it is right.

Q:

How do I stop two sounds from cancelling each other?

A:

If two notes are cancelleing each other out assign them to different outputs. Each output can only sound one note at a time.
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Seems logical enough as it is a "drum" sampler... maybe a case of reading the manual? :wink:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby mavertron » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi there,

im a proud owner of the sp-12, its a great bt of kit, yes you can only have one sound at any time going out of one channel, its what gives it some of its funk, as if you do apply certain sounds to the same channel, then the note stealing can give it a 'choppy' effect.

just experiment with putting certain sounds to certain channels, as all the channels have differnt filters on them..
(aprt from 7&8, these are unfiltered)

5+6 are good for anything dynamic.

matt.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.
mavertron

Postby rhythmonster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 am

Matt's right the SP12 is a dope machine, you just got to experiment with it a bit more. Certain sounds I sample, certain drums whatever, always get assigned to the same specific channels. Shit like hats, all my hats go to the same channel, all my bass goes on the same channel. You can use "blank" pads for cutting shit off too. The SP is a simple machine but it's all about how you use it. Alot of cats think that 5 seconds is not enough to make a beat but I beg to differ. Even in 2008 it's still a dope piece.

http://www.myspace.com/rhythmonster = beats made solely on the sp12 turbo
rhythmonster

Postby KennethA » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 am

rhythmonster wrote:Matt's right the SP12 is a dope machine, you just got to experiment with it a bit more. Certain sounds I sample, certain drums whatever, always get assigned to the same specific channels. Shit like hats, all my hats go to the same channel, all my bass goes on the same channel. You can use "blank" pads for cutting shit off too. The SP is a simple machine but it's all about how you use it. Alot of cats think that 5 seconds is not enough to make a beat but I beg to differ. Even in 2008 it's still a dope piece.

I absolutely agree - and I have one too. Far the best drum machine I have and I have a few (E-mu Systems Drumulator, E-mu Systems SP12, LinnDrum LM-2, Korg KR55, Alesis HR-16, Alesis HR-16B).

Ok - My LinnDrum is not functioning so it might come in first or second when it gets back to life :-)

KennethA
Emax, Emax II, Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, EIIIXP, SP12 Turbo, SP1200, E6400, E6400 Ultra, Drumulator with Pad Programmer, PPG 360 Wavecomputer, PPG Wave 2, PPG Wave 2.3, PPG EVU, PPG PRK FD, PPG Waveterm B + a lot more.
KennethA

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:25 am

rhythmonster wrote:Matt's right the SP12 is a dope machine, you just got to experiment with it a bit more. Certain sounds I sample, certain drums whatever, always get assigned to the same specific channels. Shit like hats, all my hats go to the same channel, all my bass goes on the same channel. You can use "blank" pads for cutting shit off too. The SP is a simple machine but it's all about how you use it. Alot of cats think that 5 seconds is not enough to make a beat but I beg to differ. Even in 2008 it's still a dope piece.

I am incredibly excited to say I am about to be a very proud owner of one of these too... I know there are different filter types on each channel, and so some sounds work better one different ones-just curious what specific ones you use for what-like you say you put a kik on one, hats on the other? (if it's not a trade secret of course)

dope beats by the way! :thumbright:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby xibalba » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:37 pm

[quote="Sir Ruff"]
I am incredibly excited to say I am about to be a very proud owner of one of these too... [quote]

and by all accounts you have already received it i c. i hope everything works out for ya!
xibalba

Return to Samplers