Yamaha cs60 - what do people think

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Yamaha cs60 - what do people think

Postby synthlab » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 pm

love to know peoples thoughts on the cs60 and cs50 , i know the cs80 is hyped beyond all measure ( for good reason ) but i wonder how the lower classes in the cs range fair .I have read the cs60 can pretty much do much of the tonal character of the cs80 accept the stacked voices and that the cs50 also but it lacks the polyphony for nice chordal stuff.I guess everyone would like a cs80 ? I tried the cs80 arturia emulation and it just left me cold which surprised me as i was expecting to be able to get a bit of the cs magic ? maybe they are not so magik ?
synthlab

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha cs60 - what do people think

Postby CS_TBL » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 pm

You were disappointed by the factory presets? Or did you actually try to make your own sounds?

Factory presets are bad by definition. :P
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby pflosi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:47 pm

lot of the cs 80 magic comes from polyphonic aftertouch...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby synthlab » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 pm

i'm not sure , i think it was the tone . i loved the arturia arp 2600 presets but when i tried a real arp 2600 it was night and day , the arturia cs80 didnt even make me want the hardware one though which most softsynths do and i found that a bit weird/Not sure , i am sure it ahs its applications and is good for stuff but i was left wondering.Is the cs range really all about the cs80's poly aftertouch , i heard if you play piano or keys properly it can be amazing and expressive but i was more interested in the cs tone and character alongside rolands and korg and all the other stuff .From the few youtube videos i have seen of the cs 50 / 60 and 80 it seems it has a tone and sound unlike any other synth without even considering the aftertouch , that tone when i tried the cs80 was not there , i didnt get 1% of inspiration and was left thinking ' is that a bad emulation ? ' as i am sure the real thing must be way better.Not knocking arturia and its why i posted as i was seeing if anyone else here felt the same or if any cs50 and 60 users would appear and say the real thing is not emulated at all /Factory presets i agree are terrible most times.

CS_TBL wrote:You were disappointed by the factory presets? Or did you actually try to make your own sounds?

Factory presets are bad by definition. :P
synthlab

Postby pflosi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 pm

sure it's not ONLY bout the aftertouch ;)
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby JJQ » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 pm

the Cs-80 is realy the king of the hill, but the CS-50/60 isnt far behind at all. The main drawback of the cs-50(compaired to the 60) is the lack of ribboncontroller. But the ringmod, filters and pwm are the same in all of them.

Ive played the CS-80 several times and shurely Id prefer to have one but the price diferens is over the top. You can have a CS-50 and (maybe)VCS-3 for the same price as a Cs-80.
Gear: Minimoog, Roland TB-303, TR-606, TR-808, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, Yamaha CS-50, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/COTK
JJQ

Postby hfinn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 am

To think you can judge a CS-80 on the presets and sonic qualities of the arturia is well, not a good thought. The CS-80 is incredible sounding, and much of the tonal quality and charm of the 80 is just what you mentioned, the stacking of layers that you can do. That being said, the 50 and 60 are incredible synths. They sound great and are quite unique in their own right. The ring modulator is classic.

For what it's worth, I have an entire album (35 minutes) of CS-80 music here:

Bartesho

It is entirely done as one track, live. Only reverb was added.
Last edited by hfinn on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:51 am

Of all analog polysynths I've had, I still have a CS-50. It is absolutely amazing sounding and rare in its functionality. I would suggest it to anyone who was looking for a great analog polysynth. If you need it to sound like a CS-80, you can multitrack it.

That and everything that Heath said is true.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby hfinn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:57 am

LIke Automatic Gainsay also said, of all the synths I've had my CS-(80) is one of the 5 I still have left.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby pflosi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:26 am

hfinn wrote:For what it's worth, I have an entire album (35 minutes) of CS-80 music here:

Bartesho

It is entirely done as one track, live. Only reverb was added.

that's friggin awesome mate!
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby aXL » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Tried a CS60 in a store once, and my mind was well and truly blown apart. Not just by the brilliant sounds, but because it sports a ridiculously easy and hands-on interface. I'd settle for one any day - the massive sound and the ease of use are worth the eventual maintenance over and over again.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.

Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...
aXL

Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Postby plikestechno » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:55 pm

A very reliable seller has a CS50 and a CS60 on the bay still sitting at their starting price of $999.99. They've already tried to sell them once. I'm tempted by either but I a)have no room and b) have too much going on in my life right now to make any massive synth deals. But damn that 60 at that price is so tempting.
plikestechno

Gear: SergeModcanFracMotmEML100AndromedaJupiter6EurOctaveCatSRM CZ1MicrowaveI,IISolinaSEIVProSoloistKorg770Juno60MinitaurMinibruteOP1XoxioMC202JD990TX816

Postby maindeglorie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 pm

The reason that 60 is sitting on the Bay is because the seller is being ridiculous about shipping it, otherwise it would be here with me. I WILL buy one, but I am done emailing that fucking guy. No synth is worth that aggravation.
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Postby plikestechno » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Really? I bought a coupla Rane mixers and some pedals from him and everything was super smooth. I thought he said he'd do UPS.
plikestechno

Gear: SergeModcanFracMotmEML100AndromedaJupiter6EurOctaveCatSRM CZ1MicrowaveI,IISolinaSEIVProSoloistKorg770Juno60MinitaurMinibruteOP1XoxioMC202JD990TX816

Postby maindeglorie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:16 am

That''s what you would think by that question on the auction, but.... I messaged him the first time he listed it and basically got a "no fucking way" response to shipping. So, when he relisted it, I messaged again, and basically got the same reply. A few days later, that question appears on the auction, so I message him and get nothing in reply. I message two days later, and no reply again. Fuck it. I hate difficult people. :-/
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Next

Return to General Synthesizers