d-50 midi communication error

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

d-50 midi communication error

Postby italicdrones » Mon May 11, 2009 10:23 pm

I was trying to send some fresh patches to my d50 today. As soon as I would turn on a sysex app it would say midi communication error. I tinkered with everything... changing midi channels, exclusive on and off, tried different protocols, etc etc. It would say "waiting" but as soon as I opened up the sysex app it gave me the error. I tried sysex d50, and midi ox. Its looking like its a problem with the d50, which worries me. :|

Does anyone have a solution to this? My patches are wiped and I dont feel like buying a damn card..
italicdrones

Advertisement:

Re: d-50 midi communication error

Postby scottrod » Mon May 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Don't have a D-50, but do have the D-550 module.

There's handshaking mode and one-way mode. If you're using MidiOx (which is how I transfer patches), it's one-way mode.

The procedure is different for the two different methods. In one-way mode, you have to hold the hold the Data Transfer button when you hit the Enter button to transfer the data. Not so in handshaking mode. If you don't do it right, you DO get the "MIDI COMMUNICATION ERROR" message, so it sounds suspicious.

Not sure about the buttons on the D-50, but the above may apply in some way.
scottrod
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby italicdrones » Tue May 12, 2009 3:19 am

didnt work unfortunately :cry:
italicdrones

Postby Altitude » Tue May 12, 2009 11:24 am

sounds like a transmit speed issue. Try something like Bome's sendsx, it will go painfully slow but will get everything
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Yekuku » Tue May 12, 2009 12:48 pm

Are u using both midi in & out cables for this ? if not , just try it.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby Pro5 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Altitude wrote:sounds like a transmit speed issue. Try something like Bome's sendsx, it will go painfully slow but will get everything

I posted that he should check he was sending the data at '1987 speeds' ;) earlier today, but deleted it when I re-read that it was giving the error the SECOND he turned on his sysex app... now unless it's trying to dump data straight away (automatically) then I shouldn't be that? I know some apps send SYSEX as they are run (i.e the 'clever' scrolling messages on the SYnth display) and maybe it could be that but - is he even getting to initiating an actual DUMP yet?

If it only occurs on dump attempts then yes, slow the transfer speed right down.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby italicdrones » Tue May 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Pro5 wrote:
Altitude wrote:sounds like a transmit speed issue. Try something like Bome's sendsx, it will go painfully slow but will get everything

"... now unless it's trying to dump data straight away (automatically) then I shouldn't be that? I know some apps send SYSEX as they are run (i.e the 'clever' scrolling messages on the SYnth display) and maybe it could be that but - is he even getting to initiating an actual DUMP yet?

Yeah, Sysex d50 sends one of those "clever scrolling messages" which probably explains the error as soon as i would open the program. Opening up Bomes there is no problem, but still the error as soon as I hit send. It just seems to not want to receive anything!

edit: PS I slowed down the sending delay to 1000ms, it still fucked up when it was going uber slow.

Just tried a midi dump, that didn't work either! I think im going to sell this thing.
italicdrones

Postby italicdrones » Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm

OK! Emailed the guy that I bought it from and he helped me in getting it to work. Turns out it was a key combination..

"You will need to hold down the data transfer button while hitting the bulk dump or bulk load and enter. Hold the data transfer button down while pressing the other buttons down or else it wont work. Most D-50 require this and some don't."

There it is for people who run into this in the future.
italicdrones

Postby Pro5 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:57 am

I don't know why but I kind of assumed you'd tried that already - put it in 'ready' mode then tried to send. It's in the manual (do you have a copy?). I guess it shows we shouldn't overlook the fundamentals when trying to help :mrgreen:

Page 62/63 of the D-50 Manual "while HOLDING DOWN the Data Transfer button, press the Bulk Load..." etc

The handshake mode (2 cables) will attempt to confirm the D-50 is 'waiting', 1 cable mode will just send (even if not in receive mode).
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Return to HELP!