Prophet 600 or Kawai sx240

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Prophet 600 or Kawai sx240

Postby computron » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:15 am

One is 6 voice vco the other 8 voice dco both ealry midi monsters.

Im currious to know what others think I was going for a Prophet 600 till I got my sx240 instead and Im very pleased with it.

Im wondering how they would pair up
Living the Electro Life
computron

Band: Computron

Advertisement:

Re: Prophet 600 or Kawai sx240

Postby bleurgh » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:23 pm

I dare say you're not getting any replies because the SX-240 is quite rare. I personally haven't had experience with the SX-240 either, but when I was on the dole years ago, I used to go down to this vintage synth shop in Melbourne every now and then to have a play on a Prophet 600 that they couldn't shift because it was (at the time) way over-priced. It was a nice sounding machine that was good fun to play. It definitely seemed to have it's own personality.
bleurgh

Postby computron » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:51 pm

Yea lots of looks but not many replys.thanks for yours.What I guess Im wondering is about the the sounds of the 600 vs the 240. The 240 has super nice warm strings and pads.I wonder where the prophet falls in that class of sounds strings and pads ?The sx240 can have a huge bass sound in mono mode with all 24 osc stacked on one bass voice.But I bet the 600 could compete with its bass it has unision witch the 240 does not.I love unision and the 600 has a arp with only is possible on the 240 by programing the seq as arp like. I bet some very nice sounds indeed can come from the prophet 600
on the 240 here is how I will class it sounds

strings-Awsome phat full and alive

pads-Nice and full elvolvng

brass-just ok

Bass- nice but not the best I have heard

Leads -very good

bells -awsome

sfx- pretty good

I take it the 600 with its arp and unision make for some good fx and bass sounds?
I was this close to geting the 600 till a 240 came my way and now im kinda of wondering what I missed getting the sx240? I do like the sx240 so it was a good buy.It is very distinct a sound and the filiter is very very very nice.I like the lfo can modulate anything DCO VCF or VCA with speed and delay switchable waveforms and reverse.How is the lfo and filiter on the 600? I want to know about the arp and the unision mode as well.even if someone does have experenice with both I would like to hear from some prophet owners about the sounds.I make vocorder electro bass
and something keeps making me think the prophet 600 would be right up there for usable sounds.
Living the Electro Life
computron

Postby bleurgh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:00 am

Can't really remember what it was like for pads, but with two VCOs per voice, it surely couldn't be too bad. What I remember most was the poly mod section, which produced some really excellent sound effects. I'm also a really big fan of arpeggiators and I remember that the combination of the arpeggiator and the poly mod section produced some really off the wall stuff.

Although it could do some impressively thick bass, the envelopes aren't quite fast enough to give a good, punchy bass. But then in my opinion, a fast attack time isn't the be all and end all of good bass lines - I suppose it depends on the feel you're going for at any particular moment in time.
bleurgh

Postby Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:56 am

The biggest difference will be the fact that the Kawai uses DCOs and the P600, VCOs. There is just a difference in sound when you have two VC oscillators in tune/unison, but still phasing against each other versus steady, totally in tune, perfect DCOs...

I have heard a lot of good things about the Kawai, so based on the sounds you are trying to get, it doesn't seem like you would lose out either way... and in some ways, the kawai may be better. but just realize that they will have that very basic difference in sound that may or may not be what you want-personally I prefer the sound of VCOs, but the p600 does not do all sounds well. brass, strings and sfx are probably its strength (it lacks some bottom end, but can still do good snappy basses). I would try the p600 before you ditch the kawai.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby bleurgh » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 am

Sir Ruff wrote:The biggest difference will be the fact that the Kawai uses DCOs and the P600, VCOs. There is just a difference in sound when you have two VC oscillators in tune/unison, but still phasing against each other versus steady, totally in tune, perfect DCOs...

Agreed. Not to say that DCO machines can't do good pads, but the phasing of VCOs adds a little something extra to the sound.
bleurgh

Postby computron » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:49 am

Sir Ruff wrote: brass, strings and sfx are probably its strength (it lacks some bottom end, but can still do good snappy basses). I would try the p600 before you ditch the kawai.

Thanks thats more along the lines of what I was wondering about the 600.I thought it would have a larger bottom end to the sx240.And super basses and it just looks so dam cool with all thoses knobs .I got no plans to ditch my s240 anytime soon. For strings and pads and bottom end bass it serves its purpose well.I also use it as a analog carrier source for vocoder and it sounds sweet.I like both vco and dco sounds so its good to know the strengeths you think on the prophet are close to what I say the strengeths are to the sx240,I had my sx about 2 years now and evertime I turn it on I have fun programing it. 9 times out of 10 find come up with useable patchs and thats what counts.I can get the coolest aratri 2600 like sounds out of it when I want sfx .I didnt get it because it was rare or the oddball out of the dco's of that era I got it for strings and pads and for that it has done its job great.Im feeling I didnt miss anything that great on the 600 that one of my other synths cant do.But like all synth junkies im allways looking for the next board to add with my others.Thank you both your replys.
Living the Electro Life
computron

Postby SWAN » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:31 pm

I have a P600 and it has that great warm prophet sound. However it really is limited by its slow and frankly unmusical digital envelopes. Also the modulation is limited. EG only PWM or FM both Osc at same time. Slow LFO. Only slow basic pads Im afraid. Its Unison is ok but again marred by slow envelopes which do not hold together the sound that tight. Nice but quite mean sounding nasty filter. Not a sweet resonance or filter. It is quite fun but ultimately limited and cheap in build and resources.
SWAN

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:27 pm

I've never had the sx240, but I did have the sx210 and I was quite surprised at the very nice sounds you could get out of the thing. It is in my list of "surprisingly good sounding DCO synths."
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby Electroluver » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:15 am

Having never played a Prophet 600, I can't say whether it's good or not. However, the Kawai SX240 is awesome. I don't think I've ever played a synth that I liked as much as the SX240...I really miss it.
Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Return to Synth Shootouts