Hartmann Neuron: Does a good demo exist?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Hartmann Neuron: Does a good demo exist?

Postby sensorium » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:34 am

I've been doing a ton of research looking for a demo showing the supposedly unique possibilities this machine offers. I've only found a few youtube videos/mp3's demonstrating less than impressive sounds. Have the capabilities of this machine been overstated in their marketing? Or is this truly a unique asset to a synth lover's arsenal?
sensorium

Advertisement:

Re: Hartmann Neuron: Does a good demo exist?

Postby hfinn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:48 am

They are fun. Ambient machines! Not to say that it can't do a lot more, but thats definitely a forte. I have had one twice but could never justify it after a while. Especially when you open it up and realize it's essentially a soft synth in a hard case.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby sensorium » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:59 am

Which I guess is the reason I'm wondering what is so special about them. Are they revered just for their rarity alone? If so, I have some turds for sale. They are very rare as I usually flush them. ;)
sensorium

Postby Z » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:00 am

I bought Shaggie's a year ago and was not impressed, so I let it go. I understand that the software version with its hardware controller is still available (at a fraction of the price of the hardware synth), so you might look into that.

Damn sexy looking synth, though:
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby stikygum » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 am

What made you unimpressed about it? Any good at leads and bass?I can't find any clips right now, but I thought this sounded better than what I find on youtube. Here's simple pad, but used to good effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bUsv_13 ... re=related
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby Z » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 am

I had never heard one before, but heard people say it was great for atmospheric pads. I guess I was hoping for something sounding like OmniSphere. The Nueron I had only had about 30-40 patches loaded into it and they all sounded like cold, dry, metallic ROMpler stuff. I'm sure the synth has enormous programmable potential, I just don't have time to learn to program new machines.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby hfinn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm

No offense Z, but you bought a really expensive synth known for it's deepness and depth and sold it because it didn't live up to it's potential in 40 patches and didn't have the time to learn it?
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Z » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:16 pm

No time to learn new gear these days. That's why I'm still using analog tape, too...
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby urgetoplay » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm

There's a few 3rd party patchs available; some for purchase others as free downloads. As Heath said it excels at atmospheric patches but is also quite the sample mangler.
What sets it apart is the realtime interface. In some ways better than expected, in others a let down. The hardware version is better than its software counterpart, less buggy, better integration and a few extra parameters.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.
urgetoplay

Postby 23 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:04 pm

I have to confess, some of the responses I've seen in this thread I just find absolutely beyond baffling.

hfinn wrote: The Nueron I had only had about 30-40 patches loaded into it and they all sounded like cold, dry, metallic ROMpler stuff. I'm sure the synth has enormous programmable potential, I just don't have time to learn to program new machines.

I'm gonna have to voice another vote of bafflement here.
Why one would go out and buy a synth of such a caliber and price point without any kind of serious willingness to deal with the learning curve that comes with getting to know it baffles me.

Wish I had something to contribute here, but I can't really say I do. Always wanted a chance to have some down time with a Neuron, but alas, the chance to really really deal with one for a time never came my way.
Only reason I posted this was not so much to dig at anyone, as much as this was just one of those threads where you read over it and every time you expect to hear some serious piece of commentary you're left instead with something that just seriously makes you go "Huh?????"

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Postby Z » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Off Topic
Since music is a hobby and have very limited time (20-40 minutes at a time), I do not have time to sit down and learn new gear. I need to be able to fire up a few synths and futz around without worring about trying to create the "perfect sound". Without at least a few patches to impress or inpire me, I'm not sure that I would want to invest the time to learn such a complex synth only to be let down.

Having taken 10 years off from music, I guess I'm just not used to deep programming and menu diving. I prefer the instant gratification of sliders on my analogs & JD-800 and simplicity of analog tape.

Also, since GC only carries synths from the big 3 and the ocassional DSI & Moog, the only way to check out other gear is to buy it, try it and sell it if it doesn't suit.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Yoozer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 pm

23 wrote:Why one would go out and buy a synth of such a caliber and price point without any kind of serious willingness to deal with the learning curve that comes with getting to know it baffles me.

Because the thing had bugs that were never solved due to the company filing bankruptcy?

The plugin version had a memory leak you could drive a truck through, clipped at the drop of a hat, refused to work at anything else than 44.1khz (48 would transpose the samples up and whack 'm out of tune), the resynthesize-your-own-waves software wasn't handed out with the plugin version (pretty ridiculous since it's not worth anything outside of the plugin anyway), and the dongle/controller had a tendency to break its plastic joystick. Had it, sold it, should've asked more for it because it was gone within a day.

Caliber and stuff - really nice, but Hartmann should've sold its IP to SonicCore or something.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby garranimal » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:25 am

Z wrote:I bought Shaggie's a year ago and was not impressed, so I let it go. I understand that the software version with its hardware controller is still available (at a fraction of the price of the hardware synth), so you might look into that.

I have the software version and hope to post some audio demos soon. The standard soundset models appear to me to be derived from romplers. However the re-synthesis engine is a wild animal that goes into alien territory with the slightest touch. It has some amazing spatial and dimensional characteristics that are ahead of its time which lend it very well to sci-fi atmospheric effects and pad sounds. Been using the modelmaker software that came with mine (new from ebay) to derive models from my own samples with results ranging from bizarre and twisted, to mind-bending. So far the only instance I have used Neuron is the opening atmospherics on my track Cerulean Derailleur. I'll try to make an audio demo of some of the programs I made in the near future when I get some time.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby hfinn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:38 am

Honestly, the only time I miss owning mine is when I want to mangle samples. Although you can now do that to some small degree on the Nord Wave, but not like you can on the Neuron. If we keep talking about it I will want one again ;)
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby OriginalJambo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 am

I thought the V-Synth was the king of sample mangling. :shock:
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Next

Return to General Synthesizers