Yamaha TX16W Problems

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Yamaha TX16W Problems

Postby Diao » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 pm

I just purchased a TX16W in what I thought was pretty good condition, but when I turn it on, it says "LOADING SYSTEM!! please wait" and below that line, "insert disk" and it freezes. I've the Typhoon 2000 OS on a floppy to update it, but no matter what disk I put in the floppy drive, it stays on that same screen. The LED next to the floppy drive flickers if a disk is in it, like its trying to do something, but to no avail.

Any help from the samplers gurus would be much appreciated, because I have no clue what to do here.
Diao

Gear: Yamaha CS6x, Roland Juno-106, Korg Poly800, DBE Unique, TX81Z, TX16W, Roland R-8 MKII, Roland Tr-606, 707, 626, Boss Dr 202, Alesis MMT-8s

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha TX16W Problems

Postby madtheory » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:45 pm

It's one of three things:
1. The floppy drive is dead. This can be replaced easily enough. I replaced mine with the drive from a Commodore Amiga.
2. You haven't correctly copied the Typhoon OS onto the floppy. Read the instructions carefully.
3.The floppy disc is faulty- try another one. This is not a reliable medium. Make sure it's DD, not HD.

This is a great sampler, nice sound and probably the best user interface ever with Typhoon.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Diao » Fri May 01, 2009 3:18 am

It was both the floppy disk size, and the drive itself causing the problem. I found a few 720Kb disks around the house, and loaded Typhoon onto one of those. The first time putting it into the sampler, though, it still sat at the same screen. I had to forcefully shove the disk in to get the drive to grab it and load the data. All is well now though, I've got Typhoon 2000 and I'm ready to rock!

Are there any cool little tips or tricks you have for this bad boy?
Diao

Gear: Yamaha CS6x, Roland Juno-106, Korg Poly800, DBE Unique, TX81Z, TX16W, Roland R-8 MKII, Roland Tr-606, 707, 626, Boss Dr 202, Alesis MMT-8s

Postby madtheory » Fri May 01, 2009 5:54 pm

That's exactly the problem I had with the drive in mine until I replaced it. I've an article here, which has a link to the sample library- pretty much everything Yamaha released for it. Contains some tips also:
http://www.madtheory.com/TX16W.html
Last edited by madtheory on Sat May 02, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.

Postby wilsontherocker » Sat May 02, 2009 4:20 am

Diao wrote:Are there any cool little tips or tricks you have for this bad boy?

I haven't used my TX16W for a while, so I'm a little rusty. With that said though, you can get really interesting granular-type sounds using Typhoon's time stretching. Using that, I was able to turn a kick drum sample into a fairly convincing Rhodes.

Also, take advantage of Typhoon's midi control of menu functions. With that I was able to turn my drum pads into up, down, left, right, and enter and, most helpful of all, I used a fader for quick scrolling.

I ended up finding bugs in the OS when using an LFO and a few other nit-picky things which put me off of the sampler, but there's definitely a lot of flexibility in the Typhoon OS.
wilsontherocker

Postby madtheory » Sat May 02, 2009 8:04 am

The LFO problem is not with the Typhoon OS, it's with the TX16W hardware. You get glitches with certain combinations of sample rate and pitch. It happens with the Yamaha OS also.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby wilsontherocker » Mon May 04, 2009 12:53 am

madtheory wrote:The LFO problem is not with the Typhoon OS, it's with the TX16W hardware. You get glitches with certain combinations of sample rate and pitch. It happens with the Yamaha OS also.

Ahh, interesting! Thanks for the heads up.
wilsontherocker

Postby madtheory » Mon May 04, 2009 5:44 pm

You're welcome. I guess it's a form of destructive interference, almost like aliasing in a way.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby colmon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:30 pm

what's the going rate for one of these now? ie. what should i offer an ebayer who has unsuccessfully tried to auction it at a rather high starting bid?

after weeks of research into purchasing my first hardware sampler, the tx16w seems like a very interesting prospect once coupled with the typhoon os. something about these weird late 80s/early 90s yamaha instruments that really appeals to me
colmon

Postby colmon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:34 pm

also, are there any reliability issues i need to take into account? changing a broken disk drive won't be an issue, is there anything else that goes wrong with these things? i get the impression yamaha stuff is built to last...
colmon

Postby colmon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

anyone have any advice re: what to offer for one of these? i guess this is a buyers guide query..
colmon

Postby madtheory » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:15 am

It's actually a very good sampler. I would say between €50 to €100 depending on the amount of memory and the brightness of the display, and condition of disk drive. As you know drive is easy to fix. I assume the display is an EL foil, these can be purchased and fitted easily also. More than the base 1.5 Meg memory is rare, and IMO worth paying for, so maybe €150 to €200 for a 6 Meg. Bear in mind that an ESI32 with all the trimmings would go for something like €200, and it's a much better sampler. But the TX has very nice transposing and does that crunchy low sample rate aliasing effect much better than the ESI.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby noisecomm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:46 am

I just bought two of these & one isn't loading the OS. :dontknow: The Prophet discs are mean as hell!
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain
noisecomm

Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Postby madtheory » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:03 am

Take the memory from the one with the broken disc drive and put it in the other one. Are you using Typhoon 2000 OS? Yamaha OS is gank.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby noisecomm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 pm

6mb tx16w here I come.

Im still on the Yamaha OS :help: , my band mate is going to help me with Typhoon 2000. I was pretty stoked to pick them up yesterday.
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain
noisecomm

Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Next

Return to Samplers