Emu SP12 users?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Emu SP12 users?

Postby HamTyler » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi - I was wondering if any SP12 users could help me identify a fault.

I foolishly bought an Emu SP12 without testing the sampling capabilities, and by the time i got around to it, it was too late to call the guy up.

Anyway, I cant seem to sample anything without having a nasty click at the start and end of the sample, even when I sample complete silence with the input cable unplugged. No matter how much I truncate the sample, the clicks always play. Interestingly, when i put it in sample mode, the VU meter is a third of the way up when the signal path is silent (including when the input cable is unplugged). Do you know if its normal for the VU to disply a level like this when the signal path is silent?? Could this have something to do with the clicks?

Any help appriciated.
HamTyler

Advertisement:

Re: Emu SP12 users?

Postby mavertron » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:53 pm

i reckon you might just need to edit the start and end points of the sample ?
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.
mavertron

Postby HamTyler » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:15 pm

HamTyler wrote:No matter how much I truncate the sample, the clicks always play.

Nah, even when i edit the start and end, the clicks stay, they just move in. Check out this screen grab from soundforge. This is a recording of a 0.4sec sample that i took with the gain knob at zero and the input cable unplugged. as you can see the sample is over 0.6secs, but its exactly 0.4 between the 2 peaks. Its almost like the SP is producing the clicks when it starts and stops accessing RAM, but this doesn't make sense, because there's no clicks at all if i load in library sounds from floppy disk?

I've also noticed that even when the user pads are empty (after I've cleared out the RAM) the pads produce a single click when pressed.
HamTyler

Postby KennethA » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi Tyler.

Well ... I had some time to try stuff out tonight - and I tried to sample 0.3 seconds of 'nothing' on each of my SP-12 turbo's eight voices.

The result is interesting. There are clicks on all my eight voices. They are different as the filter settings vary from voice assignment to voice assignment as you probably know. Very interesting test indeed.

I have NEVER experienced this before as I really didn't notice before sampling nothing. I have created some pics and a MP3 file for you to listen to. The audio file is normalized so you can clearly hear general noise. I couldn't really hear it before I pushed the volume UP a lot.

I don't think my SP12 is sick in any way - I just think the 12 bit D/A converter sounds like this. I believe it's constructed like this. But maybe the last 20+ years of use degraded the quality of the components - I don't know :-)

Take a look / listen here:
http://www.inthebox.dk/sp12/

KennethA
12bit.com
KennethA

Postby HamTyler » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks Kenneth - Your second pic is almost the same as mine. I think this means we both have the same problem? This is what a guy on another forum said :

it's some sort of offset problem in the sp12 analog to digital converter. the offset doesn't show up there because of ac coupling in either the sp12 or your computer soundcard (or both.) it's still there in the sample though, you can probably see it when you dump it to the computer digitally.
HamTyler

Postby KennethA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 am

Yeah. But I still wonder if it's 'supposed' to be this way. Maybe it is the state-of-the-art components used at that time that does it.

Maybe another SP12 user in here could try it out too ?

Again; I really can't hear it when recording samples with SOUND in it :-). Or at least I've never noticed it before now.

I'll keep using this fine FINE piece of drum machine as usual !

KennethA
Emax, Emax II, Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, EIIIXP, SP12 Turbo, SP1200, E6400, E6400 Ultra, Drumulator with Pad Programmer, PPG 360 Wavecomputer, PPG Wave 2, PPG Wave 2.3, PPG EVU, PPG PRK FD, PPG Waveterm B + a lot more.
KennethA

Return to HELP!