Looking for advice on a solina string ensemble

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Looking for advice on a solina string ensemble

Postby magnus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi there. I've got a Solina String Ensemble that I bought a couple of years ago in pristine condition. The guy said it had seen less than 10hrs use, and had spent most of the past 30 years in the shop, unsold. If he was lying, he knows how to cover his tracks, as it looked brand new - insides clean, service manual in place, complete with original stand. It still does in fact, as I had to leave it boxed up in my parents' house soon after I bought it.

Despite its cosmetic appearance, it has had one flaw all the time I have owned it - the bass controls seem to have no effect. Pushing the cello/contra bass buttons down makes no difference to the sound of the lower keys, nor does the bass volume slider. The rest of the voices sound fine, as does the chorus.

It has just come back into my possession, and I'm thinking of selling it. Before I do so, I'd like to know if anyone could advise me on what to do with it. I could sell it as it is, but I'm sure that the faulty bass would reduce its value. On the other hand, sending it off to repair might cost more than I stand to lose. Plus I have a sneaking suspicion that, as it has been well looked after, the fault might be down to something simple that I could fix myself. Any suggestions? I emailed James Walker, but am still awaiting a reply.

Thanks

Magnus
magnus

Return to HELP!