Octave Kitten constant sustain

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Octave Kitten constant sustain

Postby Murderhausen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:24 am

Ok, so when I got my Kitten, it had a note that would play endlessly. I took the unit apart and discovered that one of the key bushings was missing, so I fabricated a new one and solved my problem.

Now a different key is acting the same way. I took my machine apart again to realize that a similar problem was not, apparently, occurring. The wires seemed to be off their bars, but the note continued to sound. Furthermore, it seems that the note sounding is not an actual note, but rather a tone between the lowest F sharp and G notes. I don't know if this is a common problem with this kind of keyboard arrangement (two bars, two wires) or not, but any advice would be lovely.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...
Murderhausen

Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Advertisement:

Re: Octave Kitten constant sustain

Postby Bross » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Does the note change when you play another note?

It would be helpful to monitor the CV and gate outputs ("To Slave" TRS connection) with a multimeter to see if they are ok. Then you can determine if the problem is occuring before or after the CV and gate signals are generated.
Bross

Postby Murderhausen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:35 am

I don't know what the business about slave trs or whatever was, but yes, the notes still respond when played. Strangely, however, notes above AND below the sustaining tone can be heard. Perhaps it is worth mentioning what I thought was going to be the problem (and may still be) when I opened the fellow up:

The keyboard had a touchy keyboard control on/off switch. It always worked fine for the off position, but sometimes you had to mess about with the switch for it to stay in the proper on setting instead of making a load of garbled nonsense. Eventually (or so I thought) the switch stopped staying in the on position at all, but I don't recall it sustaining a tone before I switched it off for the past month or so.

If you can explain more in-depth about how to diagnose the machine, or offer any advice based on my further illustration of the problem, I would be most appreciative.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...
Murderhausen

Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Postby Bross » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:00 am

It sounds to me like you have a bad component, maybe a bad op-amp chip that handles the gate and CV signals. Unfortunately I don't have the schematics to verify. You should try to find a repair shop that has worked on analog synths. If they know what CV and Gate do, they can fix it.
Bross

Postby Maschinengeist » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:04 am

I've got a few ideas... but I have not yet been able to check anything out or really think about it.

I had the big schematic of the Kitten - but disappeared with my wife's last clean-up. Now I have no idea (nor she as a matter of fact) where it is now.

I'll try to come back to you on this as soon as I get a minute to check this out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Postby rhino » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:28 pm

some quick nosey questions from an amature solder-dripper:

1) when you press a key, does the 'bad' tome go away, or do you hear TWO tones at once?

2) turn on some 'glide' and play a higher note. does the 'bad' tone slide up to the new note, or jump

3) when you power the synth on, do you always get THE EXACT SAME stuck tone?

4) do the pitch control , octive control or filter cutoff have any effect on the stuck tone?

bill
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm resurrecting this, because I've also run into an Octave Kitten with a stuck tone.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 pm

It seems to trigger the gate for each key, but there is absolutely no pitch change per key. I checked every wire, and they all seem to contact correctly. I checked all the pin connections, which seem fine. There is literally no service manual I can find online. All I get are dead links! Is this thing that rare?
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8

Postby Synthaholic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:28 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:It seems to trigger the gate for each key, but there is absolutely no pitch change per key. I checked every wire, and they all seem to contact correctly. I checked all the pin connections, which seem fine. There is literally no service manual I can find online. All I get are dead links! Is this thing that rare?
You say it "triggers the gate" for each key, but does the sound drone on? Did you check the signals on the CV and gate outputs? Have you tried the different positions of the Gate/Env/Bypass switch in the VCA section? Does the envelope respond, or does it just stay at the "sustain" level (try turning the sustain slider up and down).

And the pitch doesn't change per key--does the pitch CV change when you hit different keys? Check the "keyboard control" switch in the VCO section to make sure it is working.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Hey Synthaholic. Thanks for the response. The sound does not drone on. The envelopes are working. I've tried every combination of the switches to no avail. I'm not sure how to check the signals on the CV outputs. I have a multimeter, but couldnt get a response from it. The pitch is the same for every key, but I'm not sure how to check if the CV changes. I've checked the keyboard control switch in the VCO section, and although it's a bit wonky, it appears to be working correctly. In the on position, the keys dont trigger at all.

Unfortunately, while I was touching different J-wires to the bar yesterday, it somehow blew the frickin fuse. So now I've gotta track down the right fuse, to give a more detailed analysis.

I've also found that the LFO seems to have no rate at all. The LFO LED is always fully on. Changing the slider produces a very very minor change (i.e. hardly noticable), but the LED stays lit. Again, thanks for the advices Synthaholic.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8

Postby Jabberwalky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 am

Update: With the VCO control switch on, it only plays an extremely high note, but the keys DO trigger it. Still the same pitch. The LFO is still the same.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8

Return to HELP!