Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

Postby BoxPhenom » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 pm

I've had many emails from frustrated eBay shoppers telling me there's no way someone will buy my item at this price, only to sell it a few days later.

Most people look for bargains, but you only need one buyer who's willing to pay the price.
BoxPhenom

Advertisement:

Postby bleurgh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:23 am

But why would anyone bother to send an email complaining about the price? Why would someone be so outraged as to go to the trouble of doing that? Peoples need to chill the fuck out! Though maybe they think they'll get the seller to sell it to them at half the price... Honestly, I've thought about doing it, but it's their item to sell, so why should I give a shit if they can't sell it? Though I have written to ebayers who have listed something highly desirable in a lesser viewed catagory to suggest they might get a higher price for it f they stick it under "electronic instruments" (or whatever ebay has decided to call the catagory for synths and drum machines at any particular time).

I'm not the kind of person who's quick to anger though. I just have a laugh at these listings.
bleurgh

Postby Rangoon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:18 am

I don't think any of the respondents to this thread quite "gets it", except maybe nadafarms....
Rangoon

Postby plikestechno » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:03 am

I think a lot of people have a point here. Sometimes I roll my eyes at what BoxPhenom or Nadafarms or onkloud9 or the tonetweakers guys are looking for on Ebay but I would never message anybody while they had an item listed to bitch about the price. It's just dumb.

And you know what? They sell them. In all four cases they tell you exactly what you are getting. Be it mint, or if it has some issues.

I don't mess around because when I sell something it's usually because I have put myself in a hole with something else that I've bought and need the cash fast. I just put it at the going rate, add free shipping to NA, and it goes fast.

The only ones I find funny are once sold that were supposedly used by celebrities. I don't care if Jesus owned it, I care if it's a good deal and that it works. And I'm not going to pay 3-10 times the going rate for it. Thankfully the sports memorabilia type stupidity hasn't worked on musicians yet. We just want to play the damn thing.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:04 am

Not a BIN or starting bid but I really can't believe how much people seem to be prepared to pay for this Boss DR-55 at eBay Aus, prices are crazy enough for the good stuff but this just leaves me gobsmacked.

I actually saw one of these locally in a secondhand shop this year for $80 Aud and came back later to find it sold and I thought that was a fairly steep price. These things are frankly toys and are NOT a miniture 808 just 'cause it looks like one, it doesn't even have the original knob FFS. Sheesh :?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ROLAND-BOSS-DR55-Analog-Drum-Machine_W0QQitemZ110418609768QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item19b5764668&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby bleurgh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 am

I really regret posting this thread now! The last few times I've logged on I've avoided looking at it, because it makes me feel very small and foolish!

Consider the lesson learned! :oops:
bleurgh

Postby supermel74 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:22 pm

How about vsers with ridiculous asking prices? I really think the rule about not criticizing prices should be lifted, especially when the seller claims "GREAT DEAL" when in reality it's twice the market price.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby Pro5 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:32 pm

supermel74 wrote:How about vsers with ridiculous asking prices? I really think the rule about not criticizing prices should be lifted, especially when the seller claims "GREAT DEAL" when in reality it's twice the market price.

Prices aside for a moment, what really makes me 'roll my eyes' is when I see an item listed as 'RARE' and there are 10 listed at any one time.

Another thing I do NOT like in ebay ads is a 'sales pitch'. Just list the item, give me the facts about it's condition, but do not try and patronise me with 'used car salesman' style banter. I usually don't look at ads like those again.

Oh and one more thing ;) the 'no reserve so grab yourself a bargain!' - NEVER USE THE WORD 'BARGAIN' unless you have it at a GOOD BIN PRICE. An Auction style sale is never a bargain until we see the final price, so why people assume their bidders are going to believe the item will end for £5 instead of £300 I never know.. most ads that say "GRAB A BARGAIN" usually end up at least 20% over priced at auction end... again sales talk.. and yes I just made that statistic up of course. :)

good day to you all and happy bidding :)
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby tallowwaters » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:25 pm

supermel74 wrote:How about vsers with ridiculous asking prices? I really think the rule about not criticizing prices should be lifted, especially when the seller claims "GREAT DEAL" when in reality it's twice the market price.

/mod hat off

Why in living fuck would you care? People asking too high a price (especially on here) don't sell shit. Their ad floats to the bottom and dies, unless some jumped up tit bumps it repeatedly to bitch about the price, which in turn pushes the threads with reasonable prices further down.

Are half you goons royalty or something? Were you shat into this world with some great right to things being a price you think is reasonable? Especially something that is for all intents and purposes, a toy. Fuck's sake, Marketing 101 grinds these overpriced morons up in no time.

