Vermona DRM1 mkIII

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Vermona DRM1 mkIII

Postby Shanesaw » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:18 am

Ok guys, i'm in the market for a good drum machine and i've been curious about the DRM1 for quite a while but I have never messed with one. The youtube demos are, well... youtube videos and there doesn't seem to be any hi-quality demos elsewhere that I could find. So tell me, is it all that and a kit-kat? I had an xbase09 for years and recently sold it so i'm looking for a good replacement. Obviously, there's no sequencer on the vermona but thats fine, Live will handle that. I understand the mkIII has an improved kick drum over the mkII is that right? Does the kick really kick? Any mkIII owners care to share any demos/advice?
Thanks!

Oh yeah, I've also been considering an 888, acid lab miami(if and when its released), and the MDUW but the MDUW and 888 are a bit out of my price range at the moment.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)
Shanesaw

Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Advertisement:

Re: Vermona DRM1 mkIII

Postby Z » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:37 pm

I had a used DRM1 briefly late 2008, but had to send it back to the seller becasue some of the channels were not panning correctly. I really enjoyed the synth, but did not have too much time to really explore it. I plan to buy another one when great deal presents itself. From what I remember, the kick was fair, but no match for my TR-808, 909 or SDSV, but that's not what I want the DRM1. I am looking for unique sounds to fill in the gaps that the classic machines lack, which the DRM1 does nicely.

In case you missed it, here's my DRM1 video:
Watch on youtube.com

I thought the quality was decent. But this wideget does not have the stereo sound, so you'll have to click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCcchTPdQY&fmt=18 if you want to hear it in stereo.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Shanesaw » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks Z, that sounded fine. I'm not really looking for a clone per se but if I were to pick up a mkIII, I don't want to be stuck in one of those "the drum machine is great except..." predicaments. But you know, that could be said for any synth or drum machine (as I try to convince myself to buy one of these). Uniqueness and flexibility are important and it seems the vermona offers that based off of what i've seen and heard. I really hate basing purchases off of internet info, mp3's, hearsay, etc., but what's a guy to do whose GAS'ing for a hardware drum machine that has no access to testing one out. I bought the XS purely on internet info and I couldn't be happier - guess I got lucky there. And speaking of the XS, it is completely capable of producing some wicked kicks so if the vermona lacks a bit of ompf in that area, the XS will pick it up.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)
Shanesaw

Postby Z » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Yeah, I wish there were more stores that carried "boutique" gear. Unfortunately, I (an many others) have to buy something to test it out to see if it lives up to the hype or suit our needs and if it doesn't, put it up on the auction block and consider the hit you take in reselling it a "rental fee."

Unless you're doing experimental type of music, I would not solely rely on the DRM1 for sounds. I think it's a great compliment for other machines.

Best of luck!
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Shanesaw » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks again Z. I just ordered one from novamusik about 10 minutes ago!
Shanesaw

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm

I enjoyed mine while I had it, but ultimately felt like it offered a lot more than I would make use of. The cymbals sound great-I wish vermona, TBS, MAM or any of those guys had just made a standalone cymbal rack like they did with the kik/tom and clap.

My one issue with the kick was that yes, it has incredible punch and bass, but if the decay of one kick leads into the attack of the next, it starts phasing, so you lose a consistently clicky attack (obviously crucial for kick patterns). Only solution is to either a) slow tempo, or b) reduce decay, but that means no boomy 808 style kiks for 4/4 stuff. Kind of a bummer.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby nadafarms » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:31 pm

For me it breaks down like this...

There are no new drum machines out there that are as punchy and good sounding as the old rolands. Though the vermona toms can do really cool FM synth sounds which I rate a 10/10, the kick, hats, clap, cymbals are really not that great at all.

Basically I think that the analog drum machines of today just don't use complex enough sounding noise sources and are simply not punchy like the old rolands. I'm obviously not a techy but the way roland implemented the noise circuits on the 808 and 606 is just unbeatable and drum machines like vermona and jomox seem to just take white noise and run it through a filter/amp and maybe add a click to the attack but in the end it just sounds boring and like a fart pffffff pshhhhhh.

And the punchiness of the kicks on the tr-909 and 808 aren't even beatable by the jomox kick even on the 888 (I've sold two of them)

Ot:
All the sounds on the xbase-888,999,09 just have a crappy quality to them i can't explain, it's just the jomox sound and I hate it. Sounds like a toy compared to a tr-909 or tr-808.

Anyhow, i would have recommend waiting until the acidlab miami comes out or just spend a little more on a 808/909.

Or just wait for the future retro/DSI/moog drum machine to come out!
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 pm

nadafarms wrote:Basically I think that the analog drum machines of today just don't use complex enough sounding noise sources and are simply not punchy like the old rolands. I'm obviously not a techy but the way roland implemented the noise circuits on the 808 and 606 is just unbeatable and drum machines like vermona and jomox seem to just take white noise and run it through a filter/amp and maybe add a click to the attack but in the end it just sounds boring and like a fart pffffff pshhhhhh.

Well, I dunno about jomox, but this definitely isn't the case with the vermona-the secret to a good hi-hat or cymbal is the combination of at least 2 tuned oscillators (the metal), and filtered noise (the decay) and the vermona has both. You are also given FAR more sound shaping abilities than any other hardware cymbal synth AFAIK, so it's not just going to sound immediately like an 808 or whatever. The only difference between the 808 hat and the 606 (and other older machines), seems down to filtering, and where you set the oscillator tuning. I had no problem making any of these types of cymbal sounds. Not total replications, but close enough. with the resonant filter, the vermona hats had crazy sizzle.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Shanesaw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 am

I guess if you own an 808/909 you cant help but compare any 808/909 wanna-be that comes along to them and then listen for their faults and short-comings. When I say "does the kick drum really kick?", I think by default, we compare kicks to the 808/909 as the benchmark. Nothing wrong with that, however, in my case I'm not searching for a clone, I'm just looking for something that has malleable sounds and offers a unique character.
I never really cared for the jomox snare and I thought the HH was alright but the kick sounding like a toy? Couldn't have been that bad could it? I guess I'd have to hear the differences in person to give me that perspective.
Shanesaw

Postby Shanesaw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:28 am

In light of all this 808/909/Vermona/Jomox talk, I made a little "wanna-be an 808" beat with the XS and Live. Not even close I know, but fun to make - yes!

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 66270&q=hi

Oh well. Had to post it the old way...
Last edited by Shanesaw on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shanesaw

Postby Shanesaw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:32 am

Hmmm. Anyone know why this isn't working? I'm using soundclick and I followed the directions for posting mp3's. :dontknow:
Shanesaw

Return to Buyer's Guide