AKAI VX90 (is any one out there?)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

AKAI VX90 (is any one out there?)

Postby theunfrailhale » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:47 am

i bought an akai VX 90 off of cragslist a few months back and i was really excited to get to mess with a real analogue synth. I played it at the owners house for a good 10 minutes and messed around with some sounds, and i was pleased. I think i paid somewhere around 300 for it.

so...

i get it home, i plug it in to my basic M-audio keystation and im messin around. I started pushing some random "advanced function" combinations to see if i could get it to do anything other than change midi channels, and all that ended up happening is my octaves went out of tune. to define that a bit more, when you play a c scale, it goes c-d-e-f-g-a-b-c, well the sounds that the synth is making is more like, c-c-c#-f-g-a-b-c.

so my first thought is, damn it. i figure i used some arbitrary midi command to swap the notes in my octaves. i read something about nprn-s in a midi book, the commands that m-audio has listed for my keyboard are relatively simple, and i tried the "reset all controllers" command, and no real difference.

so i started playing around with it last night, and this is what gets me worried, if i play the affore mentioned octave and the sounds are c-c-c#-f-g-a-b-c, ill play an octave lower, and they are the same relative notes, BUT, when i go up to the original octave and i play it, the notes are different than their orignal deviation, like, it will play c-d-e-eb-f-a-b-c. ... so now im thinkin its something more like the pitfalls of analogue synths, and that my VCO's or something electrnoic is going out on my synth.

those are the things that I have tried, any help would be appreciated , IE suggestions or whatever. I have found close to nothing on this synth on the internet, so i know relatively little about it. If ANYONE has a pdf of the manual, or knows how to address this issue, OR if this issue is even fixable, please advise. mabey its a midi command? is it worth fixing?

thanks
Dave.
theunfrailhale

Gear: AKAI VX-90, PT LE, M-audio controller, and a sound-brush mkII/soundcanvas combo...
Band: numbers like pi

Advertisement:

Re: AKAI VX90 (is any one out there?)

Postby rhino » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:58 am

contact sales@muzicelektronix.com for a copy of the owners manual, my guess is that it needs to be reset....sounds like some midi command has upset the autotune function.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Z » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 am

Congrats on the score! I had one in the early 90's. Pretty cool machine especially having control of VCF with velocity.

The AX-73 is pretty much the keyboard version of the VX-90 rack. You may find what you need there.

I may still have the manual. I'll check Saturday.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby theunfrailhale » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:31 am

rhino wrote:contact sales@muzicelektronix.com for a copy of the owners manual, my guess is that it needs to be reset....sounds like some midi command has upset the autotune function.

awesome dude, thanks for the lead, i emailed em, and we'll see what i can get.
theunfrailhale

Gear: AKAI VX-90, PT LE, M-audio controller, and a sound-brush mkII/soundcanvas combo...

Postby theunfrailhale » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:33 am

Z wrote:Congrats on the score! I had one in the early 90's. Pretty cool machine especially having control of VCF with velocity.

The AX-73 is pretty much the keyboard version of the VX-90 rack. You may find what you need there.

I may still have the manual. I'll check Saturday.

whatever helps is welcome, if you do have it id be into a pdf, or whetever you can send. Im stoked on the machine, but wary of bum gear... Its got some cool sounds as far as I can tell, and im stoked to get to know it some more... Hopefully this works out...
theunfrailhale

Postby Z » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:52 am

I don't know how to make PDF's. Let's see if I have it first. I'd go ahead and DL the AX73 manual first and see if there are any answers there.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Lophophora » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:43 am

There's a cleaned-up version of the VX90 manual in the Akai Yahoo group:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/experimental_akai/

Good luck!
Lophophora

Postby rhino » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:17 pm

my bad! that link is:

store@muzikelektronix.com

:oops:
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby theunfrailhale » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Lophophora wrote:There's a cleaned-up version of the VX90 manual in the Akai Yahoo group:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/experimental_akai/

Good luck!

thats awesome! [-o< thanks for the lead! now i gotta sift through the manual for midi parameters i may have messed up...

what is the chance that its an actual electrical component issue and that the notes are off due to bad voltages?
theunfrailhale

Postby Lophophora » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:45 am

You are very welcome.

Before you worry about voltages, etc. just let the thing warm up for 15 minutes and go through the autotune function described on Page 5 - unconnected from your controller.

And once again, best of luck!
Lophophora

Postby justinvm » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:16 pm

I owned an AX-73 for about a year. It only has a very limited midi implementation. Pitch, mod, velocity and note data (that is all).

The unit requires a tune at startup. So hit the autotune button. It should pause for a moment and display TUNING.

If that doesnt work then I dare say there is some problem with your autotune. It is impossible to change the pitch to note value via midi. Also, try different patches as you may be modulating pitch with the envelope.

- J
justinvm

Postby theunfrailhale » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:14 pm

ill give that autotune thing a try, and warming up makes sense too... i was reading about the autotune thing last night and it sounded like it involved "slave midi devices," and i wasnt sure how that was supposed to work, but if all i have to do is warm it up and hit autotune, im in good shape.... Ill try it and let you know later today how it works.
theunfrailhale

Postby justinvm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:59 am

It's an analog synth that uses VCOs. They must be calibrated in order to respond to the correct pitch. You will need to tune the VX90 on almost every time you use it, like a guitar.
justinvm

Postby theunfrailhale » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:40 am

Lophophora and justinvm, you guys hit it right. i hit the autotune button and there were no issues at all. I tried that button, but kept hitting other ones trying to make it more complicated than it was.... so. That is great news :D thanks for all the input, im stoked to get to know it better... and thanks for the lead on the manual, i guess google doesnt search yahoo forums =P
theunfrailhale

Postby Lophophora » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:47 am

Congratulations!

The first rule of trouble-shooting old hardware (or anything for that matter)
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate

Have fun with your VX90!
Lophophora

Next

Return to HELP!