PPG Wave vs Sequential VS vs Waldorf Wave?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

PPG Wave vs Sequential VS vs Waldorf Wave?

Postby HideawayStudio » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:25 am

So if you had the money - which one and why? Answers on a post card :)

Ever since I had a tinker with a PPG Wave 2.3 supposedly previously owned by the Stranglers I've wanted one of these blue beasties. Despite the wonderful weird noises it produced I was very impressed with the extremely fat sounding basses it produced - lovely filters! I have a MicroWave I which I really like but I'm not sure how close this really sounds to the PPG.
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Advertisement:

Re: PPG Wave vs Sequential VS vs Waldorf Wave?

Postby Z » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 am

I've always wanted a PPG Wave - love the sounds that DM, O'Hearn & Rush got from them. I bought a VS hoping to get "that" sound, but it's not even close. I finially scored a 2.3 in 2007, but have not been able to get it working. I sent all the boards over to Alex @ Virtual Music in Vienna and had him update & repair them, but still not working right. But now he needs me to send the whole synth to him to better diagnose. Maybe later this year when the economy picks back up, I'll have the extra money to further this project.
Watch on youtube.com

I have never seen or heard the Waldorf in person. Not sure if I could even pick one out in a recording. Anyone know any good recordings or demos for this machine?

I wonder about the John Bowen Solaris as well. The demos I've heard sound great, but I can't justify dropping $3500 on a single synth. Thought about selling my VS & XTk to fund it if I make up my mind.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Steve Jones » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 am

I have used and serviced all three, and as amazing as the Wave is, I would take a PPG 2.3 and a Waveterm B as first preference.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

http://www.synthrepairs.com
Steve Jones

Postby Userfriend » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes, probably a PPG Wave with Waveterm for me too. The ability to sample and have all analog controls on the keyboardpanel is unique. But I´ve heard that it could be difficult to work with and that the manual is badly written.

The Waldorf Wave has a bit more features.

But we should´nt forget the PPG Wavecomputer. Very rare and sounds a bit different. Edgar Froese plays it a lot here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdnBzXtquE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqa9DKY0 ... re=related
Userfriend

Postby Z » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Userfriend wrote:Yes, probably a PPG Wave with Waveterm for me too. The ability to sample and have all analog controls on the keyboardpanel is unique. But I´ve heard that it could be difficult to work with and that the manual is badly written.

Didn't Dominic Milano from Keyboard magazine write the manual for the PPG Wave? Not sure about the Waveterm.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby stikygum » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:44 am

Not like it is much cheaper, but I've found the Sunsyn to be pretty dang good at PPG sounds.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby rockmanrock » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm

stikygum wrote:Not like it is much cheaper, but I've found the Sunsyn to be pretty dang good at PPG sounds.

And the "credit crunch" option, with a brilliant user interface and plenty of bite: the ESQ1. Not really a true substitute but I've just been tinkering with mine after not using it for ages and it's excellent.

As mentioned above though, the great basses on the PPG are probably down to the SSM filters. Cheapest route to the SSM sound - a Siel! Thinking about it.. an Emax would be damn good!
rockmanrock

Postby Joey » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:43 pm

check out the kawai k3... same exact filter as the ppg wave
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby calyx93 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Joey wrote:check out the kawai k3... same exact filter as the ppg wave

And would sound much more like a PPG Wave than the Siel mentioned above.

The SSM filters do make the basses more beefy and smooth - but it's the raw wave quality, VCA and fast envelopes that make a PPG really bite hard. This combination gives you the bright, tingly snap and deep timbre.

Back to the main subject:

Of the three, I too would choose the PPG system. It may be much more cumbersome to transport, set-up and use - but it has the most unique sound and personality compared to the others. I hate the sequencing, but everything else is fine - provided you have a good memory, patience and don't mind some trial-and-error programming.

Like you, I've been down the Microwave-as-PPG substitute - they're similar, but it won't get you the sound that you crave if you want the blue beasts. Trust.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Return to Synth Shootouts