Moog Micromoog vs Korg MS-10

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Moog Micromoog vs Korg MS-10

Postby tixxican » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Battle of the reasonably priced mono synth with single oscillator from the 1970's.

Or is it just black and white with these guys?!
tixxican

Advertisement:

Re: Moog Micromoog vs Korg MS-10

Postby nadafarms » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:55 pm

its black and white, both are absolutely great!

ms-10 awesome filter and patching is so minimal it's almost silly to even have.

micromoog awesome filter as well, real close to actual minimoog filter and guess what you can actually mod the filter with the oscillator which to me is a very important mod routing that you can not do on the ms-10.

Thats my biggest gripe is not being able to have osc out patches on the ms-10, there is more flexibility in the pre pathced micromoog.

I think at this point in my life I would go for the micromoog, I would certainly take the micro over the prodigy, rogue mg-1 etc.
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby space6oy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 pm

my vote would be for the MS-10, hands down. got to play w/ a micromoog that was for sale here in cbus, lost interest just on its cheap housing. would still like to try a multimoog despite the plastic, but still... MS-10's & 20's are tanks and sound fantastic.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby BoxPhenom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:59 pm

The Ms-10 is the fattest 1-osc synth I've heard, the pwm is just awesome, I don't know but I doubt you'll find that on the Moog.
BoxPhenom

Postby pflosi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:04 pm

the moog has a clean and nice sounding 24db filter

the ms 10 has a dirty, raw sounding 12db filter

both have loads of character

i prefer moog filters for basses and i love ms10/20 filters (i.e. the resonance) for leads
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby pflosi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:07 pm

nadafarms wrote:...guess what you can actually mod the filter with the oscillator which to me is a very important mod routing that you can not do on the ms-10.

you can use any other synth to do that... i love to do that with my ms10/20 combination 8) the dirty resonance at audio rate fm... aaaaaaaaaawesome
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:41 am

Micromoog, without a doubt.
It vastly exceeds the functionality of the MS-10, and has the great Moog filter coupled with nice American overdriven oscillators. Even if you prefer precise and sharp Japanese oscillators, the Micro blows the MS away in functionality.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:43 am

BoxPhenom wrote:The Ms-10 is the fattest 1-osc synth I've heard, the pwm is just awesome, I don't know but I doubt you'll find that on the Moog.

The Micro has the most awesome "pwm" ever devised as it works with all waveforms.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.

Postby BoxPhenom » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:07 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
BoxPhenom wrote:The Ms-10 is the fattest 1-osc synth I've heard, the pwm is just awesome, I don't know but I doubt you'll find that on the Moog.

The Micro has the most awesome "pwm" ever devised as it works with all waveforms.

Wow, i didn't even know this was possible!
BoxPhenom

Postby nadafarms » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:22 am

honestly it's a toss up and not an easy choice to make, the ms-10 filter is one of the best lowpass I've ever heard but then again so is the micromoog just different. After awhile though I lost interest in the ms series filters, even though I never thought i would, I don't want to have to use a different synths oscillators to mod the filter.

yeah it's super cool being able to modulate from the thinnest pulse wave sound all the way to a saw, funny that the micromoog is stilll a bit cheaper than ms-10s these days :D

AG is way too dramatic about hating on MS synths though... for many people the ms-10 would be more desirable.
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:01 am

nadafarms wrote:AG is way too dramatic about hating on MS synths though... for many people the ms-10 would be more desirable.

Ha ha, I love it.

I have owned two MS-10s, two MS-20s, and an MS-50. I loved all of them, and found them to be extremely fun and effective. They eventually didn't suit my personal tastes, but I'm not going to come on here and speak in an objective voice when what I'm really saying is "it doesn't suit my tastes." I'm talking about function and sound.
The MS series are fun and cool synths, but objectively, they are not as powerful as they seem. The MS series gets a huge amount of hype, but this seems to be largely due to who has played them, the cool (if limited) filter sound the MS-20 generates, and the fact that people assume that because they have jacks they're equivalent to modular.
The moment you realize that on MOST non-modular synths you can just apply the mod wheel for modulation without using up all of your patch cables and ports is the moment you recognize that the "modular" aspect of the MS-20 can be a serious stumbling block to synthesis.

While it is certainly possible that an MS-10 suits someone's taste, performance expectations, layout, etc. better than a Micromoog, it does absolutely no good to answer a thread like this with "try 'em and see." The poster is asking for our viewpoints, and I am giving one based upon functionality and sound. I'm not hatin' on the MS-10. I wouldn't mind having one again... but that's not the same thing as comparing it against the Micromoog.

If you're a person who appreciates the Moog sound, which I'm assuming the OP is as the Micromoog is one of the choices, I suspect they're going to favor the Micromoog due to the fact that it possesses that sound coupled with the fact that it is functionally a more powerful synth.
However, if they are a person who would be swayed by the MS-10s cool design, its thinner clinical Japanese sound, its reliability (yes, the MS-10 is a safer bet in regard to repair... they are really solid and built from off-the-shelf parts, mostly), and the fact that your favorite modern artist used one or an MS-20 which resembles it, then yes... you're going to want the MS-10.

Don't make me list the functions of both synths... it's time consuming and people who worship MS for the sake of MS are never moved by the facts anyway. :wink:
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:04 am

BoxPhenom wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:

Wow, i didn't even know this was possible!

In the case of the Micromoog, the modulation matrix allows the possibility of routing the LFO waveform to control the oscillator waveform. On the Micromoog, the oscillator waveform is a realtime-variable waveform. It doesn't have set waveforms, it has a spectrum of waveform. Turning the waveform knob is like turning a volume knob... there are no settings. It covers the spectrum. When you have the LFO routed to waveform, it cycles back and forth (or whatever) through the spectrum of waveforms. The resultant sound is like PWM, but richer and more interesting.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby RobotHeroes » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:50 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
nadafarms wrote:AG is way too dramatic about everything.

tl;dr

See what you did nadafarms. You know how many people are going to die from reading that? Everyone. If they don't die they will surely turn to stone.

...and that was just a brief response. Come on nada i'll help you put AG back into the ark. We need digital synths to drive him back(he hates those) and prog rock to lull him back into slumber (he loves that shit).

If that doesn't work just start talking about subtractive or something else to piss him off while I sneak up behind him and club him with a DX7 set to a bell patch.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:52 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
nadafarms wrote:AG is way too dramatic about everything.

tl;dr

See what you did nadafarms. You know how many people are going to die from reading that? Everyone. If they don't die they will surely turn to stone.

...and that was just a brief response. Come on nada i'll help you put AG back into the ark. We need digital synths to drive him back(he hates those) and prog rock to lull him back into slumber (he loves that shit).

If that doesn't work just start talking about subtractive or something else to piss him off while I sneak up behind him and club him with a DX7 set to a bell patch.

The bell patch is better than that fucking "electric piano" patch. GOD I HATE THAT
:::hums [insert famous prog rock song] to self::::: *

*Shit, I don't even know what would count as a famous prog rock song. :oops:
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby space6oy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:*Shit, I don't even know what would count as a famous prog rock song. :oops:

something hideous by rush.
which means anything by rush.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts