eBay advice - Have a look here

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: eBay advice - Have a look here

Postby Box » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:12 am

cornutt wrote:Heads up, guys! Someone has used what appears to be a hijacked account, "prestigebmwoframsey", to spam the Ebay US electronic musical instruments section with a huge number of fraudulent listings. Besides this user name, they all appear to have a starting bid of $111.00. The text and photos for all the listings that I've looked at appear to have been copied from other listing. Some people are falling for what appears to get a piece of vintage kit very cheap; there is a P5 that is bid up to $577. There are other inconsistiencies in the listings; for example, the listing header says the items are in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, but the listing text says they are in Italy.

I would recommend not bidding on any of these listings, and retracting if you already have bid. I've sent a report to Ebay. The listings start expiring about 16 hours from now.

I saw that too, saw a MiniMoog at $111 with 16 hours left shat myself and then I notice there are a lot of other synths at the $111 start bit with 16 hours left and it's the same dude. So then I check his feedback and his last transaction was a year ago. So then I go to his items and there's 5 pages of items that end in less than a day with the $111 start bid. The listing also states that there is a BIN of $1,250 on all items. I also noticed there are a bunch of auto listings, particularly a Ferrari with the bid up to around $150,000. I wonder if the auto listings are also fake. I'd hate to lose $150 grand...
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!
Box

Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum

Advertisement:

Postby cornutt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm

About 20 minutes after I posted here last night, Ebay took down all of the non-automotive listings. They left the autos up, so I guess that's legit (the user name would suggest so).
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby cornutt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:30 pm

Well, this morning, they're all back, under a different user name, "showman". Exact same listings otherwise. They all expire around 9:00 AM Central tomorrow. The user "showman" appears to be a sports memoribilia dealer, so it's probably a hijacked account. Whoever is doing this must have some kind of script that is scanning for vendors with good feedback, guessing passwords, and then immediately inserting a ton of listings when it succeeds in cracking one. I'm about to send Ebay another message.

Whoops: I just checked again, and before I could even send a message, Ebay got them down already. But I'll bet they will turn up again under some other user name. And eventually the scammers will make their script smarter and it won't be so obvious that it's them. Be vigilant, folks.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby minime123 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:14 pm

ive got some smart friends who surprisingly were fooled by scammers. it was the really attractive price that suckered them. if its underpriced, think twice. though there have also been enough scams at market rate. be careful.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- http://www.123synthland.com (redirects)
minime123

Postby guitarsandsynths » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:25 am

cornutt wrote:Well, this morning, they're all back, under a different user name, "showman". Exact same listings otherwise. They all expire around 9:00 AM Central tomorrow. The user "showman" appears to be a sports memoribilia dealer, so it's probably a hijacked account. Whoever is doing this must have some kind of script that is scanning for vendors with good feedback, guessing passwords, and then immediately inserting a ton of listings when it succeeds in cracking one. I'm about to send Ebay another message.

Whoops: I just checked again, and before I could even send a message, Ebay got them down already. But I'll bet they will turn up again under some other user name. And eventually the scammers will make their script smarter and it won't be so obvious that it's them. Be vigilant, folks.

This guy has been at it for a while now.
Uses always the same text with the same fonts and a different gmail address: "Don't bid before contacting me at whatever@gmail.com or I will cancel the bid!" with colored letters.
Moog ModelD SCI Prophet5 Drumtracks Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 MS3 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII HammondM3 Leslie120 DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202
guitarsandsynths

Band: Brazility

Postby plikestechno » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:26 am

Good thread.

Ebay's such a pain in the ass but I live up in guitar land where you rarely see anything and sometimes the deals are so good you can't say no.

Buying or selling is a pain. Out of town Craigslist and Kijiji too.

As far as selling goes I've learned. All I do now is list it at its going rate BIN with immediate payment required, paypal only, offer free shipping in North America and it's sold within a day or two. People hate paying for shipping. I don't care about offering free shipping because with the current exchange rate it works out fine and I'll sacrifice $30 to make a $700 sale. I state explicitly that it is shipped by Canada Post with tracking and insured for the full amount, is sold as-is and non-returnable. I make sure to get it out within a week (two max.) I'm not a techy guy and hate getting anything broken so I don't bother with buying or selling broken equipment. The last six pieces of hardware (including a full-sized accordion) I've sold have gone very smoothly. I pack well and when I buy I make packing suggestions. At least a couple inches around the unit should be packed very tight to prevent movement, the unit should be wrapped in a couple or three rounds of bubble wrap (bubbles in) with the rest of the box packed around it.

Buying's a crapshoot. I've bought so many things for such great prices, especially compared to here, but also compared to Ebay. Sometimes EBay BIN's and out of town Craigslist's are so cheap because people just have to sell them right now or don't know what they're worth. I have a list in the cheapest synth thread. Like once from Nashville I got a mint JX-10 with PG800 and 4 M64C plus road case for $500+shipping. And that's when the dollar was at par.

But after lots of luck am currently nervous about two recent buys. One thing I paid for over two months ago and it hasn't shown up. I should get my money back next week as I finally had to file a claim. I mentioned in the claim that if the item showed up working after the refund I would repay him. I'd rather have the item but will just end up buying something else.

