help with my moog satellite

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

help with my moog satellite

Postby burymyteeth » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:31 am

hello all, this is my first post, im excited to be part of this community!

I got a non-functioning moog satellite for pretty cheap, and i was wondering if someone could give some advice as to what could be wrong with it. i have the manual that has a bunch of troubleshooting stuff in the back, but i just don't have enough knowledge to know what the hell they're talking about.

this keyboard will turn on but will not make any noise. well thats not entirely true, if i turn the thing all the way up and turn the amp up quite loud i can hear the sound of the j wires (thats what they're called right, the little wires for each key) making contact with the rail, a little "popping" noise, and thats about it, there is no tone to it. there is nothing visibly disconnected, i cleaned the rail quite thoroughly so its not just dirt connections. i have another satellite that is functioning so i will probably open that up and compare it, but maybe you guys have some suggestions. thanks!
burymyteeth

Advertisement:

Re: help with my moog satellite

Postby burymyteeth » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:24 am

anybody have any ideas? id really appreciate it.
burymyteeth

Postby rhino » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:20 am

kinda hard to do at a distance. there would be 1000 things that could be the problem.
key clicks but no sound makes me think the oscillator is not running. there is a 4-transistor array that could be dead.
better think about taking it to a tech.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby valis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:00 am

Is there a fuse? Make sure it's not blown. It sounds like if it's anything more serious than that you'd probably want to do a little research into electronics/synth repair before you start poking around or you could just take it to a tech.

The problem could be numerous things. If you are comfortable working on your synth it probably wouldn't hurt to replace to electrolytic caps. You'd also want to check to make sure that the power source is outputting the right voltage. The schematics are pretty easy to find. I actually just downloaded them. I have a Satellite that's sitting near my workbench waiting to get looked at but I haven't done too much research into it yet..
valis

Gear: electricity

Return to HELP!