Korg Triton: PC HOST possible without elusive AG-001B cable?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg Triton: PC HOST possible without elusive AG-001B cable?

Postby ShropshireFad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm looking to connect my Korg Triton up to the computer so i can trigger drum patterns/arpeggios through logic. According to the manual I need an AG-001B cable plus "korg midi driver software" (no more details supplied) in order to HOST the Triton on the computer. The cable seems to be obsolete though since i can't find one for sale anywhere.....
Does anybody know if there is a more recent equivalent of this cable? Or, indeed, if theres another way of doing this altogether?

I've tried looking on Korg forums but i can't find anything specifically-related. Perhaps this is something obvious and i'm alone in my ignorance, so could somebody please shed some light!

I'm using Logic 5.5 on a Dell Dimension 5150 that has (if this helps):

2 PCI slots
1 PCIe x 1 slot
1 PCIe x 16 (graphics) slot

8 USB 2.0 ports - 2 front/5 back/1 internal for media card reader
1 integrated graphics port

Cheers ***
ShropshireFad

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Triton: PC HOST possible without elusive AG-001B cable?

Postby Hugo76 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:26 pm

Yes. Buy a midi cable and connect it to the pc via a midi adapter.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 pm

The original Triton was pre-USB, the "To Host" connection is meant for a PC parallel port or Mac serial port...both obsolete ways of connecting.

Like Hugo76 wrote, just get a USB-MIDI interface.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby ShropshireFad » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks guys. So i just go for a two way midi connection through the midi adaptor that i ordinarily use to play vst's with my contoller keyboard (i.e. the midi adaptor you mentioned is the one that normally converts the midi cable into the soundcard pci slot.

**** This way i can trigger tones through midi on logic to come from the Triton BACK onto the logic sequence?***

This is Logic 5.5 i'm talking about. Will i need to change any settings from those i use to trigger the vsts?
I guess it's probably a completely different channel?

I think ''ve opened up a whole new subject, but this part of recording is completely alien to me and i could do with a pointer!
ShropshireFad

Postby McHale » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:24 am

The cable is nothing special. The pinouts are in your manual. I made mine. All you need is an old PS2 mouse or keyboard. Cut the mouse/keyboard off and pick up a DB9 serial adaper at Radio Shack and solder up. Took me about 5 minutes to make and cost about 5 bucks...

-Mc
McHale

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:40 am

it goes to a PC serial port, not parallel. I have a cable like that, i got it for my Alesis QS6 which i no longer have.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Return to General Synthesizers