Ensoniq TS-12 vs Triton LE

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Ensoniq TS-12 vs Triton LE

Postby goober » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm having a tough time picking between these two workstations. I prefer the Ensoniq TS-12 but I'm worried it may break down on me, and if it does I'm not sure how difficult it is to repair. Is it a reliable synth? I could get the Ensoniq TS-12 for $400 or the Korg Triton LE for $500, what would you guys do?
goober

Advertisement:

Postby crystalmsc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:40 am

Between the two, If there's a plan to do sampling, the original Triton are sometime being sold for cheap. The TR might need a sampling board. Also the Triton has a better built, features and later can be expanded using the MOSS board for more synthesis. Unless there's something specific such as transwave that's been after.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Ensoniq TS-12 vs Triton LE

Postby goober » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:57 am

I've made a mistake on the pricing of the Ensoniq TS-12 with shipping its actually $500 so they are priced evenly. I've found out that the Ensoniq TS-12 is ridiculously heavy, think I read it weighed like 60 pounds. Doesn't sound too good for gigging. I was just worried that the Triton LE would sound bland, the demos I've heard for the Ensoniq were pretty impressive but I haven't seen many. So the Triton has more potential? I probably won't be able to afford upgrades for a while though.
goober

Postby crystalmsc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:19 am

goober wrote:So the Triton has more potential?

The Triton has:
- aftertouch
- 5 inserts fx vs 1 in the LE
- audio processing, since it has an audio input built in (option in the LE)
- sampler built in (option in the LE)
- Way more comfortable screen and sequencer (sequencing, assigning fx, sound selection, programming)
- Better overall build
- more program and combi locations
- ribbon and dedicated arpegiator knobs
- Expandable with Moss, SCSI and PCM boards
those features are not available in the LE. But the LE has a smart media slot.
goober wrote:I was just worried that the Triton LE would sound bland

not sure by what you mean, but the Triton has way more fx power to make the sound or overall arrangement sounds more proper. I have a Karma with the MOSS board and the Moss board has plenty of character to like. Specially when combined with the HI engine.
goober wrote:I probably won't be able to afford upgrades for a while though.

there's a lot to do with the synth even without the upgrade and It already came with a 16mb or sample ram. But aside from the choice from the original post, to me the Alesis Fusion still the best bang of the buck workstation that you might also want to look before buying a used workstation in the price range.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby guitarsandsynths » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi!
I owned a TS12 back in the day. It has 76 weighted piano style keys that have a really good action. If you're piano player or care about that the TS 12 is your pick. I giged with mine, I had no case, it traveled wraped in blakets. It never broke, never gave me any problem. I sold it to good friend of mine who still has it, with no problems at all, working like the day I got it. It plays samples too, so when paired with the asr10 it makes a pretty powerful production set, IMHO. Now I have a ts10, wich has the same engine but with added aftertouch, but for some reason these are going for a lot more these days! I got my TS10 in 98 or 99 for $500, I've been giging the hell out of it. Again, no case, ehe! It fell a couple of times really hard. Has been banged over and over and still works like new. I don't know how hard it is to fix it, but for sure it's hard to break it!
Good luck!
Moog ModelD SCI Prophet5 Drumtracks Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 MS3 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII HammondM3 Leslie120 DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202
guitarsandsynths

Band: Brazility

Postby goober » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:50 am

Do you think you can provide some piano and string demos? Those are the most important factors between the two keyboards. Also maybe some other sounds that make the Ensoniq shine, thanks.
goober

Postby guitarsandsynths » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:56 am

goober wrote:Do you think you can provide some piano and string demos? Those are the most important factors between the two keyboards. Also maybe some other sounds that make the Ensoniq shine, thanks.

Sure bro!
What time is it?
I'm kinda drunk now!!!
Ehe!
Let's see...
Moog ModelD SCI Prophet5 Drumtracks Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 MS3 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII HammondM3 Leslie120 DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202
guitarsandsynths

Postby guitarsandsynths » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 am

Here it is!
Sorry about the poor drunken chops! :drunken:
guitarsandsynths

Return to Synth Shootouts