Roland JP8000 as a MIDI controller. A waste?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Roland JP8000 as a MIDI controller. A waste?

Postby modorange » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:20 pm

I kinda assumed that a dedicated USB/MIDI controller would work better than a JP8000 would but as I already have the JP8000 I was wondering about its usefulness on its own. Thanks Infrared, it seems like I may keep it long enough to see how well it suits my needs..
modorange

Advertisement:

Re: Roland JP8000 as a MIDI controller. A waste?

Postby modorange » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:24 pm

WELL this topic was started with a person who had a JP8000 already. asking if it was a good MIDI controller and if it should be kept as such. Then he sold it on eBay.

I still have my JP8000 and here's the thing. This synth was introduced as a flagship synth, utilizing modeling but still with tons of nice analog-type sounds and a bit more that the technology would offer.

So, even if a JP8000 isn't as good as most other dedicated MIDI controllers, all the knobs and sliders do transmit MIDI so you could use it as a controller and have much more left over with its array of built-in sounds and features.

I was thinking the synth was a bit dated being one of the first modeling synths and coming out in the 90s.. But who am I to pass that judgement? After all, most my other gear comes from the 70s (Rhodes, Minimoog, Roland SH-1, Ibanez AD-230). So with that in mind I took the JP8000 with me to a jam session last night because I knew there would be a keyboard player there. Everyone, not just the keyboard player, was digging the JP8000 and we realized that Roland put a lot of great ideas into this synth. As a standalone unit is is really great, so if it can be used as an adequate MIDI controller as well, then you're really getting something extra, right?
modorange

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide