Korg Trident > Korg Delta

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg Trident > Korg Delta

Postby LucB » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi,

As some of you might know i've been lusting for a Korg Delta for quite some time now: it's rather compact compared to other polysynths, it's easy and simple to use and the sounds are really good, it also has a filter input. Now in my eternal search for a very simple vintage analog rig that will do everything i want i've come accross many synths, but i always stuck to the Korg Delta as my ultimate goal.

But then came the Korg Trident. Although it has a faulty memory, and will most probably require a visit to my technician to ensure all is well for a long time, i got it at a very good price. Now my first reflex was ' i'll just sell it AS IS or repair it then sell it or trade it, all with the final objective of getting myself something like a Korg Delta or Polysix and a good mono-synth'. Now i'm starting to realize that it might be a moo point for me to want a Korg Delta given that i have it's mother, the Trident.

So i thought about dropping this here to get the counsel of VSE's wise men, women and machines.

Besides their difference in size, and fewer possibilities with the Delta, are there any differences between the two (ie.: sounds you could get on a Delta that you couldn't do on a Trident) that are worth mentionning?

Thanks!
LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Trident > Korg Delta

Postby madtheory » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:55 pm

I used a Trident once, it was lovely. I can't remember if it was fully polyphonic, like the Delta. Is it? If it isn't, then clearly it will sound different to the Delta...
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby solderguy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Had a Korg Lambda once which I compared side-by-side with a Trident Mk1 - actually preferred the strings on the Lambda - I think the Trident strings have 8-note polyphony, also the Trident chorus is quite similar to the Solina, which may or may not be to your liking ( Trident strings do sound nice though ). The Trident is a very nice polysynth in most respects, a filter for each voice, whereas the Delta is paraphonic, with just one filter.
solderguy

Postby madtheory » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:15 pm

OK, so Trident has 8 oscilators, Delta is divide down. So they will sound quite different.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.

Postby solderguy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 am

LucB - as previously mentioned, the Trident is a very nice synth - much nicer than the Polysix IMHO.... keep it ( and repair it or get it repaired ) and wait for a Delta or Lambda or other stringer to come along.

If you decide you don't want the Trident, I'm also in Quebec ( hint )
solderguy

Postby LucB » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:51 pm

Salut Solderguy,

Et bien je savais qu'y avait d'autre monde du Québec sur VSE mais d'autres monde DE Québec alors là je suis surpris!

Si tu veux le Trident, fais une offre en argent ou en gear!

A+!

Luc
LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2

Postby solderguy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:23 pm

Salut Luc !!
Regarder votre courier prive pour message !
Cheers, Mike
solderguy

Postby celebutante » Mon May 04, 2009 7:58 pm

I haven't played a Trident, but I own a Delta. I love the Delta but it's not the kind of instrument you want as your main or only synth- it's very limited due to the limited oscillator waveforms (it has four octaves of square waves each with a volume fader) and paraphonic filter and amp implementation. I find the paraphonic thing kinda fun sometimes because you can, for example, hold a chord with your right hand and "play" the rhythm with one finger of you left hand, but the limitation is that percussive poly sounds don't work too well, especially if they have lots of release time.

OTOH, the filter sounds magnificent and very unique, and the bandpass mode is very musical and useful (unlike the bandpass on many other synths). And strangely enough, the Delta makes great "hard" one oscillator bass sounds.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Tom Oberheim SEM prototype • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Chickering seven-foot grand •

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com
http://www.youtube.com/celebutante
celebutante

Postby clusterchord » Thu May 07, 2009 3:03 am

first of all Delta isnt a "polysynth" per se. its built with divide down technology like string machines usually are, and it has only one filter, so-called paraphonic operation (all notes into one filter). otoh, Trident is a full blooded polysynth with synthesis section and two VCOs per voice, totalling at 16 VCOs for its 8-note polyphony. it has korg's own linear vco technology paired with warm/liquid SSM filters and envelopes, again per voice.

however, on top of that, it has capability to divert one of its 8 voices to be used in frequency divide-down setup to have additional string machine. same goes for brass section. so, in effect, you have this synthesizer sandwich which features both divide down and discrete polyphony approaches. pair this with a nice ensemble effect on the string section , and routable flanger, that must be the best gdmn flanger i ever heard, and you got one warm, fat and rather unique machine.

if youre looking for a true poly, but a korg one, go Trident all the way. imo Delta is a lesser machine in all respects. here's a few demos i made a while ago on Trident: http://www.babic.com/SYN/trident-mk1.htm

ditto on Lambdas string section being nicer than Tridents (and Delta's). iirc Lambdas divide down circuit uses 3 vcos that can be detuned. beautiful sound if you need a string machine.

modular: roland system 100, mn/synthtech euro, nord modular g1
mono: minimoog, source, sem, sem, sh2, sh101
poly: obx, obxa, xpander, p5, a6, jp8, jp4, ppg 2, mw, xt, q, vs rack, d550, jd990
other: akai s950, solina, rhodes, svc350, förster
clusterchord

Band: NIMBUS DEI

Postby madtheory » Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 pm

clusterchord wrote:it has capability to divert one of its 8 voices to be used in frequency divide-down setup to have additional string machine. same goes for brass section.

