MS-2000 Vs JP-8080

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

MS-2000 Vs JP-8080

Postby Frayo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:41 pm

I have enough money to allocate to the purchase of either VA. I've been scouring the web looking for some opinions on the two synthesizers:

Roland JP-8080
Korg MS-2000

I have too many keyboards, so I have to get a rack synth. I was wondering what would be the better option? Cost is not a factor here, so I'm not going to choose the MS simply because it's cheaper. I am not looking for anything outside of a regular synthesizer with regular synthesizer controls. I am after sonic qualities and Knob-Twiddlyness (which both of them have). I'm not after a sequencer or anything like that.

I guess what it boils down to is which one sounds better?..and the fact that I suck at making posts (which is why I try not to do it often) I've known a couple of people who kept their MS and sold their JP. I also know some people who are vice versa...so I'm starting a thread so you guys can help me sort it all out.

Also, I'm looking for an analogue sounding synth. I am not financially able to afford a machine that would impress the purists that reside on the forums. I am not after a regular polysynth either. I already have a recently fixed Juno-106 and a finally behaving Akai AX-60.

Side note: The Akai is behaving, but refuses to stay in tune for the life of me. It used to bother me, until I grew to like the fact that it's slightly off. It sounds nice with the other characters here anyway. Plus the AX-60 to S-900 routing is NICE. Its very different from my emax, and possesses a sweet character.

Anyway- thanks for any help. Hopefully someone else in the same plight will benefit, too.
Frayo

Gear: Too much to list!

My wonderful gf maintains a page on it: http://yserasaurus.tumblr.com/gearslut

Advertisement:

Re: MS-2000 Vs JP-8080

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:29 am

Frayo wrote:I guess what it boils down to is which one sounds better?..and the fact that I suck at making posts (which is why I try not to do it often) I've known a couple of people who kept their MS and sold their JP. I also know some people who are vice versa...so I'm starting a thread so you guys can help me sort it all out.

Which one sounds better is a completely subjective thing, nobody can answer that question but you. Asking here just means that some people will say the MS, some the JP. It won't help anything.

You seem like you know a bit about synths, why not just listen to a few demos and make your mind up from that? I personally love the MS's raw bass sounds and really don't like the supersaw that heaps of people rave about on the JP. You might be like me or you might be the opposite.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby crystalmsc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:22 am

Frayo wrote:I am after sonic qualities and Knob-Twiddlyness (which both of them have).

in contrary, while I like the sound quality of the JP, but never a fan of controlling filter with sliders as in the JP. while the MS are all knobs.
Frayo wrote:an analogue sounding synth.

also, the JP is won't be my pick for this, since I like the digital sounding side of it. Something like the ION, might be a better choice.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline