JoMox discontinuing the SunSyn

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: JoMox discontinuing the SunSyn

Postby steveman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:17 pm

3vcos wrote:there a lots of vca chips out there. Its probably a that corp. vca.
Also, the problem isn't getting replacements for dead chips its getting them in the large quantity needed for new sunsyns. If 4-5 are needed to fix a broken sunsysn its probably no big deal. But, if you need 1000 to build 5 sunsyns that quantity won't be available.

Unlikely to be a That corp. VCA, at around $5 each, that's $900 just for the VCAs in the SunSyn... More likely CA3080s (which are getting hard to find).

A monophonic version would be interesting, always thought the SunSyn had some interesting features - the 'ramp controlled oscs.' and the multiple pole filters.
steveman

Advertisement:

Postby 23 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Something I couldn't help but note, is well, there have been those on here that for whatever reason think there's been a resurgance in synths.
That somehow that current day is anything even remotely close to how things were in the 80s and 90s (tappering off in the later 90s)....
anyhow, he pretty stated it multiple times, that the market for this stuff is pretty darn niche. It's not at all a big market by any means.

When you look at Jomox, Moog, DSI, Future-Retro, etc. These cats aren't at all tossing instruments out left and right. Similarly, Roland hasn't been tossing out V-Synths (notably GTs) left and right. Word not be said of the beast called the Oasys.
Anyhow, for better or for worst, the synth market is not a very big market by any means. It's single biggest part being in the workstation domain and catering towards emulative capabilities....that in and of itself just happens to be an area that once Roland and Kurzweil are excluded (IMO), the synth engines aren't the focus there (the JV, XV, and VAST engines are surprisingly very deep considering what typically lies underneath a workstation).

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Postby 0000 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:42 pm

Something I couldn't help but note, is well, there have been those on here that for whatever reason think there's been a resurgance in synths.
That somehow that current day is anything even remotely close to how things were in the 80s and 90s (tappering off in the later 90s)..

the late nineties saw lots of groove box and va sales.

resurgence>i think they are describing analog synths markets

Postby stikygum » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:19 am

I think last winter I heard that new Sunsyns might be in the works to come with the new OS, but that it would be in the $5000-6000 range. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to a new OS.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers