What I like about the mK:
- beautiful classic design
- very compact! (big plus. my room is crowded enough as it is)
- portable (can run on batteries!)
- nice vocoder
- cool mod matrix (though not SUPER flexible... can't ask for much at this price point)
- great sounds overall (yes, most of the factory sounds, with the exception of 2 or 3 are kind of lame, but you can get some great sounds from it when you get into programming in depth).
What i don't like so much about the mK:
- programming it CAN be kind of a bitch
- kryptic little screen
- keys are way too tiny for any serious playing (though that's a small price to pay for the portability)
- mod wheel acts a little weird at times. This is something that kind of popped up a little later after i was playing with it... and it just comes up randomly. I bring it up, and it modifies (for example) the vibrato just fine. Then i bring it back down and it sounds like it never really reaches 0. It doesn't always happen. And a sharp little thud, or bump on the left panel fixes this.. .but seriously, not a good idea to be having to hit this thing all the time.
Anyways, what attracts me to the KS:
- beautiful design as well
- compact (though not as compact as the mK)
- MUCH bigger memory than the mK
- haven't heard the vocoder but i've read it's quite good (and it's got a few more bands than the mK's)
- never heard the actual KS, but I absolutely LOVE the sound of the V-station, and the KS must sound even better
What kind of pulls me away from it:
- not really portable (though that's not much of a deal breaker. but it is a point in the mK's favor)
- do I really need another VA, when I already have a Virus TI Polar? (should've asked myself this as well when i got the mK, but it was so cheap i just couldn't help myself)
- do I really need it, when I already have V-station?
So... what kind of feedback/advice can the VSE crew give me on this? I wouldn't mind staying with the mK and using it to complement the TI Polar, and also as kind of a little "idea box" / portable mini-vocoder. But hot damn i can't stop obsessing over the K-Station. Someone talk some sense into me please.