6 months ago someone built a new stucco building up the road from me. Went through a ton of trouble to paint a gorgeous mural on the side, the whole 9 yards. Turned out it was a fucking 'designer lamp' store. No shit, in a town that has high unemployment and is basically the butt of any 'dumb bumpkin/hillbilly/redneck' joke, we could now decorate our hearths and homes with 1,200 dollar lamps.

You know how many times I had to walk in that fucking store and declare justice in the name of all cheapo import stores that sold the same fucking lamps for 15 bucks plus a complimentary packet of Carnival cigarettes? None. Not fucking once. That store fucking tanked in 3 months and is now a Mexican restaurant.

The moral of the story? Shut the fuck up, yeh fucking pissants.

/mod hat on
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby wrekkstylz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:03 pm

I once saw someone selling a JX-8P for $700 U.S. and that's just for the synth, not with the PG-8000 or anything fancy. I emailed the seller and told him to die! He didn't take my advice but it still felt pretty good to do that.

Another thing I'm tired of is people selling the WAV cd. Sometimes you'll see a listing what your looking for but then WAV sample cd next to it or magnets, or t-shirts:

I think worse than that though is the people that just print out a manual then try to sell it like this asshole:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-AX-80-SYNTHESI ... .m20.l1116

LOL
wrekkstylz

Postby D-Collector » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm

wrekkstylz wrote:I once saw someone selling a JX-8P for $700 U.S. and that's just for the synth, not with the PG-8000 or anything fancy. I emailed the seller and told him to die! He didn't take my advice but it still felt pretty good to do that.

Another thing I'm tired of is people selling the WAV cd. Sometimes you'll see a listing what your looking for but then WAV sample cd next to it or magnets, or t-shirts:

I think worse than that though is the people that just print out a manual then try to sell it like this asshole:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-AX-80-SYNTHESI ... .m20.l1116

LOL

I have seen a lot of JX-8Ps go for around 700$ (even 1200$) in Norway, it is not that unusual. It depends on the country really. The Programmers from 300$ to 500$. But there is a point in that you can't tell people what you think is the suitable price. The value of an object is what people are willing to pay for it. And if they really want it, they will buy it provided they have the money. Of course I too get upset sometimes, but only if they list what is basicly a toy as "rare" or "have cult status" and charge a huge amount of money. But I don't email them to cry, I look around instead and often come across good deals. Either the expensive items get sold, or their listing times out. It is a tight economy and people try to make money in every way possible. If can make a lot of money on something I own then why not? If a person have the cash and is keen to buy whatever the cost? Personally I have sold many items, some I have made a nice amount of money from, some I have lost. But I always try to be as honest as possible about things.

And I agree with you on Wav CDs, manuals, magnets, etc. That is annoying when it is in wrong categories.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby braincandy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:57 pm

wrekkstylz wrote:I once saw someone selling a JX-8P for $700 U.S. and that's just for the synth, not with the PG-8000 or anything fancy. I emailed the seller and told him to die! He didn't take my advice but it still felt pretty good to do that.

You told him to "die"? Seriously? Your overreaction is as bad as his asking price. How do you know that the person selling it even knows anything about the used synth market and the going rates?

I don't get all the anger and outrage over prices. If you don't like it, don't buy it and look elsewhere. I understand that it's frustrating when you believe that people asking ridiculous prices are driving up the prices in the market, but it's their right as a seller to ask whatever the hell they want and let the market decide.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby kaeth » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:35 am

Yamaha DX-5 for $1895 BIN.

An extra octave and twice the polyphony of the DX7-II, but twice the weight, no performances, and nearly 6 times the price.
kaeth

Postby computer__controlled » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Though seriously , i do agree with mod on this , who really gives a fuk. the reality is everything is getting more an more expensive.....

i mean fuck , just yesterday i shelled out 440 au just to get another tr 707 , but thats how it is ....
unfortunate yes , worth getting all worked up about .... no ..

Oh before i forget....
anyone wanna buy a "Rare" "Vintage" Roland EM 101 going at a "Bargain" Price..
im only asking $440 AU !! buy it now $500 with free shipping !!
computer__controlled

Postby BoxPhenom » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 pm

I think some of the posts here are pathetic, people just crying because someone else won't let them have a synth for cheap.
Maybe you should look away from eBay, which is not the only source for music gear. Look at your locals ads, wait for a grandma selling a Juno 106 for 100$, then go give her 450$ because you are so grand and it's the actual current value.
BoxPhenom

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide