How and why does the Quasimidi Sirius sound so good?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: How and why does the Quasimidi Sirius sound so good?

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 am

stikygum wrote:A lot of companies mislead these days saying they have analog filters on their digital synths. The should be forced to say analog modeled filters.

Ummm, can you give at least one, preferably 'a lot' of examples of this please?
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Advertisement:

Postby Yoozer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Perhaps it's using the nomenclature VCO and VCF - like on the AN1x.

The Virus A/B/C had "Advanced Simulated Analog Synthesizer", the Nord had "Virtual Analog". The JP used "OSC" and "FILTER" on the labels; so did the Novation Nova. The MS2000 used "OSCILLATOR" and says "ANALOG MODELING" on the front.

Have I missed some VAs? :)
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Are you saying that's evidence of saying they're analogue?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Joey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Yoozer wrote:Perhaps it's using the nomenclature VCO and VCF - like on the AN1x.

The Virus A/B/C had "Advanced Simulated Analog Synthesizer", the Nord had "Virtual Analog". The JP used "OSC" and "FILTER" on the labels; so did the Novation Nova. The MS2000 used "OSCILLATOR" and says "ANALOG MODELING" on the front.

Have I missed some VAs? :)

I don't see anything misleading there.... SIMULATED analog, VIRTUAL analog, analog MODELING

plus whether they are digital or analog, they are still oscs and filters
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby ZeOGajoDasCenas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:59 pm

hey there people!
I bought my sirius some months ago now and i kept hearing a buzz when i ran it trhough my quad capture and directly to my beats too, i'm going nuts here... i know it can sound amazing but the quality isnt getting there... just buzz and distortion...(bad type) so i was wondering if any of you could help me... cause i love the multi synth options and i think it can sound amazing but its just not doing it so far...
thanks in advance
ZeOGajoDasCenas

Postby vicd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 pm

ZeOGajoDasCenas wrote:hey there people!
I bought my sirius some months ago now and i kept hearing a buzz when i ran it trhough my quad capture and directly to my beats too, i'm going nuts here... i know it can sound amazing but the quality isnt getting there... just buzz and distortion...(bad type) so i was wondering if any of you could help me... cause i love the multi synth options and i think it can sound amazing but its just not doing it so far...
thanks in advance

Either a gain mismatch or a ground loop...
You might also try the JayB's sysx for the Sirius:
JayB wrote:The package includes another MIDI-file containing one SysEx event to modify the Sirius's system settings inluding both FX parts and the overblast parameters. The overblast is nothing but a 2-band shelving EQ and this command will set them to a more HiFi position. Put this to the start of every production arrangement because these settings aren't saved when you turn off the unit. Also don't touch the overblast knob after you sent the SysEx command, otherwise the overblast settings will be reset to default values.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!
vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Postby Zamise » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Got one too finally a few months ago.

The reason I know now it is so "beefy" is simply because of the detune feature/knob between the two elemental tones. On my rompler of choice (RS7000) I can't control amount of a detuned voice, the elements/waveforms are pre-detuned and amount is controlled together, so I have to emulate that using a second track/voice and fine detuning it against the other voice. I'm basically wasting a track to do it, but doable, it is extremely awesome to have a control specific for simply fine detuning between the twoe elements on one voice. I'll also agree that it is kind of limited in voice editing compared to most VAs, but most of the necessities and some kick ass stuff is still there.

As for buzzing and humming, the power jack plug is shittily mounted, I believe if I remember right after redoing mine after previous owner hard wired it, has a specific wire going to the case from it that grounds it, I was even getting a slight shock off the case before I figured that out. Check inside I guess to make sure yours didn't get pulled off, could be causing it.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby silikon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:06 pm

ZeOGajoDasCenas wrote:hey there people!
thanks in advance

This whole question should probably be surgically removed and planted in the 'help' section; that being said - having owned one many years ago, I recall having a similar problem and it being tied to the power supply not supplying correct voltages (in my case it was extremely low voltages); if you have a multimeter and the wherewithal to understand what you're looking for, I would start there. You should see very close to 10.5 volts, DC at the connection that attaches to the Sirius.

Otherwise, you could begin with a factory reset, which I'm not confident will solve the problem. It could be more than a single problem causing this. Power off, press and hold the write button, power on. It will ask if you would like to initialise, select yes. Be fully aware this will initialise the synth to factory defaults. If you have patches stored that you've not dumped, fair warning.

If neither one of those easier things solve the problem, you'll want to source a repair center to have it looked at.

Also go here for a manual if you don't have one (and potential support, but I've no idea if anyone is still listening out there): Quasimidi Support Site
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers