Octave Cat vs. Arp Odyssey

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Octave Cat vs. Arp Odyssey

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Was considering an Avatar (Oddy mkiii? in a box), and was wondering which of these was more effective in the far out noises dept.

I've read the very useful SOS comparison, and the only major plus that I can see the oddy having over the Cat is the ring mod... whereas the Cat has double cross mod and filter mod... (so an oddy might be redundant)

Still the arp seems to have its own unique sound, and I'm wondering what people prefer...

And can anyone clarify what the innards of the Avatar are? Is it mkiii or what? i read somewhere that it has the 4075 filter, but I'm not sure which version of oddy that appears in.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Advertisement:

Re: Octave Cat vs. Arp Odyssey

Postby OriginalJambo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:05 am

At first glance it may seem that the CAT is a direct copy of the Odyssey, but if you look more closely at the features and implementations of all the modules you'll find there's quite a fair difference. I suppose you could say that Octave were heavily inspired by the Odyssey when developing the CAT - they certainly went as far as to borrow ARP's "duophonic" feature - but it's really not fair to say it's a complete knock-off.

There's one thing for certain though - it sounds great (although I can't comment on the Odyssey which might may well be even more awesome!). I do however find it quite strange that the build quality of the CAT is at least on par (if not superior) to that of the Odyssey, especially when you take into account it was one of the more affordable synths of its time.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:41 am

Sorry OJ, you're telling me what I already know (especially as I already have a Cat) :wink:

I am just wondering about the exact differences in terms of sound... Somehow, the oddy seems to win (in my brain) in terms of far out sounds, but I think that may be simply because its ring mod (plus S + H) is responsible for a lot of what I assciate with crazy oddy noises.

I have a feeling that the cat wins out in terms of total modulation... but I do love that ring mod sound.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby hfinn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:24 pm

The odyssey can pretty crazy with modulation. LFO one can go into LFO mode and then you can do all sorts of cross mod in addition to the ring mod.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby otto » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Sir Ruff - I heard the Octave Cat is pure shit, you can hardly give them away... :wink:
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby OriginalJambo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 am

otto wrote:Sir Ruff - I heard the Octave Cat is pure shit, you can hardly give them away... :wink:

...but it does have an awesome name! ;)
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:10 am

haha... yes indeed... well, it's surprising what a calibrated one sounds like if you've never heard it (calibrated) before!
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby AstroDan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I got your PM, Ruff. I put mine back together and it's okay now. It seems the less I fool around with it, the more it heals itself.

I agree, from what I've heard of the Arp, they sound different and are in no way sonically identical. People hear 'lawsuit', check out the specs (which are slightly different) and shout copy-cat...but I have never heard one single reference to them sounding remotely the same. In fact, with a wide open filter the Cat sounds more like the Mini.

The Odyssey is reedy and sharp - but in a really good way. I bet that LFO routing gets insane. The cross mod of both VCO's on the Cat really make it a freaky noise machine though, real clanky and FM like; like two Viking armies clashing. The VCO 1 filter mod is cool, too.

I really don't think they would be redundant. Maybe we could talk Jexus into doing an FX video of the Odyssey.
Too futurist to live.
AstroDan

Postby The Squirrelly Drunk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 pm

excuse me, but i do believe octave cat is the victor, as illustrated here:

http://whatyouseewhenyoudie.ytmnd.com/
The Squirrelly Drunk

Postby Esus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Back in the day, I worked in a club band where both keyboard players used Cats for bass lines and a few effects. Listening back to the tapes, they did have a fatness that suggested a Mini more than an Oddy. I ended up owning one of those Cats for a while. Oddys seemed to generate more slider noise, whereas the Cat seemed much quieter. I think Octave sold them for at least a couple hundred less than an Odyssey, which was probably one motivation for ARP to sue them.
I think a Cat in good shape is definitely more vintage than an Oddy, especially a MKIII with that god-awful PPM.

Just an opinion...
Esus

Postby OriginalJambo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Esus wrote:Listening back to the tapes, they did have a fatness that suggested a Mini more than an Oddy.

You can say that again. The CAT is probably one of the "fattest" synths I've played so far.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Synth Shootouts