Yamaha SY22, Roland D-50, Korg Wavestation, and Kawai K5

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Yamaha SY22, Roland D-50, Korg Wavestation, and Kawai K5

Postby rickyd » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Has anyone had the pleasure of having all of these synths in your rig at one time? In either case (Whether you had them all at once or at different times), what was your experiences like with them? Which do you think sound better overall for the type of music that YOU do?

As you see, this is not a true VERSUS question, but I just like to see different opinions based on personal experience, as well as the creative ideas of others.

Talk away!
rickyd

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha SY22, Roland D-50, Korg Wavestation, and Kawai K5

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:35 pm

I owned the K5. At the time I couldn't understand how to program my own sounds on it and the small LCD screen for editing didn't help in that regard. Additive synthesis is the complete opposite of subtractive synthesis (doh), rather than using filters to remove harmonics you build up the harmonics you want. That's nice in theory but knowing ahead of time what a particular harmonic structure will sound like was not intuitive. The overall sound is like most 80s digitals, on the cold side.

Believe it or not, I traded an ARP Odyssey for mine. Stupid trade :(
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby rickyd » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:41 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I owned the K5. At the time I couldn't understand how to program my own sounds on it and the small LCD screen for editing didn't help in that regard. Additive synthesis is the complete opposite of subtractive synthesis (doh), rather than using filters to remove harmonics you build up the harmonics you want. That's nice in theory but knowing ahead of time what a particular harmonic structure will sound like was not intuitive. The overall sound is like most 80s digitals, on the cold side.

Believe it or not, I traded an ARP Odyssey for mine. Stupid trade :(

Lol, yea, you probably shoulv'e kept it.

I heard samples of all of the mentioned (Well, I own the Wavestation though) except for the Kawai K5. I was wondering if there was a certain character to additive synthesis that would stand out or something.
rickyd

Postby Pro5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 am

Gonna sound like a broken record here but the D-50 is in a different class to those other synths you mention. The wavestation was cool enough of course... and still useful (if you don't want softare like atmosphere or something).

D-50 just nails it on so many levels, a beautiful bit of kit - but don't listen to me, I'm biased :)
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Return to Synth Shootouts