Octave Kitten

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Octave Kitten

Postby AstroDan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Why is this synth fetching more than The Cat? Is Jack White's new band using this or something?

The world is fucking with me because I have the lesser/greater synth.
Too futurist to live.
AstroDan

Advertisement:

Re: Octave Kitten

Postby OriginalJambo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Who knows man. You don't see CATs for sale that often so maybe people are trying to push up the prices of the Kitten to compensate? I mean if you're looking for a 1 VCO monosynth I'm sure you could do a lot worse, but the CAT is in a whole different league IMO.

On that note I've had quite a few comments about my CAT video this week on YouTube. Wonder if it's recently been posted somewhere that receives a decent amount of traffic?
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby soundsubs » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:16 pm

'snot.
you have the more-ferior machine.

The Kitten may be more rare, but sonically less diverse than The Cat.
I would love to see some real data on the revs of the Cat (from the first version all the way to the SRM), online info seems inaccurate and mangled.

man i wish mine wasnt in the shop right now getting fixed.
doepfer modular, moog rme, cwejman s1 mk2, virus TI Polar, nord modular+G2, kurzweil K2500xs + RS, e-mu proteus 2000, alesis andromeda, dave smith prophet 08 rack, arp avatar, octave cat, emax, speck xtramix
soundsubs

Postby Neonlights84 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Yea chin up sir. The Cat is simply outstanding. I wish i had one!
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.
Neonlights84

Band: New Veaux

Postby plikestechno » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 pm

AstroDan wrote:Why is this synth fetching more than The Cat? Is Jack White's new band using this or something?

The world is fucking with me because I have the lesser/greater synth.

I think whoever sold that caught lightning in a bottle. Every other one I've seen goes for $5-$700 US.

F the Kitten. I love my SRM and while I buy and sell other sytnhs, it will be pried from my cold dead hands.

And Jambo, great to see much love for those videos they are awesome.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby soundsubs » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:56 pm

<<<<<<<<Would love to get his filthy hands on some filthy mods to the filter like in that one YouTube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3GIxYpiutk

"I hear your sub-octave bid, and I sub-sub octave it!"
doepfer modular, moog rme, cwejman s1 mk2, virus TI Polar, nord modular+G2, kurzweil K2500xs + RS, e-mu proteus 2000, alesis andromeda, dave smith prophet 08 rack, arp avatar, octave cat, emax, speck xtramix
soundsubs

Postby AstroDan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Oh, I'm not eaten up by it - but I appreciate the words of encouragement. :)

I just saw one go for over $1600 and was curious if there was a valid reason. I really don't believe I've seen a single OSC synth go for that much ever. I thought maybe it was featured on The Hills or something.
Too futurist to live.
AstroDan

Postby JSRockit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm

I'd say the kitten is rarer synth no?
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby plikestechno » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 am

soundsubs wrote:<<<<<<<<Would love to get his filthy hands on some filthy mods to the filter like in that one YouTube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3GIxYpiutk

"I hear your sub-octave bid, and I sub-sub octave it!"

I think I am finally going to take mine in. I found a reliable tech in town I can trust and I'm going to have him calibrate it and see if that fixes the VCO1 sound output issue and to have more of a look of it doesn't. I'm also going to ask if he's up for doing some mods outlined in the manual and originally offered by CAT. Nothing too intense or hard for him like modularizing it but even just throwing a HP/LP switch on the filter and a white/pink noise switch on would be great.

And Jambo maybe this is the link to your vids that's causing a ruckus?

http://www.synthfind.com/2009/03/octave ... ounds.html
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 am

Damn... I shouldn't be reading any of this... I was just about the put the ol' Cat on the block (again!!!)... I somehow convinced myself that a FR XS would pretty much do everything the Cat does, and then some. But I haven't actually tried the XS yet, so I guess I can't really make that judgement yet! I know it certainly won't create that pure late-70s raw sound, but maybe that's ok... :?:

(and back OT, paying more for a Kitten than a Cat is plain ridiculous)
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:15 am

I'm in the middle of "sorta" fixing a Cat... Let me tell you what; the Cat can produce bass tones that rival the MiniMoog in that one-of-a-kind smooth, textured way. Trust me, we compared. Too bad it's missing VCO2 at the moment.. does that technically make it a Kitten? :)

No but seriously, the Kitten should not be selling for more than the Cat.. that's like seeing an ARP Axxe selling for more than an Odyssey.
http://officialmikethompson.blogspot.com
gear: oberheim ob-8 | moog micromoog | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha dx-7 mk I | arp omni-2 | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m-100
WhinyLittleRunt

Gear: oberheim ob-8 | moog micromoog | moog opus-3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha dx-7 mkI | arp omni-2 | 1982 rhodes mkII stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m-100

Postby Murderhausen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 am

I have a Kitten and it sounds amazing. I would definitely trade it for a Cat, however, as the Kitten's flexibility has only caused lust in me for Octave's two oscillator offering.

It needs repair right now, so all of the knobs have been removed to grant access to its innards. I needed to create a particular texture, so used the knobless Kitten; it reminded me of an MS2000.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...
Murderhausen

Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Postby plikestechno » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:07 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:Let me tell you what; the Cat can produce bass tones that rival the MiniMoog in that one-of-a-kind smooth, textured way.

Too bad it's missing VCO2 at the moment.. does that technically make it a Kitten? :)

I have an SRM. The bass tones I think are why I'm going to keep this forever. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. It can do so much. So smooth, so nice. It's noise is also amazing. Better than any noise I've heard on any other synth.

I hear ya about missing a VCO too. So maybe this is a common problem? I mean I can use it to modulate VCO2 and the filter all the controls work but I just can't get the oscillator solo to output sound or mix it with VCO2. I'm finally taking it to the shop next week. To have a calibration first and if that doesn't solve it, I'll have him look further into getting sound out of it. I'm also going to see if he'd be up for modding the filter a bit. Adding 12/24 db, Lo/Hi switches and maybe a pink/white noise switch.

See one. Grab one. One day the prices will go flying up and leave people in the dust.
plikestechno

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:34 am

Yeah, I can tell you it won't be a calibration problem. The way our tech was scratching his head over it wasn't too reassuring! And he is an expert! I think it's just a very complicated circuit I guess...
http://officialmikethompson.blogspot.com
gear: oberheim ob-8 | moog micromoog | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha dx-7 mk I | arp omni-2 | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m-100
WhinyLittleRunt

Gear: oberheim ob-8 | moog micromoog | moog opus-3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha dx-7 mkI | arp omni-2 | 1982 rhodes mkII stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m-100

Postby plikestechno » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:11 am

Ugh...not terribly reassuring...

And obviously wanted to mention that I'm reffering to my VCO1 being faulty in the previous post.
plikestechno

Next

Return to General Synthesizers