Oberheim OBXa -severely pissed off bitch

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Oberheim OBXa -severely pissed off bitch

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:22 pm

I've come to the realization that my Oberheim OBXa synthesizer is one severely pissed off bitch of an analog polysynth. I mean, seriously, it gets fucking mad the moment I power it on. There is nothing kind or friendly here. Every single patch is damn angry. I really think the Xa is the most pissed off synth Oberheim ever developed, even more nasty than the early FVS and OBX. The reason is the raunchy 4-pole 24/db filter. It just makes everything sound so balls-y it's hard to believe.

I think the OBXa represents true evil in this world. It's the AK-47 of polysynths. It's Al Queda. It's the dark side of the force. You play a chord, it says "fuck you bitch." I love it.
Leeroy Jenkins

Advertisement:

Re: Oberheim OBXa -severely pissed off bitch

Postby Yoozer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:32 am

Less gushing, more posting of sounds. What good is all that awesomeness if the rest of the planet never hears it? ;)
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby wiss » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:13 am

I would be piss if I was named after a tampon
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby clusterchord » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:24 am

i agree with Leeroy's sentiment, but prefer OB-Xa angryness in 12dB/Oct filter setting. just incredible, i feel thats where true soul of this machine lies. state variable filter circuit, like on OB-X and FVS, yet based on CEM3320. this is unique and not avail on any other synth (incl. OB-8).

the 24dB/Oct. filter is a separate circuit w its own CEM3320. its nice but i always found it a bit dark compared to other CEM 24dB filters, like Prophet5 Rev3, Pro One or OB-8 (when used in this setting). i find myself using it far less, cept for ocassional bass n lead duties.

if u dont mind me joinin in on this OB-Xa lovefest, i'd like to re-post my old OB-Xa demos. most are 12dBOct. only processing is a touch of PCM-70 plate, and that PWM lfo sound got nuendo ping-pong plugin:

modular: roland system 100, mn/synthtech euro, nord modular g1
mono: minimoog, source, sem, sem, sh2, sh101
poly: obx, obxa, xpander, p5, a6, jp8, jp4, ppg 2, mw, xt, q, vs rack, d550, jd990
other: akai s950, solina, rhodes, svc350, förster
clusterchord

Band: NIMBUS DEI

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:18 am

Interesting. Just shows how people have different tastes; I think the Xa really shine in 4-pole 24/db mode. That's the setting of the Jump sound, the Stand Back bass and pads, Terminator soundtrack, and so many others. I seldom set mine to 2-pole mode except when I want resonance sweeps. The OB-8 is almost as pissed off, but not quite. Very similar sounding instruments but true the OB8 can cover a lot more ground. So yeah, 4-pole is where its at for me.

I am waiting for the classic angry sounds of the Oberheim polysynths to come back in style again the same way the Jupiter series has. I just think its not quite there yet. Maybe in a few more years.
Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Clavier » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I am waiting for the classic angry sounds of the Oberheim polysynths to come back in style again the same way the Jupiter series has. I just think its not quite there yet. Maybe in a few more years.

Well, hopefully not before I get my OB-X! [-o<
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby clusterchord » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:07 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Oberheim OBXa synthesizer is one severely pissed off bitch

um.. you mean like this ?

gotta admit that was my first association when i saw the thread title :mrgreen:

modular: roland system 100, mn/synthtech euro, nord modular g1
mono: minimoog, source, sem, sem, sh2, sh101
poly: obx, obxa, xpander, p5, a6, jp8, jp4, ppg 2, mw, xt, q, vs rack, d550, jd990
other: akai s950, solina, rhodes, svc350, förster
clusterchord

Band: NIMBUS DEI

Return to General Synthesizers