Andromeda A6 vs Xpander

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Andromeda A6 vs Xpander

Postby Bitexion » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:18 am

I still want a M12 or Xpander, but I don't wanna pay alot for it. And that cryptic interface will probably work more against me than with me anyways.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Advertisement:

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:53 am

Bitexion wrote:I still want a M12 or Xpander, but I don't wanna pay alot for it. And that cryptic interface will probably work more against me than with me anyways.

mmm... Everyone thinks that (I thought that), but it's really not crytpic... you just sort of fly around it picking a component, picking something to modulate it. There's no more than 2 pages to each section, and there really isn't a lot of info on each page. The editing isn't the problem at all, it's getting your head around what can do what to what, and what IS doing what to what (which is like any matrix-based synth). Things like the tracking generator still slightly boggle me... but if you were just making standard sounds, it's no different than the SQ-80 (sans single data slider, with the addition of numeric keys to enter values). In some sort of effort to save my knobs, I actually mostly enter values numerically.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby xpander » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:12 am

Sir Ruff wrote:In some sort of effort to save my knobs, I actually mostly enter values numerically.

you know, i've never entered values for parameters numerically, i always just twist the knobs. i find the interface fast & efficient really, very logical.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Postby Christopher Winkels » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:30 am

Does the A6 have tracking generators?

I think those are a really underrated feature. One of my biggest bones of contention with a lot of synths is mapping things like LFO speed to the keyboard. For a good string sound using a lot of PWM, I like having a very slow LFO rate at the bottom of a keyboard and an almost audio-rate speed at the very top end. Since most synths don't allow (or imperfectly implement) mapping rate to key position, I think this is a tremendously underrated feature, especially since with a tracking generator it need not be a linear line, but can be turned into a semi-exponential curve.

To answer the original question though: I've not owned either the Xpander/M12 or the Andromeda, but I think both would make a fine choice. In my heart though, the Xpander. It seems like such a high water mark in design and programming potential.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:22 am

Well, I did it... after months and months of humming and hawing, an andromeda will shortly be on its way! I finally found a (relatively) new one at a price I couldn't let pass.
The Xpander will have to battle with the andromeda for title of supreme analog in my studio... the MKS80 (even with the mpg80) already lost this fight, so it will be interesting to see how the Andy matches up. Loser will most likely be shown the door...
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby hfinn » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 am

I second that the M12 interface isn't very cryptic once you understand what's going on, which won't take long. As far as synths go without one knob per function, it's one of the easiest to grasp.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby Bitexion » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07 am

Oh you'll love the Andy to bits once you get the interface under your skin. It's not a difficult synth to program at all, even though it has 70 knobs on the front panel to scare people with :)

But give it some time, don't just judge it on presets. No synth should be judged on presets. They are just there to make customers go "woooo" when they press a single key in the shop.

Strip a simple patch down to the bare basics (single VCO, single filter, no effects, "gate" envelopes (no attack, full sustain lvl) and modulations), and store it as "init patch". Then you'll have an easy starting point always.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts