Help me decide between these two samplers...

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Help me decide between these two samplers...

Postby Blackie1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm looking at either an Akai S2800, or a Boss SP-202. Before you say "Akai!", just hear me out. I really like the 202 because it's a desktop unit. I'm gonna be using this live, and the rack mount Akai seems like it'd be difficult to use for that stuff. Also, the 202 has lots of effects, and even though it has only 1 parameter control for them, it seems like it'd be better suited for me. I like the Akai, simply because it's an Akai, a very well-known and popular sampler, with great sound, but it only has some effects. Nothing a multi-effects box wont solve. But I'm not sure if it's any good for live performance (and just practice), with little buttons, not big pads like the Boss. I need some help deciding.

I'm also considering the SP-303 (I'd really like it, but I have an offer for the 202 for pretty cheap), and maybe a Korg Electribe A. This will be my first sampler.
Blackie1

Advertisement:

Re: Help me decide between these two samplers...

Postby modulator_esp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:33 pm

what are you going to be using the sampler for?

the sp202 is a very basic loop/groove sampler that is good for triggering fx/loops and stuff like that, it also has a very basic sequencer, it plays back samples from its onboard memory or smartmedia, so there's no load time

the s2800 is designed for for playing sampled instruments sounds which you'd need a midi keyboard or pads to trigger but it can do much more as it has a synth engine built in, it has to load samples into ram from a floppy or hard drive so is a lot less convemient
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)
modulator_esp

Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Postby JSRockit » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:45 pm

Have you thought about the Akai S20 over the S2800? Anyway, avoid both and go right to the SP-303 or SP-404...
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Blackie1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:07 pm

Yeah, I've considered the S20. It just seems like too little.

I think I'll mostly be using it for loops (NOT drum loops, but sound loops, sort of) and stuff. Here are a few youtube videos demonstrating what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2hpbpjwak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i7-2DLK-5w

I'm not simply using it like a DJ, with grooves. It's for Ambient, concrete stuff. I really would like an SP-404, but those are too expensive at this point. I could save up for one, but I don't know if it's worth my time right now. The SP-303 was always my first choice, but I got good deals on these two. If nothing else, I think I'll stick with the 303.
Blackie1

Postby modulator_esp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:26 pm

If that's the sort of thing you want to do, the SP series would definitely fit the bill, you could probably do something similar with the S2800, but it would be a lot more work

The main drawback of the SP-202/303 is that they can only be expanded using Smartmedia, which aren't so easy to get hold of and quite limited size-wise, whilst the 404 can take Compactflash up to 1Gb!

Funnily enough I was doing something similar in my lunch break today, using my 404 and microkorg :)
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)
modulator_esp

Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Postby Blackie1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 pm

Hmmm.. Well the 202 I found does come with the SM card, but the 303 would still be much better.
Blackie1

Postby crystalmsc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 am

the zoom sampletrak ST224 are usually being sold for cheap. As a desktop unit, I prefer it over the 202. as both need the rare SM card, the 224 wont expand the unit's memory and is the only way to back up the samples (4 mb max) since it didn't have midi out. But it would support bulk dump via midi in.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,MS20m,mntrb,Volcas,WD1
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby Blackie1 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Well, I think I've decided on the 303. I really would like that Akai, but the 303 seems like a better incorporation to my set.
That desicion could change though...
Blackie1

Return to Synth Shootouts