Korg MS2000 + microkorg....

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg MS2000 + microkorg....

Postby THEODICY » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:46 pm

I have a MS2000 right now and want to double the poly... instead of getting another MS2000 is it possible to just do this with the microkorg? I did a search but couldn't find the answer, thanks.
THEODICY

Advertisement:

Re: Korg MS2000 + microkorg....

Postby Joey » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:20 am

no.

you need another ms2000 to put them in a/b mode
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby THEODICY » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:29 am

Damn, thanks anyway. There is a microkorg for $150 locally right now... still almost worth it for me.
THEODICY

Postby THEODICY » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:08 pm

Ok, how about this... can I load MS2000 patches into the micro?
THEODICY

Postby Sexor » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Yes :thumbright:
Monkey business since 2007!
Sexor

Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Postby diezdiazgiant » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:26 am

i was always under the impression that that was what the midi thru munction was for on midi gear.
granted i use mostly software besides a jx8p and ms2k. goes to show what i know ha.

so if 2 hardware synths are chained to the same midi channel will the result just basically be the equal of a unison mode? i stack my vsts to the same triggers all the time but it just occured to me that ive never tried to do that with my hardware.
blunted daydreaming
diezdiazgiant

Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap cuntfuck

Postby Yekuku » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:38 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote:so if 2 hardware synths are chained to the same midi channel will the result just basically be the equal of a unison mode? i stack my vsts to the same triggers all the time but it just occured to me that ive never tried to do that with my hardware.

No, it will be not.
1) waveforms are not identically the same in synths, so the result is not unison but a layered sound.
2) in order to have such a result, you must use two identical synths, with the same OS and the same components.
3) the midi thru introduces 1-2ms signal delay, so if u do use 2 identical synths, actually you are not getting unison because of the delay. This is possible via a midi merger/patchbay/multiple interface but then again there is the midi jitter which can mess timing too.

In the hardware world it is too difficult to get "true" unison this way but u can get some really cool fat sounds. :D
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby Pilot352 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:30 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote:i was always under the impression that that was what the midi thru munction was for on midi gear.
granted i use mostly software besides a jx8p and ms2k. goes to show what i know ha.

so if 2 hardware synths are chained to the same midi channel will the result just basically be the equal of a unison mode? i stack my vsts to the same triggers all the time but it just occured to me that ive never tried to do that with my hardware.

What he is trying to do is a little different than what you are referring to. The MS2K series and some others ( DSI P'08) have a mode that you can link two of the exact same synths together to increase polyphony. The setup tells one synth to play all the even notes and the other synth to play all the odd notes. Both synths receive MIDI on the same channel. Together, they act as one synth but with twice the polyphony. The synths must be exactly the same for this to work and they must have the same patches in them.

I currently do this with my two MS2K synths. Each can only play 4 notes at a time. Connected together in this manner, I now can play 8 notes at a time. Although the microkorg and the MS2K are based on the same engine, they are not 100% the same. This is why it won't work. I'm not even sure the microkorg has this mode in it's O.S.
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!
Pilot352

Return to HELP!