That's pretty cool.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby LucB » Wed May 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks for the well documented and explained argument, i know now that while many have said the Delta to be a stripped-down Trident, the matter of fact is that it's just a completely different machine, with much less features BUT a personality of it's own.

But there's something i guess i forgot to mention: i'm a guitar player first. I play in an atmospheric/prog/post-metal band (i don't know how this kind of description can mean anything, just check us out http://www.myspace.com/mountainsunfold) and we've started adding synth components to our music. We already have a Novation x25 used by our screamer to do mono-synth, noises and basic duo-triophonic harmonies. I mainly used a busted Yamaha SK-20 so far for organs/strings, it's already pretty big and at the extreme limit of what i will tolerate in terms of size for my live use. The following videos proved to me that once the EG repaired, the SK20 will be very good for my needs as part-time synth player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v17zBOwvzNQ&hl=fr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9Mmf9-JBM&hl=fr

Now given that i have a Trident Mk1 that will have costed me a very fair price to buy and get repaired, and that i've got a serious buyer at 2000$ CAN, and that with this money i can buy a Delta that will complement very well the SK20 (i also have a Yamaha CS-5 on the way from electroluver) i feel like the Delta is a much better choice because it is much smaller/lighter and fits my style and needs, and won't have costed a thing since i'll pay it with money created via selling the Trident.

Now i only need to get pulse_divider to sell me his Delta, or just find a Delta elsewhere. For such an underrated synth they are freaking hard to find around these parts!
LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2

Postby philip » Wed May 13, 2009 7:22 pm

OMfreakingGOD!!!!!

That SK20 DEMO-just out of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!\\

thanx Luk, Ill certainly get that machine somewhere
philip

Postby nvbrkr » Thu May 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Well, the SK20 definitely can pull off greater things than what was in those things posted above. That unit is all about combining the different outputs and the different sections in creative ways. I love mine to bits, although it usually indeed takes some work to get nice sounds out of it. In fact, that buzzy / plastic low-register sound heard on those demos is exactly what I personally try to avoid with the SK20 (well, reverb + delay + overdriven preamp works in that regard as a remedy).

These guys are using it also for actual music too, you know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ5RPMiAoyA

It doesn't differ that much from the sounds from this one either (although that one allegedly has 2 VCOs in the synth section):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDK5iERs ... re=related

To original poster: perhaps I didn't quite understand why you feel motivated to buy the Delta, but on some level it almost seems irrational to me (and many others it seems). The Trident is a quite hefty and a sought-after synth, although in that sense I guess if you really can get a decent sum for it, it could be worth selling. However, technically speaking it's really in an entirely different league than any string machine -type of unit. Do you understand the limitations a paraphonic keyboard (like The Delta & SK20) are going to have compared to a proper polysynth? They can be pretty annoying to play due to the single filter design, although like stated above that can be fun sometimes - that is, in the recording setting, not really when playing live. The SK20 is pretty nice in this respect though as it allows you to continue playing notes on the "string" section, even if the synth's filter would have already closed due to earlier notes having been played - but it's far from perfect this way either.

If you need a gigging synth though, I don't see why it couldn't be a VA / sampler as you're already using one too and see no problems with it. Lugging a 70s synth around is never without its own risks. I doubt the Delta would be that much an improvement sonically over the SK20 if it would be functional though (well if the envelope on the synth section is indeed busted, then you're basically missing most everything that synth is capable of). But if you will manage to find a Delta and still prefer it over the Trident, then obviously you have made the right choice in the end. It's still a pretty considerable downgrade in technical terms, really.
nvbrkr

Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Postby LucB » Thu May 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi,

I totally get your point. Matter of fact is i'll probably hate myself from time to time for letting it go but given my limited use of synths, and my need to have the most portable/simple to use, i feel the Delta will give me what i need. Obviously all the features that make the Trident so sought after will be missed and their absence will reflect on the sound i make, but the Trident is just way too big for the little use i'll make of it. I feel like i should keep it but just can't afford to, given that my aims and taste lead me almost systematically to presets + polysynths. That's how i got to keep the SK-20, and that's how i got to feel i wasn't using the Trident for all it was worth, and that i should aim at something smaller, in all possible meanings of the term.

On technical terms i'm loosing a whole lot, it's obvious, but i can't really justify myself on having such a big piece of equipment if i won't be using enough. I already have an amp rig that's taller than me, and i'm 6'1. Add my guitar, my pedalboard, and i already have a lot to lug around. The introduction of synths to my music, where we're already 5 in the band and can't really justify or find someone that would fit as a 6th member entirely dedicated to keys, has come as an extra both in terms of room needed and duties for playing. Therefore it is necessary for me to implement a keyboard rig that's both compact and sonically fit for my band, and the Trident just doesn't help in regards to these objectives. The Delta might fit just as much in terms of sound with my band, but at least it's much smaller.

Again, thank you for taking the time to discuss this with me, it help me think this through before making a move and i appreciate it.

I feel like my music is leading me towards certain synths rather than the other way around, and while i'll probably spend many nights crying my loss, in the end it's a matter of what you want, not what you have.
LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2

Return to General Synthesizers