I usually wait until the full 45 days for a claim. I know things happen and am cool if someone takes a couple of weeks to ship but I may have to whip out a claim on the weekend only 10 days after I bought an item if another guy doesn't get back to me. I bought it last week and the guy sent me a wrong invoice so I let him know and he emailed me saying sorry almost instantly and then he sent me a new one. I paid him a few hours later and gave some shipping suggestions as he had perfect feedback but didn't seem to have sold an instrument yet. I'm just nervous because it's been a week and he hasn't emailed me since he changed the invoice. At all. Not even to say he got payment. It says he ships 3 days after cleared payment so that should have been yesterday. Just a heads up email would be nice. I just really want this synth. It's not one I'd be selling down the road and looks like it's in real nice shape and was at an affordable for me BIN price. I bought it not even an hour after it was listed. So maybe that's why I'm more excited. It has Buyer Protection and he's a verified seller so maybe I should just relax. Also in the back of my mind is that someone emailed him after the listing and offered him more money. I once bought a rare sealed record at a great BIN price and for weeks the guy gave me excuses before offering a refund then I found out later that he sold it off Ebay to someone else for more money. I got him banned but never got the record so what did it matter?

Would it be improper to file a claim only ten days after payment? A guy did that to me when I didn't get back to ONE email from him. I was pissed yet I understood and had a tracking number anyways.

My wife hates me ebaying but loves that I make music and spend time in the studio at night as opposed to other shenanigans. She doesn't hate the money part, it's my fun money so she doesn't care, more the perpetual stress around waiting for things to get here and hoping things get to my buyer's ok.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby plikestechno » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:55 am

Did you know there was a new rule on Ebay regarding sales of large ticket items by people with under 100 transactions?

They guy I bought the synth from almost two weeks ago had only 7 transactions and this was his first sale. So maybe he doesn't know that he has to show proof of shipment before he gets his money from paypal.

Maybe when I've emailed him encouraging him to send it out already maybe he thinks I am trying to scam him.

Has anybody else run into this problem when wanting to buy a synth?
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Postby plikestechno » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Sicked a paypal dispute on him an lo and behold it was in the mail the next day. Glad to have it now. Great condition.
plikestechno

Postby imnickb » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 pm

plikestechno wrote:Did you know there was a new rule on Ebay regarding sales of large ticket items by people with under 100 transactions?

...he has to show proof of shipment before he gets his money from paypal.

What's the new rule? Is there a price and transaction cutoff for the new rule?
imnickb

Postby killertofu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:44 am

Not quite eBay, but I think this is still relevant. Recently I contacted someone about a JP8 they were selling for $1800. Asking for more info, they replied with this-

Hello,
First I am going to tell you some things I think you should know before ending this deal.I travel a lot and now I am in Eastern Europe. The item is going to be shipped from Europe also.My item is used but like "NEW" come with all accessories.Now, I can ship through UPS air next day delivery. I will pay for all taxes. If you wish you can also send me your full shipping info so I can do.The price of the item is $1800 U.S dollars (as I said earlier with shipping and insurance taxes included).Just because of this I set up an insurance with Craigslist which guaranties 100 % of this deal. If you wish I can contact Craigslist right away and have them send you an invoice with my insurance.If you agree on my terms I am sure we can close the deal right now.Please reply after you think it over.Best regards

Ok- clearly a scam. But how about some proof? I replied with the following.

That sounds good to me. I think we have a deal!!!! The reason I am interested in the Jupiter 8 is because of the fantastic piano sounds it can create. Modern keyboards just don't compare! Wouldn't you agree? I was wondering if you could verify that it comes with all the sample disks (the full set is preferred) of sounds like pianos, accordians, etc. Also does it come with the original Roland sustainer pickup?

And they replied with.

Yes come with the full set and the original Roland sustainer.Must tell you If you are decid to buy,i need your shipping address to send all details at craigslist and for make reservation for your name on UPS Next day air and after you make and confirm the payment in maximum 2 days you will have the keyboard in your home.You have 14 days return policy. You can ask for refund or money back.
Thanks e-mail me back if you want contact craigslist to send the invoice with my insurance and all details for this deal.

#-o
killertofu

Postby ColdTrinity » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Alright brothers and sisters,

I need an advice on this one.
I sold Juno 6 last friday on ebay. Bidding went fine. Auction was closed at $450 for the unit. I thought SWEET! But then my headache started. I clearly stated that I needed buyer to send payment within 24 hours (taking off for two weeks to europe) so that i can send the synth in time. I sent him invoice and email right away upon the auction was done. I never received nay respond from the guy until today. He just said : "can I pay for the item on 27th. I have some issues with my account ...".

why I can/should do?
this happend to me before with another synth. guy never paid and soon hiw ebay account went away.
Am I doing something wrong?

any advice woudl be appreciated!

Z
.... gold rush, golden years ...
ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SCI-Pro One/ROLAND- Jupiter 6, Juno 60/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1, DW8000
Band: Voight-Kampff Machine

Postby supermel74 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:00 am

ColdTrinity wrote:any advice woudl be appreciated!

Z
This advice won't help your current situation, but I would recommend abandoning the auction format completely and from here on list everything as a Buy It Now and require Immediate Payment.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby supermel74 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:06 am

I just sold a digital recorder on Ebay for $299 to a buyer with zero feedback. I shipped it Priority Mail with Insurance and Delivery Confirmation. 2 days later the buyer emails me saying it was stolen off his porch. PayPal has now deducted my account pending an investigation. As it turns out, my Delivery Confirmation is worthless because said item sold for over $249.99 Items over $249.99 require Signature Confirmation or PayPal will automatically side with the buyer.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby ColdTrinity » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:12 am

thanks. that is good to know for the future reference.
.... gold rush, golden years ...
ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SCI-Pro One/ROLAND- Jupiter 6, Juno 60/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1, DW8000
Band: Voight-Kampff Machine

Postby Dogpupkus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:20 am

supermel74 wrote: Items over $249.99 require Signature Confirmation or PayPal will automatically side with the buyer.

Very good to know! So much for PayPal making things safe.
Dogpupkus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide