Mono vs Mono

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Mono vs Mono

Postby nop14 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 am

Hi guys, I want a new modern synth!

I been saving my money for long. I have my eyes on 2 synths. First one is Monomachine and Second one is Mono Evolver.

actually, I plan to get both of them but for the first purchase I don't really know myself. Both of them are so great!! I know they are different and it depend on what I going to do with it but you know, It still hard for me to make a decision.

Could you please help me by giving me some good reason which synth you want to get If you were me (I have Juno106 and MS20).

Please Help!!

Thanks
nop14

Advertisement:

Re: Mono vs Mono

Postby Bitexion » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:36 am

Sure we can help but you'll get alot more response in the right place. Buyer's Guide. Here you'll just get scorned for posting in the wrong forum.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby RobotHeroes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:44 am

I too own the MS-20 and a Monomachine. I never looked at the Mono Evolver around the time I was getting the Monomachine. I figured well I own 2 analog mono synths already so why not get a Digital synth?

The Monomachine is a good synth if you like the way it sounds. You have 6 tracks to work with however you like or one track in poly mode. You can do any combination of synthesis it offers with those 6 tracks at the same time. I knew I wasn't going to be able to buy synths for a while and I was really interested in it and it turned out fine.

I am not crazy about it but it offers something different than the MS-20 for sure. If you are going to be getting both then if you like the sound of the Monomachine then you might want to get at that first to vary from what you own. If you like the Mono Evolver more then go with that. Best bet would be to go with the one you know you will be recording with or wanting to record with sooner. Makes sense?

Also this belongs in the buyers guide. Like Chief Wiggum says "Take em away boys."
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Postby nop14 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:53 am

Oh so sorry for posting on the wrong place.

..and thanks Robotheroes for your advise.

:D
nop14

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:54 am

Bake em away, toys?

If you already know enough about them and have decided that you're gonna get both anyway, then get the monomachine first. It's got more stuff that's different to what you've already got (proper sequencer, multitimbral, different kinds of synthesis, drum machine.)

Or just get the Evolver cause it shreds.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Get the Evolver first, less money so it's in your hands sooner, right?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby otto » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Go with the monomachine if your looking for a well thought-out sequencer and you prefer not to use a computer. Go with the evolver if you are looking for diverse and interesting synth that can provide a wide variety of sounds from basic analog or digital to a wild combination.

This is purely opinion but i wanted to love the monomachine but ultimately I kept thinking "I can do this and a whole lot more, a lot cheaper, with a computer". I wasn't overly impressed with the sounds its various synths produced - they seemed very average softsynth sounding to me. The sequencer is great if you are trying to avoid using a computer but if your open to sequencing from a computer.

The evolver is very complex and some people don't like the general sound, others love it. It has so much potential though, that I wouldn't limit it to only being an aggressive sounding synth. You can program it to be and sound very analog and you can program it to sound "crazy". I think they key to understanding the evolver is to build patches from the ground up. When you are just modifying patches it is easy to get lost because of the deep modulation possiblities and just how many paramters are available - it is also easy to lose yourself in trying to use all those possibilities. It is a bit of a "kid in the candy store" synth. You have to learn to pace your self, be judicious and subtle if you want usable, musical results.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby xpander » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:39 am

go for the monoevolver. i'm not sure what the appeal is of the monomachine. now that Jomox stuff.... :happy2:
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Postby nop14 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks for you guys advise! It's help me a lots! :)

First time I plan to get an evolver(desktop) + prophet08 but the size and the price of P08 seem too big for me. (My country where I live. there have no dealer. I have to pay for the crazy tax when it arive T_T).

From what I got (Juno106 and MS20), I just want a synth which more up to date and more flexible and livable. so I think Mono Evolver could replace my MS20 and P08 could replace my 106 for live use, but like I said, P08 is not fit with my bill and my room. so I have to find something more reasonable.

For evolver, I really like the combination between digital and analog. The keyboard version it look nice for live situation as well.

Last month I have a chance to play on machinedrum SPS-1 (classic) and I kind of like the feeling of the sequencer which is really nice. so I check how people talk and use the MnM on websites. I found most of them love it. so I think I better change my plan from EVO+P08 to MnM + MEK to fit my room instead. I don't know is it make sense for you guys or not. I know it's more digitally than my first plan but I still feel like it could be a lovely couple, isn't it?

Thank a lots!!
nop14

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:41 pm

otto wrote:Go with the monomachine if your looking for a well thought-out sequencer and you prefer not to use a computer. Go with the evolver if you are looking for diverse and interesting synth that can provide a wide variety of sounds from basic analog or digital to a wild combination.

This is purely opinion but i wanted to love the monomachine but ultimately I kept thinking "I can do this and a whole lot more, a lot cheaper, with a computer". I wasn't overly impressed with the sounds its various synths produced - they seemed very average softsynth sounding to me. The sequencer is great if you are trying to avoid using a computer but if your open to sequencing from a computer.

I fall into the opposite boat of wanting to get away from the pc a little bit and focusing in more on more organic, automated patterns... I will always be stuck to the pc as my MAIN sequencer (I have too many hardware synths not to), but the monomachine makes it way easier to do automation, and keep things lively. I think of it as its own sound source/sequencer which I can hopefully run in tandem with Cubase. The synths themselves are software-hence sounding like softsynths (or any other digital synth), but sound very good on their own. And while ultimately YES, nothing is going to beat having a laptop as a portable music station, the MnM is simply so small and totally dedicated to its sole function, it would be hard to replace with just another pc. A mouse and a small controller + laptop is going to be fiddly and cumbersome.

otto wrote:The evolver is very complex and some people don't like the general sound, others love it. It has so much potential though, that I wouldn't limit it to only being an aggressive sounding synth. You can program it to be and sound very analog and you can program it to sound "crazy". I think they key to understanding the evolver is to build patches from the ground up. When you are just modifying patches it is easy to get lost because of the deep modulation possiblities and just how many paramters are available - it is also easy to lose yourself in trying to use all those possibilities. It is a bit of a "kid in the candy store" synth. You have to learn to pace your self, be judicious and subtle if you want usable, musical results.

You honestly could say the same thing about the monomachine. the individual synths are definitely simple no doubt, but to stop there would be missing the point. EVERYTHING can be modulated, so that while each synth may not have the range of parameters than the evolver does, the shear modulating capabilities is at least equal if not great than the evolver, simply because modulation can be continuous or stepped... One of the LFO destination is "parameter" on another lfo! WTF?

And given that you have 3 very distinct synthesis types, that raises the bar substantially.

I'm not arguing in favor of one or another, just pointing out how similar they can be.... I owned a PE for a bit, and never really could see using the step sequencer for anything other than rhythmic sounds (which I tend not to use in my music). Other might love it... The sequencer on the MnM on the other hand is useful enough to make very interesting patterns that will integrate fairly well into another larger DAW sequencer...

I would still am considering getting a monoevolver at this point... But I was unsatisfied with the PE in that (perhaps naively), I thought I was buying a hybrid polysynth that would be my MAIN analogue....

EDIT: reading your last comment-I think a MnM + MEK would be perfect-you can sequence up to 4 of the parameters on the MEK from the MnM sequencer at any given time.... I think that's a much more intuitive way to take advantage of all the mod possibilities on the MEK.... hmmmmm! :-k :D
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby otto » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:You honestly could say the same thing about the monomachine. the individual synths are definitely simple no doubt, but to stop there would be missing the point. EVERYTHING can be modulated, so that while each synth may not have the range of parameters than the evolver does, the shear modulating capabilities is at least equal if not great than the evolver, simply because modulation can be continuous or stepped... One of the LFO destination is "parameter" on another lfo! WTF?

And given that you have 3 very distinct synthesis types, that raises the bar substantially.

I'm not arguing in favor of one or another, just pointing out how similar they can be.... I owned a PE for a bit, and never really could see using the step sequencer for anything other than rhythmic sounds (which I tend not to use in my music). Other might love it... The sequencer on the MnM on the other hand is useful enough to make very interesting patterns that will integrate fairly well into another larger DAW sequencer...

I would still am considering getting a monoevolver at this point... But I was unsatisfied with the PE in that (perhaps naively), I thought I was buying a hybrid polysynth that would be my MAIN analogue....

EDIT: reading your last comment-I think a MnM + MEK would be perfect-you can sequence up to 4 of the parameters on the MEK from the MnM sequencer at any given time.... I think that's a much more intuitive way to take advantage of all the mod possibilities on the MEK.... hmmmmm! :-k :D

If I understand what your saying correctly, the evolver can also have an LFO routed to another destinate to another LFO. The sequencer can also be used as a modulation source rather than just a note on/off type of sequencing. The evolver has really deep modulation possibilities. Of course that's where you get in trouble and spend hours making an unusable patch... :?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:12 am

otto wrote:If I understand what your saying correctly, the evolver can also have an LFO routed to another destinate to another LFO. The sequencer can also be used as a modulation source rather than just a note on/off type of sequencing. The evolver has really deep modulation possibilities. Of course that's where you get in trouble and spend hours making an unusable patch... :?

yeah, while they are both OTT in that area, the evolver probably wins out for shear number of LFOs and env per voice plus sqeuencer, etc... but the specific MnM modulation that I was referring to-you can have an lfo modulate the actual "parameter" page itself... I don't even know quite exactly what's going on, but if that isn't nuts I don't know what is! :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Suburban Bather » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:33 pm

How about this, can the Evolver get as digitally lo-fi as the MnM? Everytime I fire up the MnM, I can't help my self with the weird morphing chip tune sounds. I have yet to hear how the MnM does with traditional synth sounds. That being said, I would go with the MnM first since you already have two bread n butter analog synths, then get the Evolver.
Suburban Bather

Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Postby hfinn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 am

Having had both a MEK and an MnM, I can say I prefered the MEK for just flat out weird sounds. It has a knob even for reducing bit rate (down to 2 if I remember correctly.)
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby Suburban Bather » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:32 am

hfinn wrote:Having had both a MEK and an MnM, I can say I prefered the MEK for just flat out weird sounds. It has a knob even for reducing bit rate (down to 2 if I remember correctly.)

Do you prefer the weird sounds the MEK produces over the MnM because of the nature of analog filters combined with the bit reducer? I only ask because the MnM also has bit reduction, but is a completely digital signal path. The OP has an MS-20, so he could run the MS-20 through the MnM's bit reducer. He did say that he will end up getting both the MEK and MnM though, so it doesn't matter end the end.

Just talking shop, not arguing :D
Suburban Bather

Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts